PDA

View Full Version : Fraudulent Houston Astros COA

hfd0035
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
I recently purchased a 2007/2008 GU Roy Oswalt Home Jerseywith an Astros COA from forum member eGameused/ Chris Boyd described with“heavy wear”. Later to find out thejersey was issued and the COA was a fraudulentcopy. Heres the story on my very first GU Astros purchase….

It all started when I emailed Boyd about the Oswalt jerseyshe posted for sale on the forum for $250 each. In the email he said he also had an Oswaltthat was not posted on the forum with an Astros COA for $350. I chose the one with the COA and made plans tomeet.

On 9/27 I took my wife to dinner and then met with Boydaround 9PM to pick up the Oswalt jersey. We met in a mall parking lot next to the place we ate at. During theexchange, it was dark, jersey was nice and coded 0062, Boyd seemed nice, sothanks and goodbye. I got home late that night so I just set the jersey asidesince I had to work in the morning. Whos gonna screw you over $350 bucks,right? Wrong! Later on, when I closely inspected the jersey it looked issuedand the COA was a printed copy. I became worried and emailed Boyd about myconcerns 10/1. I also contacted Mike Acosta, the Astros Authentication Manager,to ask what an Astros COA looks like. Boyd responded to a few emails and then textmessaged me that he may have gotten theOswalt jersey mixed up with another and would exchange it for a differentOswalt jersey and a choice from his list of early 90s Astros jerseys. When Iresponded back via text messegeinquiring about my choices on the early 90s jerseys on 10/2, Igot no response. A few days later Mike Acosta got back with me and we set up ameeting for Thursday 10/11 since he wanted to see the COA in person.
Now the meeting with Mike Acosta. I showed Mike Acosta theletter and he immediatelty said that theCOA was a copy and never written or signed by himself. Also, the jersey was morethan likely issued and never worn. Acosta also stated that there are certainthings he puts in a jersey COA description and that he personally types and signseach Astros COA in ink. NO COPIES. Mike Acosta was so disappointed that one ofhis Astros letters was falsified that he replaced the jersey and letter that I purchased from Boyd and gave me a heavilyworn 2002 Roy Oswalt jersey with a COA. How awesome is that! Acosta also kept thefraudulent Astros COA as he said he wants to turn it in to MLB for review.

Anyway, I just wantedto post this and warn members about fraudulent Houston Astros COAs. This was myfirst Astros gamer and I’ll take it as a lesson learned. This hobby is supposedto be fun and I hope someone can learn from my mistake of not doing my homeworkon sellers or COAs. I would have neverthought a forum member would burn me but oh well. Thank you to the forummembers that helped me with Astros information. If you think your Astros COA isquestionable you may want to contact Mike Acosta, he’s a great guy btw.
So thank you for not responding back when I asked what myoptions were on the swap for this jersey. You never responded to my last textand now Mike Acosta Houston Astros Authentication Manager has the issued Oswaltand fraudulent/ fake whatever you want to call it, Astros team letter. I do notknow where or how you got the Oswalt COA you sold me but I would assume thatsomeone that has been collecting/selling as long as you have, that you would know what you are doing.

ASTROS TEAM LETTERS ARE NOT COPIES. EACH COA SHOULD BESIGNED BY MIKE ACOSTA IN INK. BEWARE.

bd300
10-15-2012, 11:08 PM
That stinks that a fellow forum member did that to you. I'm glad to hear that Mike replaced the jersey with a real game used jersey. He's a great guy for doing that.

Klattsy
10-16-2012, 12:23 AM
This would also be a good time for me to note that I have a paypal dispute with Chris at the moment. I paid for some RRS spring training pants which never arrived. I have emailed Chris 2x and also submitted a paypal dispute (3 days ago with no contact). In the time I have been chasing Chris he has been posting here still.

I mention as the overwhelming feedback in another thread was to call members out.

trsent
10-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Happy to hear you got something nice in the end. I have one question about this whole situation that confuses me.

I thought dealers were not allowed to sell on the C to C marketplace per forum rules. Is this rule still in effect? I was told I couldn't sell on this forum (thought I can buy) as I am classified as a deal.

Here is the text from the C to C rules post:

"Participation in GUU Collector to Collector Classifieds forum is subject to the agreement of the following:

This forum is intended for collectors to sell among themselves. It is not intended for dealers, businesses or professional teams looking to sell their merchandise but simply a collector forum."

