PDA

View Full Version : Authentic Russell Jerseys?

astros*bats
12-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I know that the "0062" is the game used identifier for Majestic Jerseys but what about Russell jerseys? Is there any way to distinguish between store bought authentic Russell jerseys and game worn Russell Jerseys? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-AJ

island_style
12-12-2005, 01:43 AM
I know that the "0062" is the game used identifier for Majestic Jerseys but what about Russell jerseys? Is there any way to distinguish between store bought authentic Russell jerseys and game worn Russell Jerseys? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-AJ
AJ,

First, I am not a jersey expert and do not claim to be one. However, I have viewed some "0062" Majestic jerseys in a team store here on the West Coast that were being sold as regular jerseys with player names and/or numbers. Just the same, other Forum members may advise that "6200" retail-coded jerseys have reportedly been used in games. The Majestic tagging the past few years have varied from team-to-team. Go figure, but always do your homework. It's good that you asked as there are a lot of educated collectors who contribute to this Forum.

In response to your Russell jersey question (and further knowledge from other Forum members is greatly appreciated!), there are some noticeable differences between retail and team-issued jerseys.

Here are some differences between retail and team-issued jerseys (not all variations, I might add):

Russell Athletics size tag sewn into the collar (retail)
No size tag sewn into the collar (team-issued)
100% Polyester flag tag and/or year tag sewn into the Russell Athletic Authentic Collection wash tag (team-issued)
Sizes 46 and 50 have not been available on retail jerseys since 1992
Some teams also had strip tags with the players' names and/or numbers
The Cincinnati Reds also have a Property of Cincinnati Reds strip tag sewn to their team-issued jerseys
Detroit Tigers and Milwaukee Brewers used an inventory tag sewn to their jerseys
Chicago Cubs had a uniform number, size and set number tag sewn into the collar
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

By no means is the above set in stone (I'm sure that there have been variations with the teams), but it may help with some basic questions you have about Russell Athletics retail vs. team-issued jerseys. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

island_style