PDA

View Full Version : Batting Helmet Display Cases: NEED HELP!

frikativ54
10-05-2012, 08:06 PM
I just got a nice game-used batting helmet, and it is a treasure to me. I don't want any dust or dirt getting to it and want to display it in a way that lasts. The helmet has a crack in the bill and it could easily break into two pieces, if the case does not protect it.

I've been looking on this forum and on eBay for display options, and none has really appealed to me. Except for maybe this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Baseball-Batting-Helmet-Display-Case-/300441682319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3b8418f.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourself-er, so I'm not looking to build a display case from scratch. I'm more looking for a case that is easy to install and that will preserve this helmet.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you. :)

HawaiiSportsNut
10-06-2012, 02:18 AM
The case on eBay looks good. It also didn't mention having a stand for the helmet. I would suggest that you also purchase a stand, especially if the helmet has a single ear flap. The stand would also take the weight of the bill of the helmet.

frikativ54
10-06-2012, 05:45 AM
The case on eBay looks good. It also didn't mention having a stand for the helmet. I would suggest that you also purchase a stand, especially if the helmet has a single ear flap. The stand would also take the weight of the bill of the helmet.

Yes - It is a single ear flap right-handed helmet. Where would I go about purchasing a stand? Is it better to just choose another option that already comes with a stand? I wouldn't know where to buy one. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

loanapprover
10-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I can vouch for that case I have bought a couple from that seller and they look great.

icollectDCsports
10-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Here's a stand on eBay, but probably too tall to fit in a display case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLB-Baseball-Full-Size-Batting-Helmet-STAND-HOLDER-/360493559599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ef172f2f

I think this case better than the one you posted. Although it's advertised for football helmets, I think it would also work for batting helmets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-NEW-YORK-GIANTS-ACRYLIC-FOOTBALL-HELMET-DISPLAY-CASE-FREE-CUSTOM-ENGRAVING-/290785317590?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43b427d2d6

My preference is to display helmets without cases. However, if your helmet is fragile due to cracks and you need to protect it because it will be in a place where people will pick it up and handle it unless it's under a case, then I can see the value in protecting it under a case.

icollectDCsports
10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Here's a stand on eBay, but probably too tall to fit in a display case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLB-Baseball-Full-Size-Batting-Helmet-STAND-HOLDER-/360493559599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ef172f2f

I think this case better than the one you posted. Although it's advertised for football helmets, I think it would also work for batting helmets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-NEW-YORK-GIANTS-ACRYLIC-FOOTBALL-HELMET-DISPLAY-CASE-FREE-CUSTOM-ENGRAVING-/290785317590?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item43b427d2d6

My preference is to display helmets without cases. However, if your helmet is fragile due to cracks and you need to protect it because it will be in a place where people will pick it up and handle it unless it's under a case, then I can see the value in protecting it under a case.

I meant to say "I like this case better than the one you posted."

frikativ54
10-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I can vouch for that case I have bought a couple from that seller and they look great.

What do you do with the single ear-flap helmet? Does it still look good in the Octagon case? I just can't have a ton of weight on the bill.

rufusandherschel
10-06-2012, 11:48 AM
What do you do with the single ear-flap helmet? Does it still look good in the Octagon case? I just can't have a ton of weight on the bill.

Why not get the helmet stand on eBay mentioned in the previous post and have the center 'post' cut down to support the helmet and fit INside the octagon case. That should not be difficult to do. Get a friend or local hobby shop to do it for you. It's just plexiglass that can be easily re-glued to the base (or to the top helmet support) - which ever way you decide to go - with acrylic cement (e.g., Super Glue)

frikativ54
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
What about this one:

http://www.americansportscollectibles.com/battinghelmetdisplaycases.html?

It's way more expensive, but I don't know a lot of do-it-yourself people to cut down plexiglass.

5toolplayer
10-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I just got a nice game-used batting helmet, and it is a treasure to me. I don't want any dust or dirt getting to it and want to display it in a way that lasts. The helmet has a crack in the bill and it could easily break into two pieces, if the case does not protect it.

I've been looking on this forum and on eBay for display options, and none has really appealed to me. Except for maybe this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-Baseball-Batting-Helmet-Display-Case-/300441682319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3b8418f.

I'm not much of a do-it-yourself-er, so I'm not looking to build a display case from scratch. I'm more looking for a case that is easy to install and that will preserve this helmet.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Thank you. :)

Who did u get??? I HOPE the store can get me a Montero helmet. PS...they NEVER called me back after I called 2x for those bats. I've bought like 5 off them and I still dont even get a call or email back??? Come on

rufusandherschel
10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
What about this one:

http://www.americansportscollectibles.com/battinghelmetdisplaycases.html?