I hope someone can clarify on this topic.

BurlesonBlue
10-16-2012, 02:12 AM
I'll go ahead and throw in my experience with eGameUsed.

I bought a couple of game used baseballs from him a couple of months ago and while getting them took a lot longer than I thought it would, they were a great price and exactly as advertised. So my experience with him was good, sorry to hear that some of you are having issues.

frikativ54
10-16-2012, 03:00 AM
First of all, I want to say that as a fellow Astros' collector, this situation disappoints me greatly. I had always trusted that items with an Astros' LOA were legitimate. When things like this happens, they undermine my trust in team letters. Collectors should be able to have confidence in team LOAs.

I have the same questions as Joel about the Collector to Collector Classifieds. I thought dealers were not allowed to sell there. I emailed the moderators a while back asking about such things, and I did not get a response. So I just figured that it was a free-for-all for anyone who wanted to post there.

Sad to say, my experience with Chris Boyd has not been positive either. Those of you who are new to the forum may not remember eGameUsed's past history with game used bats, but it bears mentioning here. A few years back, Boyd was called out for doctoring a Pujols and a Carlos Lee bat. He later confessed.

Here are the threads:

Pujols bat (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1447&highlight=stars+added)

Carlos Lee bat (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10353&highlight=stars+added)

Chris later admitted to doctoring both bats (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=115973&postcount=63), in a thread where I called into question his listing a game issued Bagwell bat on his website as game used. Boyd later sold the bat on eBay as game issued with no use whatsoever.

I know these threads are from a few years back, but I don't think that obviates the need to examine eGameUsed's history. In the context of the Team Letter, it tells a lot about the ethics of the man we are dealing with.

Here's a thread from only a year ago about a questionable Biggio jersey (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=41341&highlight=biggio) sourced to a Chris Boyd sale. As I recall, it was like pulling teeth for the guy who bought it to get his money back. Boyd eventually refunded the buyer, but it took pressure from me and other forum members for the guy to see any money.

In closing, I am very disappointed to read about this situation, but I'm glad to hear that it was made right by Mike Acosta with the Houston Astros. I've worked with Mike as well, and he is an excellent guy. He really was under no obligation to replace the jersey, but he did the right thing and made the situation better.

But where is Chris Boyd in all of this? Why the silence? If someone has a problem with an item, why not try to correct the situation? IMO, it's suspicious that he didn't immediately refund the forum member. If I were to ever have a problem with one of my transactions, I'd make it right immediately. I want my buyers to be happy and for them to be able to put their trust in me.

jwal23
10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Sending you a PM

Preston
10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I think I'm the black sheep here by saying I actually had a positive experience with Chris. I purchased a game worn Willy Taveras fielding glove at the Nationals, which I planned on keeping but Chris offered to pay me 500% of what I paid for it so of course I had to accept that offer - paid promptly and I shipped as soon as I received payment. Did offer to trade and do a cash and trade which I respectfully declined BUT still went through with his deal and didn't back down.

Sad that someone could get burned and was burned by another forum member (or anyone) - is it possible Chris did not know he had a bad item, or is the thought process that he knowingly passed a bad item to someone else? I'm believing the consensus here is that it's the latter.

Not sure what the state law is there but if he's lucky, under $500 is just a misdemeanor like it is in Tennessee...

TFig27
10-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I too purchased an Astros jersey (Aaron Boone) from Chris Boyd that came with a fraudulent letter. I sent scans to Mike Acosta.

Not good, not good at all

tella27
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
I posted about egameused a few months ago - bought a jersey from him and it took almost 3 months to get. This was the jersey when he said he shipped it but wouldnt give me the tracking info. It took getting the police involved to get the jersey sent. I posted in his thread all the emails and nasty text messages but the Mod later deleted all of it.

My question is why is this member still allowed to troll this forum ripping people off and nothing is done about it? This is the 3 time he's been found to sell "doctored" items - this isnt opinions these are facts that are proved and the last one being direct from Mike. This member is nothing but trash and is backed by solid proof. This person should not be allowed to be on GUU any longer.

