PDA

View Full Version : Bob Knight Collection at Steiner

GameUsedGR61
10-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I didn't believe it at first but couple of days ago I was listening to 660 WFAN (New York Sports Radio) and they have these quick one minute segments called the CBS Sports Minute. The person doing it at the time was John Feinstein and I am not sure if its the sports author.

Whatever the case might be, his segment was about Bob Knight and how he is a legend in college basketball. He also mentioned that Bob Knight was auctioning a awards and items he has collected over the years. Feinstein was literally pleading to tell him that he should not be auctioning off all of these items. I think he is auctioning them off for his grandchildren. Feinstein specifically only mentioned his championship rings but I didnt know that Steiner was actually doing the auction and was amazed at the items that were being offered. I wish I had the money but I think some of the collectors on this board may like what is listed. The two sites have different listings

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=181175852&cgmenbr=55076099&MoreSubs=N

http://auction.steinersports.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=181175543&cgmenbr=55076099&MoreSubs=N

1970REDS
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Mr. Knight can do whatever he wants with his items , but would one not think he has made enough money already to send his grandkids to college ?

Dewey2007
10-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah sometimes it's hard to believe that these kind of items don't mean as much to the player/coach as it does to us as collectors. After awhile to them it's probably just stuff that's sitting in a box and the memories mean so much more to them then the hardware.

Preston
10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
On our local radio in Nashville the other morning, some of the guys were talking (and most of whom being shocked were callers and posters on the station's facebook page) about this like "oh my God, I can't believe they're doing this" like this hasn't been going on for years. I'm friends with a couple of the radio hosts on different shows during the day and being a collector I had an educated viewpoint but didn't want to divulge too much (due to fear of one of those "regular joes" thinking it'd be a good idea to try to squeeze milk from the same udder if you get what I'm saying...I did in not so many words indicate I have bought game worn items directly from players and received many game worn items directly from players - a lot of players don't have the sentimental attachment to them unless there's say, a record or something of significance behind it. For instance, I'm good friends w/ Titans DB Tommie Campbell and he scored a TD in the Lions game off a trick play, well they marked the ball and kept it for him and gave it to him that week after the game.

The majority of the radio people were surprised that people would sell their stuff but my buddy was all for it because if you have the memory of accomplishing what you did to receive the award, the award itself has value and you can cash out on it.

As another poster did put it, though, I think we tend to value these collectibles more than some of the athletes do.

David
10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I once had part of the collection of William Bendix, who wasn't even that big of a movie star. He got awards for most everything. He was given an award as an 'honorary pilot' when he flew on an airplane, and won acting awards from organizations no one has heard of. This explained to me why, when a player sells some plaque or some medallion, it doesn't automatically mean anything to them. They may have gotten 2,000 others in the garage.

icollectDCsports
10-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Will they be auctioning "The Chair?"

joelsabi
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
In his collection, he has a gold medal from the olympics. I didnt realize that the coach didnt receive a medal for team sports, as the listings say its a replica of what athlete's receive.

Anyone know where i can get a similar display case as this?

GameUsedGR61
10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I was able to find more information about it. Apparently he is selling most of his collection to donate to charity and to give money to his grandchildren... pretty admirable move:)

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2012/10/bob-knight-collection-of-memorabilia-to-be-auctioned-off-by-steiner-sports-in-december

David
10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Some people aren't into things like this as much as other. I'm a natural-born collector who was raised in a family of non-collectors, so I understand how sentiments about objects differ from person to person. My mom never tried to stop me, but also never understood why people would want to collect things. At best, she thought it was something kids would do and would eventually grow out of.

joelsabi
10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
up for grabs are three coach knight sideline chairs but none are the ones I would be looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvRO2GE4x4M

This thread reminded me of what a great thing that was done at my alma mater
for Coach John Wooden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhE_EW-zLj0