PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Steve Carlton jersey?

Eric
10-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Hey gang-

I saw an interesting item on ebay. If it's the real thing, it looks like a pretty rare piece. I'd love to know what people think. It's a Steve Carlton San Francisco Giants road jersey from 1986.

Carlton was signed by the Giants July 4, 1986 and released August 7, 1986. He made six starts with the team.

Here's the listing. I'd love to know what people think

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/c6/1e/47_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-STEVE-CARLTON-GAME-USED-JERSEY-GIANTS-PHILLIES-COA_W0QQitemZ270045927757QQihZ017QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eric

sportscentury
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Eric,

It's hard to tell from the scans, but so far it looks like it may be okay. Hard to see any of the details, though.

Reid

lon lewis
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
eric, i agree with reid its tough to tell from the scans but it does look ok. without seeing it in person i couldn't be 100% sure. i'm not sure if an s.f. giants carlton would be considered rare as he had at least 12 jerseys made up for him during his brief stay in s.f. they are broken down as follows: 2 home 2 road that were blanks made up locally for use until the wilson order arrived. these had only the year tag (86) below the wilson tag. the wilson order consisted of 6 home jerseys and 2 road jerseys all tagged 32 86 below the wilson tag. these jerseys were rotated so that they were worn for at least 2 games (although we didn't pay attention to which ones were used in games he pitched) 1 home jersey was sent to the hof a couple of days after strikeout # 4000 (per their request) and carlton was given 1 home and road jersey upon his release. the remaining jerseys were sent to dick dobbins. it should be noted that giants outfielder dan gladden wore #32 before and after carltons time in s.f switching to #10 while carlton was there and his jerseys were also tagged 32 86 but there should be no confusion as he wore a very tapered size 40 carlton wore a 46. i only mention this because in todays world someone could concievably switch them (hopefully without success) but you never know.lastly, the ebay ad states great game use but i don't know how thats possible given the amount of jerseys used and the limited time he was there.

sportscentury
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
The seller pulled the jersey early. I think he had second thoughts about selling it. Sounds like there were a bunch of Carlton San Fran shirts ... another reason why I prefer the 1970s/1980s knits.

Reid