I tried to warn others that this guy was nothing but a scam artist but the Mods took down my post. I hope others read this thread and blackball him if for some reason he is not kicked off here.

tella27
10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
I think I'm the black sheep here by saying I actually had a positive experience with Chris. I purchased a game worn Willy Taveras fielding glove at the Nationals, which I planned on keeping but Chris offered to pay me 500% of what I paid for it so of course I had to accept that offer - paid promptly and I shipped as soon as I received payment. Did offer to trade and do a cash and trade which I respectfully declined BUT still went through with his deal and didn't back down.

Sad that someone could get burned and was burned by another forum member (or anyone) - is it possible Chris did not know he had a bad item, or is the thought process that he knowingly passed a bad item to someone else? I'm believing the consensus here is that it's the latter.

Not sure what the state law is there but if he's lucky, under $500 is just a misdemeanor like it is in Tennessee...

Once might be a mistake but over 4 times is a scam artist plain and simple. He knows what he is doing - he doctors the items himself.

Preston
10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Once might be a mistake but over 4 times is a scam artist plain and simple. He knows what he is doing - he doctors the items himself.

I guess I got EXTREMELY lucky then because I actually was the one doing the selling, and in this case, had the power.

People like that that knowingly commit fraud should be placed in prison. Period.

joelsabi
10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Has me concerned that a member would behave this way and not return your emails. Also I see egameused is selling other Astros jerseys in the classifieds. Looking at his extensive Astros inventory, I would think he was a dealer. It doesn't make sense to me that egameused cannot recognize a copy as opposed to an original team COA.

I hope C. Boyd can explained where he got this COA from or explain it to MLB or Mike Acosta should they pursue the problem further.

hfd0035
10-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I am sure Boyd has some good items as I hear he is usually the first one to the Astros Game Used Kiosk on game days. That said, I was only posting to help educate and warn future buyers. It would also be nice if everyone else came forward and I am sure if you have a questionable Astros COA Mike Acosta would like to see it. From what I have been told from Mike Acosta personally he normally only does a COA for higher end items. Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens, etc and/or at a special request occasionally like the Oswalt I recieved from Acosta due to this situation. There is also a forum member here that gets them as the member and Acosta are close. But still, those are for players like Berkman, Pettitte, World Series Jerseys, etc. I do not think an Aaron Boone or the issued Oswalt I purchased from Boyd would even recieve a COA from the Astros, though I could be wrong.

As far as Boyd being a dealer I am not sure but I think he used to be. His name pops up on google under Houston Sports Investments. As well as some bad reviews for HSI.

Also, why would the mods delete posts that help educate people? Especially if this is happening to quite a few people by the same person. Wasnt this site created to educate, share thoughts with other collectors, collector to collector sales, etc? I mean this was my very first Houston Astros GU experience and it started off pretty crappy.

I say everyone come forward so we can keep this from happening again to someone else and so we can keep this fun like it is supposed to be.

sox83cubs84
10-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Chris...would you care to defend yourself?

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I just got an email from a guy who's not a member, but registered and has to wait a couple days to post. He said that he also bought a jersey from Boyd; "2007 Roy Oswalt #44 Home Red Alternate Jersey (Heavy Use and Washing!!!), Majestic $250." The jersey came with absolutely no use and was likely game issued. In this case there was no LOA. But it was the same story; the guy got burned from a Boyd item. Sounds like he'll give more details when he is able to comment on here. :(

Astros1994
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I too purchased an Astros jersey (Aaron Boone) from Chris Boyd that came with a fraudulent letter. I sent scans to Mike Acosta.

Not good, not good at all

I was wondering if you could post a scan of the fraudulent Astros LOA for the Aaron Boone jersey. I have received dozens of LOA's from Mike and would be interested in how they differ from a bad one.

Thanks,

Scott

Preston
10-17-2012, 04:58 PM
I was wondering if you could post a scan of the fraudulent Astros LOA for the Aaron Boone jersey. I have received dozens of LOA's from Mike and would be interested in how they differ from a bad one.

Thanks,

Scott

That and any evidence that's suitable/relevant/appropriate for us to see i.e. communication, the fake LOA, the fake item(s). Anything helps!

eGameUsed
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
All,

Just saw the post. It looks like the forum was down for a couple days. I initially contacted Mike Axosta when I rsearched this following Greg's concern. Unfortunately, my last communication with Greg was o 10/2 as we were trying to work a resolution. I show to have replied last to Greg. I did not receive any other communication from Greg until this was posted. I do regret I lost track of the communication with Greg, due to some business travel and work related issues. I should not be selling as many of you pointed out, as I do get pulled away from hom very often in my line of work.

