PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 80s Astros jersey manufacturers & styles

TNTtoys
10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
All,

I have a fair few Astros gamers in my collection, only "rainbow styles" from the years 1983-1992. I am trying to do a little research on these, much like what I did earlier this year for the Mets jerseys... mainly to figure out exactly who was the player who wore them and/or what exact year they are from.

Does anyone know the answers to the following...

I understand that Sand Knit made the jerseys up until 1984. I have no problem with these, as they are clearly documented with the year of the jersey in the tagging. After Sand Knit came Goodman, who did not document by year -- hence I am not able to lock down my Goodman jerseys to a single year.
- Did Goodman start making the Astros jerseys in 1984 -- this would mean that for 1 year the Astros had more than 1 manufacturer? If not, then I would assume 1985.
- When did Goodman stop making the Astros jerseys? Assumption here is that Rawlings got the contract next -- I have a few Rawlings, and the earliest of these is a 1988.

Even more difficult to date are the blue batting practice jerseys, as they wore these for many years and I have never seen these to contain year tags. They also didn't have player names, so if you come across one, you can't lock down a year based on a player's tenure, since many guys might have worn that same number over the span of years.
So... Does anyone know the exact years the Astros wore this blue BP jersey? What years did each manufactutrer make the jersey? (same as the game jerseys or different?) And what year did they switch from the solid (lightweight) polyester BP to the mesh?

If anyone out there has some of these answers, please post what you know... it would be much appreciated!!!

TNTtoys
11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
[bump]

Still hoping someone out there has at least one of the answers in my posting... any help would be appreciated!!!

jerrywcole
11-06-2006, 06:17 PM
As far as I can tell, Sandknit last year was 1983. I may be wrong but Goodman started in 1984. I don't believe they over lapped. In the late 80's
several companies over lapped. I hope that helps. Take care.

Jerry

MikeSharon
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Well lets see where to start. The Astros have always been one of the cheapest organizations in baseball when it came to jerseys they took them from anybody that sent them. In 1984 the astros did wear both Goodmans and Sandnits at least in the White jerseys with Rainbow sleeves. Goodman started manufacturing Astros jerseys in 1984, and the Astros kept ordering Goodman jerseys at least until 1992 there are several 1990 Astros Goodman jerseys on EBAY right now. in 1987-88? the Astros did recive several shippments of Rawlings jerseys which they wore in addition to the Goodmans. I have Caminiti's from this period that cleary show wear one is a goodman with no year tags and 2 a rawlings .
hope this helps
Mike Sharon