PDA

View Full Version : Sick of the "Guaranteed 100%" statement

jake33
10-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I guess it is me getting older and being in the hobby for 14 years, where I am getting a bit more bitter.

I am really getting sick of auctions/sales where the statement Guaranteeing something to be 100% authentic. What does that mean? It is a fluff statement with no real teeth to it. It reminds me in my hometown a gas station that guarantees that their gas "will never cause fuel related problems in your car." Again a fluff statement with no real backbone. However, I have an arguement to to contrary. In 4 different cars that I have owned and driven in the last 15 years, when I have used their gasoline I have gotten worse gas mileage as opposed to other gases that I have used (same grade). Now to me, I would call that a "fuel related problem." So what could I get in return to a guarantee that is inaccurate. Probably nothing. If I took them to court, I am sure my mileage and gas use per each tank would have a flaw a decent lawyer could find. Also, what would be the point of going to court over that, when I can just choose to NOT purchase gas from that supplier.

No with game used, does the 100% guarantee mean that the seller will cover your return and give you a full refund? And that 100% claim, does that mean they 100% fully accept the consequences for an item that is found to not be 100% authentic? Probably not. It is a cliche that I would like to see evaporate in this industry.

What is nice about baseball game used items is the ability to let the hologram do the talking, evn though PSA/DNA does a decent job with their authentication. I would like to see the NFL and all sports go to mirror the authentication program of MLB.

BarryMeisel
10-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi Jake,

As co-owner of MeiGray, and Director of the NBA & MGG Game-Worn Authentication Program, I can only speak for items we authenticate and sell.

And the answer is, yes, when we say 100% Guaranteed authentic we back that up with a money back for life guarantee on the items we sell.

And that's easy for us to do because our 100% Guaranteed means something concrete, and not vague. We photo match and/or conclusively prove the authenticity of every item we sell.

It is not some vague notion that is impossible to prove. If you buy, for example, a Lebron James game-worn jersey we would be able to offer you the exact information regarding the game/games the jersey was worn, and show you a photo from that/those games that conclusively matches and proves the jersey as 100% game-worn.

And MeiGray will be making this same lifetime money back guarantee on every NFL item we sell. We are currently negotiating NFL team deals and hope to have some big news shortly.

Thanks, Barry

joelsabi
10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi Jake,

As co-owner of MeiGray, and Director of the NBA & MGG Game-Worn Authentication Program, I can only speak for items we authenticate and sell.

And the answer is, yes, when we say 100% Guaranteed authentic we back that up with a money back for life guarantee on the items we sell.

And that's easy for us to do because our 100% Guaranteed means something concrete, and not vague. We photo match and/or conclusively prove the authenticity of every item we sell.

It is not some vague notion that is impossible to prove. If you buy, for example, a Lebron James game-worn jersey we would be able to offer you the exact information regarding the game/games the jersey was worn, and show you a photo from that/those games that conclusively matches and proves the jersey as 100% game-worn.

And MeiGray will be making this same lifetime money back guarantee on every NFL item we sell. We are currently negotiating NFL team deals and hope to have some big news shortly.

Thanks, Barry

+1

I used to think MLB Authentication was the best authenticating process but I have to say tagging prior to use and then tracking seems to be the best method.

Do you tag only jersey prior to use or do you do the same thing for hockey sticks. What is your authentication process for hockey sticks?>

BarryMeisel
10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi Joel,

We cannot tag hockey sticks, as they are player-owned and not team-owned. Plus, it would not be practical.

We use photo matching techniques for sticks, or authentic them as practice/game-used if we cannot conclusively determine they were used in games.

Barry

mbenga28
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Thanks, Barry

Barry, this is very exciting to hear. Will you be dealing with all the NFL teams or only a selected few? Thank you.

BarryMeisel
10-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Mbenga.

Selected few.

Stay tuned.

Barry

jake33
10-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks Barry, I would say MeiGray is a company that really is strong enough to actually have value is saying an item is 100% authentic, I call in question individuals who sell items moreso with the claim.

Great news on NFL items, I won't hold my breath but would love to see if Buccaneers gamers got in the mix.

CollectGU
10-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Barry,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I had called and emailed your company without a response. I have a yankees 2011 home jersey with mlb authentication that I belive can be photo matched based to getty images based on the placement of the logo and numbers with regards to the stripes.

I would like to have it photo matched by Meigray knowing you ahve access to high resoltion getty images . Do you offer this service, and if so can someone contact me with pricing.

thanks,
Dave
djob0001@yahoo.com

BULBUS
10-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Barry,

I hope it's the Giants, not that I'd be able to afford anything lol But there are always sales, auctions and the secondary market :D

BarryMeisel
10-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Dave,

Stu of my staff just e-mailed you.
You can reach him at soxenhorn@meigray.com

Barry

cohibasmoker
10-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Back in the day, "Guaranteed 100%" was immediately followed with "Guaranteed for Life". Today, those statements have been replaced with "Do your homework before Bidding" and "No returns".

Man, how things have changed.

Jim