I contacted MIke Acosta yesterday and let me know what was going on. I do have a dialogue going with Mike Acosta. I was contacted by a person names Patrick via text in late July saying he had Astros jerseys and bats he was looking to move. He was a local person that had a local phone number. I was offered 5 jerseys and a Biggio bat, all with Astros LOAs. I know Mike sells jerseys and Biggio bats with LOAs as they are on ebay all the time. I ended up purchasing the 5 jerseys, but passed on the bat. We agreed to meet and had a agreed upon price. Upon meeting, I checked each jersey and all looked good. I briefly looked at the COAs, but no issue. I did look at the Biggio bat COA closer as I was interested in what it said and I do personally collect Biggio bats. This occured in late July. The price of the jerseys was higher than what the Astros were offering these for at the time on the $50 Flashback Friday sales, but they were good names and the letters seemed appealing.

In regard to the letters, I have purchased 309 jerseys from the Astros authentics program since 2009, and I have personally only received 4 COAs from jerseys from Mike. I strongly requested these LOAs as they were for high end items in my collection. As Mike knows, I did not press the issue on LOAs owed from the past as I know he is busy and it is a big list. Mike rarely offers LOAs now as it is a time conuming task. If I wanted letters for any jerseys, I am sure he would have granted those to me eventually. There is another ebay seller and forum member that has a lot of Astros LOAs, so assume Mike would have obliged me as well. In addition, I have purchased one bat and one jersey from ebay with COAs. I also purchased these 5 jerseys from the seller in July.

Call me naive, but I was more worried about the jerseys at the time. I only personally started to sell off some jerseys at the end of the season as 1. I way overbought this year at the $50 sales and 2. purchased a few older Astros items from a estate and wanted to get some money back. You can look at my ebay history and forum history and see I do not sell often.

I do not refer to myself as a dealer any longer and did receive permission from the moderators prior to posting last year. Originally I posted a for sale add, it was removed, and then was granted permission after asking if I could sale.

I have been collecting, buying, selling, for 24 years. I have been burned countless times. I have made stupid mistakes and decisions in the past, but assure the forum/community I did not create these LOAs.

As stated above, I am working with Mike Acosta on this and hope to help with any informtation he needs.

Leslie . . . Barry Gallace contacted me two weeks ago with his concerns over the use on the jersey. I admitted to him that I felt I overstated the use and or sent him thw wrong jersey. I recently purchased multiple Oswalt jerseys at the last two Flashback Friday sales. I offered him to swap the jersey or refund, and he said he did not have time to send things back and forth. He contacted me today and asked for a refund. I have granted that and told him I would promptly refund as soon as he send it back, including return shipping.

Thanks,

eGameUsed
10-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Greg,

I regret your first Astros transaction was sour. I am sincerely sorry for that and please understand I meant no ill intent. I do not know how we broke communication, but wish I could have helped you.

I have been doing this for 24 years and guess I took for granted the LOAs. I was not trying to pass something I knew off as bad to you.

Mike Acosta is a good guy and has helped Astros collectibles tremendoudly. He has advised me on items and I have done the same for him. I have seen a lot, but this one got past me.

Fortunately for me, I was not out a TON of money. I am glad that Astros jersyes prices have come down significantly since 2009 when the Astros started releasing these, or I would have been out even more.

Thanks,

rays54
10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Never a bad dealing on this end.

hfd0035
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
[quote=eGameUsed;305916]All,

Just saw the post. It looks like the forum was down for a couple days. I initially contacted Mike Axosta when I rsearched this following Greg's concern. Unfortunately, my last communication with Greg was o 10/2 as we were trying to work a resolution. I show to have replied last to Greg. I did not receive any other communication from Greg until this was posted. I do regret I lost track of the communication with Greg, due to some business travel and work related issues. I should not be selling as many of you pointed out, as I do get pulled away from hom very often in my line of work.

Leslie . . . Barry Gallace contacted me two weeks ago with his concerns over the use on the jersey. I admitted to him that I felt I overstated the use and or sent him thw wrong jersey. I recently purchased multiple Oswalt jerseys at the last two Flashback Friday sales. I offered him to swap the jersey or refund, and he said he did not have time to send things back and forth. He contacted me today and asked for a refund. I have granted that and told him I would promptly refund as soon as he send it back, including return shipping.

