PDA

View Full Version : Eventually NFL authentication like MLB's?

jake33
10-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Curious of what people thought the chances are the the NFL would mirror the authentication program that MLB has? I know they use NFl auctions and PSA/DNA, but look at the growth MLB has done with their authentication.

I look at the authenticated MLB "hit balls" which has gained collector interest, and noticably on this site as well as ebay. That authenication really has grown leaps and bounds from the generic game used baseball authentication that was typical 5 years ago, where just the date of the game and the 2 teams who played was all the ball was authenticated too, not very exciting.

However, when do you think we will see growth in NFL authentication on game balls to specific events? Below would be some neat examples of authenticated NFL game balls to specific in-game events

A carry where your favorite running back went over 100 yards rushing for the day, or a career milestone rush where he went over 8,000 ; 9,000 or 10,000 yards.

Or how about authenticated Completed passes from your favorite QB

Or reception by a receiver to get in the 500 catch-club

Or forced fumble/interception milestones

You sometimes see "kickoff" balls on NFL auctions. But I wonder how far we are away from authenticating specific plays, receptions, touchdowns, "70 yard punt", or historic plays like the tuck rule play. Not 3rd party authentication after the fact, but in game authentication.

I know in the game used sports memorabilia world baseball is the leader in general terms (with a great cult following for hockey items), but I really think the NFL is way behind the curve on their potential and I am curious on when this next level is reached in their authentication process.

TBTwinsFan
10-11-2012, 02:45 PM
I would like to see it happen, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we do see this eventually.

Baseball seems to use much more stuff in-game than any other sport, and they can authenticate things to the teeth, so the NFL should be able to do it with no problem.

That's how I see it anyway. Eventually, I would love to see all the major sports be able to do this, and even colleges.

alexbartacustoms
10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Also, in the NFL, the clubs provide their own footballs. The league provides the "K" or kicker balls for each game. That's why you see lots of kick-off balls listed on NFL Auctions.
Most teams allow players to keep TD balls.
I don't see a lot of players giving up a TD ball or a milestone ball for the league to auction off.

I do like the idea of a pass from your favorite QB, catch by a certain WR, or a carry by a certain RB. I could see that happen...