It's way more expensive, but I don't know a lot of do-it-yourself people to cut down plexiglass.

How 'secure' do you want the 'helmet stand' to be? If the 'support' for the helmet does NOT have to be secured to the base (of a helmet stand) or bottom/floor of the display case, I might think about using the display case with the Broncos football helmet (previously mentioned for $45 + shipping) and a tall, clear drinking glass to support the helmet. That set-up would resemble the last mentioned display case with a football helmet, would be considerably less expensive than any of the previous options/recommendation, AND still look nice and professional (IMO).

Just a thought! Good luck!

loanapprover
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM

That display stand should have no problem fitting in the display case. The glass top is almost 12 inches high. I think I might get one too right now I just have the helmets by themselves inside.

icollectDCsports
10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
That display stand should have no problem fitting in the display case. The glass top is almost 12 inches high. I think I might get one too right now I just have the helmets by themselves inside.

Actually, I think you're right. The photo of the stand in the listing shows the helmet flap pretty close to the base of the stand, and helmets are 8 inches or so high from flap to top, so that combination might work after all.

As for the other case with the 4 gold pedestals, I'm not a fan because I think the gold looks cheesy. I think the highlight of the game worn display should be the helmet, not a flashy and cheesy case. Just my opinion.

MarinersFan34
10-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I like the look of these;

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1896062&cp=1452366.1452895.1229628

I have one similar that fits a fielding glove. This gives a spot for an auto'd ball or a game used hit/rbi ball. That's the setup I'd go with to put on a shelf or bookcase.

frikativ54
10-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Who did u get??? I HOPE the store can get me a Montero helmet. PS...they NEVER called me back after I called 2x for those bats. I've bought like 5 off them and I still dont even get a call or email back??? Come on

I got a Justin Smoak, my favorite Mariner. I'm a huge fan, even though he hasn't lived up to his potential yet. Thanks to Jeremy for letting me know about it and for picking it up for me. :D I'm so glad to have it, and it definitely won't be leaving my collection.

So sorry that the M's Team Shop never called you back. :( After my out-of-town company leaves, I will call up the Mariners and find out what happened. I hope the bat I had on hold for you is still in stock.

Helmets are hard to get. Unless a player cracks one, they are difficult to find. I'll check the store and FanFest for you, and I'll pick a Montero up if I see one. This year, I've seen a Michael Saunders and Brendan Ryan, but not much beyond that. Last year, they had Trayvon and Casper Wells; I have the latter.

frikativ54
10-07-2012, 03:04 AM
How 'secure' do you want the 'helmet stand' to be? If the 'support' for the helmet does NOT have to be secured to the base (of a helmet stand) or bottom/floor of the display case, I might think about using the display case with the Broncos football helmet (previously mentioned for $45 + shipping) and a tall, clear drinking glass to support the helmet. That set-up would resemble the last mentioned display case with a football helmet, would be considerably less expensive than any of the previous options/recommendation, AND still look nice and professional (IMO).

Just a thought! Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion; it's definitely one to think about. I'm hoping for it to be at least somewhat secure, in case of earthquake or other disaster. But that's a good idea to save money. Too bad the one with the circular support is $130 with UV protection; that price could buy me another game-used helmet.

Astros1994
10-07-2012, 03:12 AM
Helmets are hard to get. Unless a player cracks one, they are difficult to find.

Les,

It is my understanding that all Major League teams are to switch over to the new S100 batting helmets for the 2013 season. If that is the case you should be seeing a lot of batting helmets on the market in the near future.

Scott

frikativ54
10-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Les,

It is my understanding that all Major League teams are to switch over to the new S100 batting helmets for the 2013 season. If that is the case you should be seeing a lot of batting helmets on the market in the near future.

Scott

Hey Scott,

Nice to hear from you. What about the S100s means there will be more on the market? Do they crack easily?

Astros1994
10-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Hey Scott,

Nice to hear from you. What about the S100s means there will be more on the market? Do they crack easily?

The reason I think there will be more batting helmets available soon is with the switch to the S100's all of helmets used up till now, other than the few S100's already in use, can no longer be used. Since the teams cannot use the helmets and can't recycle them to the minors I think they will end up selling their 2012 helmets and any old stock they have on hand.

frikativ54
10-07-2012, 03:44 AM
The reason I think there will be more batting helmets available soon is with the switch to the S100's all of helmets used up till now, other than the few S100's already in use, can no longer be used. Since the teams cannot use the helmets and can't recycle them to the minors I think they will end up selling their 2012 helmets and any old stock they have on hand.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll be going to the M's home opener next year (against Houston :D ), so I'll have to check things out.