For what its worth, I show the last communication in green 10/2 9:00PM. Your reply is in grey 10/16 5:52AM. Also notice the same issues with my Oswalt and Barrys. No wear on either that were described heavy wear.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/hfd0035/boyd.png
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/hfd0035/boyd2.png
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/hfd0035/boyd3.png

Preston
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
First of all, I want to say that as a fellow Astros' collector, this situation disappoints me greatly. I had always trusted that items with an Astros' LOA were legitimate. When things like this happens, they undermine my trust in team letters. Collectors should be able to have confidence in team LOAs.

I have the same questions as Joel about the Collector to Collector Classifieds. I thought dealers were not allowed to sell there. I emailed the moderators a while back asking about such things, and I did not get a response. So I just figured that it was a free-for-all for anyone who wanted to post there.

Sad to say, my experience with Chris Boyd has not been positive either. Those of you who are new to the forum may not remember eGameUsed's past history with game used bats, but it bears mentioning here. A few years back, Boyd was called out for doctoring a Pujols and a Carlos Lee bat. He later confessed.

Here are the threads:

Pujols bat (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1447&highlight=stars+added)

Carlos Lee bat (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10353&highlight=stars+added)

Chris later admitted to doctoring both bats (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=115973&postcount=63), in a thread where I called into question his listing a game issued Bagwell bat on his website as game used. Boyd later sold the bat on eBay as game issued with no use whatsoever.

I know these threads are from a few years back, but I don't think that obviates the need to examine eGameUsed's history. In the context of the Team Letter, it tells a lot about the ethics of the man we are dealing with.

Here's a thread from only a year ago about a questionable Biggio jersey (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=41341&highlight=biggio) sourced to a Chris Boyd sale. As I recall, it was like pulling teeth for the guy who bought it to get his money back. Boyd eventually refunded the buyer, but it took pressure from me and other forum members for the guy to see any money.

In closing, I am very disappointed to read about this situation, but I'm glad to hear that it was made right by Mike Acosta with the Houston Astros. I've worked with Mike as well, and he is an excellent guy. He really was under no obligation to replace the jersey, but he did the right thing and made the situation better.

But where is Chris Boyd in all of this? Why the silence? If someone has a problem with an item, why not try to correct the situation? IMO, it's suspicious that he didn't immediately refund the forum member. If I were to ever have a problem with one of my transactions, I'd make it right immediately. I want my buyers to be happy and for them to be able to put their trust in me.

To me this is still an underlined concern.

FWIW I have had 1 transaction w/ Chris Boyd and it was a great one. But the above concerns me and leaves more questions than answers. My other question is, if Chris didn't produce the fake LOAs, who did?

xpress34
10-17-2012, 11:10 PM
I guess I got EXTREMELY lucky then because I actually was the one doing the selling, and in this case, had the power.

People like that that knowingly commit fraud should be placed in prison. Period.

As a former Loss Prevention Agent, I can tell you that while working for Nike, any state that they had a store in had the same law - Fraud is a Felony, regardless of the $ amount.

I don't know Mr Boyd, but when things like this come up - especially past indiscretions to which he admitted guilt - it's a hard pill to swallow that he knew nothing was wrong with these jerseys or COAs. Especially when you see how many jerseys he has dealt with from the Astros over the years.

I have purchased 309 jerseys from the Astros Authentics program since 2009

Regardless of whether you only received 4 LOAS 04 40, you have had more than enough inventory come through your hands to know what you are describing and selling.

I travel a lot for work as well, but on the rare occasion that I do go through a selling phase, I take the time to make sure that I send what was sold. Once, I could understand, but twice? And the same item basically?

I'm sorry, but I won't be doing any business with Mr Boyd anytime in the future.

Just my .02

- Smitty

bagbig
10-18-2012, 08:01 AM
At what point will people realize this guy is a fraud?!?!? It is like groundhog's day on here. Boyd had ripped off countless people. I am sure there are many poor suckers that got screwed by Boyd that are NOT even members of this forum. In every phase of collecting he is a fraud- he puts up "Paying Top Dollar" for certain items, then you email him and hear nothing back. The only time Boyd contacts you is if he is getting ready to rip you off. If he does buy an item from a fellow member, he just rubs it in their face that he got the "greatest item of all time". Lord only knows how Boyd sleeps at night. Shameful.

xpress34
10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
One other item of note - and this goes to the OPs 1st post and Mr Boyd claiming he was 'busy' and 'lost track of the communication' with the OP.

OPs last Msg to Boyd was 10.2.12 (per the supplied screenshots) and Boyd didn't respond until 10.16.12 (again per the screenshots) - the day the OP posted his concerns here on GUU.

Interesting that Mr Boyd came here, not once, not twice, but EIGHT times between Oct 4 and Oct 14 to 'UPDATE' his jersey thread in C to C, add a GU Pants thread in C to C and even reach out to another member regarding a question they asked here on the forum, but was too busy to reach back out to a buyer.

Again, just my .02

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

tella27
10-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Egameused is a joke - EVERYTIME he gets caught he has some sad story about him not knowing or have been ripped off in the past blah blah.. It's been proven that he doctors items - now is that a mistake? He's been shown to ignore people when they have issues after purchase and also that he doesn't always ship the item if you pay as a gift. These are things he's done a few times and been caught!!! How are these continued to be just passed off as mistakes like he's a child and didn't know better? He just said he's been doing this for 24 years - these were done purely to SCAM someone and make money. Where does it end - first it was making bats looked used now its faking COAs!! It's not a question if this guy did these things - the question is why is he still allowed on the forum?

slab0meat
10-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I can't say I'm that surprised he's still around. The C2C section often has items posted that are on eBay, and people make multiple posts instead of one for multiple items... just two rules that aren't followed.. and occasionally items are sold over $500. Rules day a poster is suspended immediately for breaking them, without warning.. Also says GUU doesn't moderate that forum (though to enforce those rules, don't they have to?)

ANYWAY... too much evidence against the guy.. sounds like "stay away" is the safest option.

frikativ54
10-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Egameused is a joke - EVERYTIME he gets caught he has some sad story about him not knowing or have been ripped off in the past blah blah.. It's been proven that he doctors items - now is that a mistake? He's been shown to ignore people when they have issues after purchase and also that he doesn't always ship the item if you pay as a gift. These are things he's done a few times and been caught!!! How are these continued to be just passed off as mistakes like he's a child and didn't know better? He just said he's been doing this for 24 years - these were done purely to SCAM someone and make money. Where does it end - first it was making bats looked used now its faking COAs!! It's not a question if this guy did these things - the question is why is he still allowed on the forum?

This is what I cannot figure out and what I have put in bold above: Why is Boyd still allowed to post on the forum? There have been numerous examples of items doctored and multiple instances of forged LOAs over several threads.

Also, I've never been able to forget how Boyd responded to me when I had an issue with a jersey a few years ago, and I confronted him on GUU about how his story did not make sense:

"Frik,

I don't have to disclose any and all items to you! I can lie about what I have, I can hype up my items, I can change my mind, I can choose to sell, I can choose to make as much profit as I want! You can disagree all day long and tell me I am wrong, but I can still do what I want."

-Chris Boyd (link (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=115933&postcount=31))

If, by his own words, Chris does not feel he is under any obligation to tell the truth, then how can we believe the stories he tells?

How do we know that there really was a "Patrick" that sold the jerseys with the fraudulent LOAs to him? How do we know that he's bought 300+ Astros' jerseys? How do we know that it was a mere mistake that the Oswalt shirts were described as having great use when there really was no use? Or that letters merely got switched up?

The simplest explanation is usually the best. And it's pretty clear here what that explanation is; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

bagbig
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
If anybody believes Boyd's excuses, then call me- I have some oceanfront property in Arizona.....

dplettn
10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
I have limited knowledge of Chris, but had taken at face value from his self-representation that he tries to be “good” in our hobby. The risk to anybody is that when individuals choose to blend dealing with collecting they expose themselves to varied conflicts of interests. Depending on character, some people are more susceptible to do bad things motivated by conflicted interests. Rather than enterprising, we individuals should all just help others in our hobby without financial motive!

Whether considering this situation, or any other, I believe the hobby and its community are always served when people and teams make effort to transact directly rather than foster an array of small-scale enterprisers. I have never bought, sold, or traded items with Chris. Other than direct (teams), I’ve only purchased from people who have tired of items they had originally acquired for a prurient collecting purpose, and from trusted businesses who provide a trustworthy secondary market for folks. For me, an item is less desirable if it has ever been owned by certain uniquely motivated small scale enterprisers.

It is clear here that Mike Acosta of the Astros continues to do the right things, even in this situation. Hopefully, one fact for our community to focus on is that the Astros’ in-house stewardship of the game used segment has been favorable for years. I expect Mike Acosta and the Astros Game Used segment should continue to thrive.

For those who are Astros collectors, have confidence in anything you buy direct from Mike Acosta and the Astros organization. While his time is limited, Mike can be reached at macosta@astros.com.

jppopma
10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Very sad to see this kind of stuff going on.

I thank Chris for replying on here, but sadly the reply dances around the issue. I refuse to list all of the clues since I don't wish to create better liars, but one tell tale sign is the vagueness of the post.

Leaves all of us wondering if Chris got bad coa's from the "Patrick" seller (which would be odd as the Astros may not have issued a coa on the Oswalt), or photocopied/altered the legit coa that he got with the legit Oswalt jersey and mixed it up with the Oswalt that he gave to the original poster. We may never know what happened here...

yanks12025
10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I guess we should lower the selling limit over on CC, maybe $10 tops.

mbenga28
10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
What legal actions, if any, can be taken against the seller?

Klattsy
10-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Just a quick update on my purchase. It has been received at my US shipping address. Package wasn't opened as it was forwarded straight to me. Hope i'm getting what was sold to me. I have closed the paypal case.

bagbig
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I really can't figure out two things:
1. Why would any member of this forum ever buy something Chris Boyd?
2. Why wouldn't the buyer press charges against Chris Boyd?

eGameUsed
10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
All,

I appreciate this forum and what it offers. The comments posted regarding me are deserved and expected knowing my past history. I see no sense in defending myself further. I will take the blame on this. I admitted I was naive on this transaction. Despite my knowledge in the actual equipment, I was not familiar with the LOAs. I should have caught this and asked questions sooner.

I too would not buy from me based on these postings :) . Good Luck in the hobby.

Thanks,

karamaxjoe
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
All,

I appreciate this forum and what it offers. The comments posted regarding me are deserved and expected knowing my past history. I see no sense in defending myself further. I will take the blame on this. I admitted I was naive on this transaction. Despite my knowledge in the actual equipment, I was not familiar with the LOAs. I should have caught this and asked questions sooner.

I too would not buy from me based on these postings :) . Good Luck in the hobby.

Thanks,

Bad Roy Oswalt jersey - $350.00
Copy of an LOA - Worthless
"I too would not buy from me based on these postings:) " - PRICELESS

Looks like Chris just told you all to go %@&* yourselves.......:rolleyes:

tella27
10-18-2012, 09:52 PM
He did - he has no issues with saying that he doctored items in the past but at the same time people continue to buy from the guy. Nothing short of kicking this guy off the forum will keep him from doing the same thing to someone else and them starting another egameused rip of thread...

Preston
10-18-2012, 10:52 PM
What legal actions, if any, can be taken against the seller?

Mail fraud for sure, most likely wire fraud too. He could be in some serious trouble if buyers were to really press the issue legally. no offense, I hope they do because regardless of me being (seemingly) the only one who didn't get burned by Chris, I'm ALL FOR cleaning up this hobby because that's exactly what this is - A HOBBY.

Dictionary.com defines hobby as: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Preston's hobbies include game worn memorabilia collecting and photo editing. (OK so I edited the last sentence but you get the idea :))

hfd0035
10-18-2012, 10:59 PM
I really can't figure out two things:
1. Why would any member of this forum ever buy something Chris Boyd?
2. Why wouldn't the buyer press charges against Chris Boyd?

To tell you the truth Bag, I feel pretty dumb for buying and not doing my research. First off, I figured who would really want to have a negative post on this forum against them for other members to see? Secondly, lets be honest, it was an Astros Oswalt. I love the Astros and everything but I wasnt trying to land Biggio or Bagwell. And third, alcohol..... Checking the CC and emailing while drinking all day in a bar watching football probably wasnt helpful. Live and learn I guess. Research research research

Stefano61
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
In 2010 I posted a thread to beware of Chris Boyd...he kept the bat I won and also tried to keep the money without answering my emails. Had to open an ebay dispute and, at the end, got my money back. Glad to see he has been finally exposed...

rufusandherschel
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
This is a case (seller/dealer) beyond "Buyer beware", it's a case of "Buyer be Aware" !

EurekaDave
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm not apologizing for Chris Boyd. But he has posted that he screwed up and that he would not buy from himself. That kind of mea culpa is rare these days. so--buy or not from Chris. I just think that all that needs to be said has been said. Just my thought.

Dave Silverbrand

slab0meat
10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm not apologizing for Chris Boyd. But he has posted that he screwed up and that he would not buy from himself. That kind of mea culpa is rare these days. so--buy or not from Chris. I just think that all that needs to be said has been said. Just my thought.

Dave Silverbrand

True enough. However, if a seller ever said that he wouldn't buy from himself, I wouldn't either.

xpress34
10-19-2012, 03:17 PM

Dave Silverbrand

Dave -

Not trying to start anything, but IMHO, your statement is naive.

JO sports and the the others that got indicted admitted their guilt - should that be the end of it with them as well?

What Mr Boyd did is no better than what any of those gentlemen are accused of doing.

Fraud is Fraud and if you'll do it once, you'll do it again.

Just my Humble Opinion.

- Smitty

BaseballGM
10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
My concern is the newbie, someone who has no knowledge of past behavior. Nothing else to add to this discussion.

tella27
10-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Dave -

Not trying to start anything, but IMHO, your statement is naive.

JO sports and the the others that got indicted admitted their guilt - should that be the end of it with them as well?

What Mr Boyd did is no better than what any of those gentlemen are accused of doing.

Fraud is Fraud and if you'll do it once, you'll do it again.

Just my Humble Opinion.

- Smitty

He has being doing it over and over again!! I emailed the Mods about him asking why this continues to be allowed to happen with this member but haven't heard anything back.. Boyd is going to just wait this out until all this blows over and then he'll post another thread of his "Genuine Game Used Jerseys" and rip someone else off.... Chris Boyd is nothing but a POS FRAUD...

If people are truly interested in keeping this forum honest they need to contact the Mods and demand he's kicked off.

kellsox
10-19-2012, 06:36 PM
What should not be overlooked is that the items that have been addressed in this post and others involving Boyd are only the ones in which he has been "caught". Who knows how many other pieces are unknowingly sitting in people's collections?????

As far as the mods doing something ...the forum doesn't seem to have been moderated in some time- as the site seems to just be withering way on the vine
K

tella27
10-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Don't let this thread die - its pretty much what is keeping Boyd from bumping his for sale threads. He is just waiting for this to die down some and once it does he'll be out ripping people off again.

The guy is nothing but a fraud.

MSpecht
10-20-2012, 01:50 PM
If you check under the user name on post # 37 you will see that Boyd was banned several days ago from further participation on GUU. The need to make valuable game-used memorabilia information available to newer members as well as cautionary information such as this underlines the huge value of the search function on the forum menu / toolbar.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

rufusandherschel
10-20-2012, 03:07 PM
If you check under the user name on post # 37 you will see that Boyd was banned several days ago from further participation on GUU. The need to make valuable game-used memorabilia information available to newer members as well as cautionary information such as this underlines the huge value of the search function on the forum menu / toolbar.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

Mike: How did that get "slipped-in" ?

MSpecht
10-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Actually, there was no "getting slipped in" about it. After a review of this thread, previous threads, and some 'contact the moderators' emails, the moderators, with the concurrance of Chris Cavalier, determined several days ago that a ban of this member was the appropriate action to take. When that was done, the affected member's status was automatically changed (technology) on all of his/her previous posts to reflect the current status (in this case, "Banned.")

Again, in addition, I can't stress enough the value of the GUU search function to immediately find years of information about whatever topic that may be of interest to you.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

tigerdale
10-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Mike Acosta was so disappointed that one ofhis Astros letters was falsified that he replaced the jersey and letter that I purchased from Boyd and gave me a heavilyworn 2002 Roy Oswalt jersey with a COA. How awesome is that! Acosta also kept thefraudulent Astros COA as he said he wants to turn it in to MLB for review.

Wow, what a GREAT move on the part of Mike Acosta!! What a class act!!

BamaHater
10-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Mike is a class act. Nothing but praise for what Mike has done for Astros collectors.

MSpecht
10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Roll Tide !!!!!!