PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Pence hits a ball 3 times in 1 swing!

kylehess10
10-23-2012, 01:11 AM
For those who didn't already see this tonight, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. 1 swing, 3 hits. Hopefully someone here will end up with this bat!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/182zxhnvxmiw1gif/original.gif

xpress34
10-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Kyle -

Awesome video!

Did they call him out? The ruling is that if contact the ball with the bat more than once in the swing, it is an automatic out.

Actually 'double' contact happens more than people think, but due to bat speeds of MLB players know, it's almost invisible to the naked eye.

I can't say I've ever seen evidence of a 'three hit swing' before though!

Thanks for sharing!

- Smitty

coxfan
10-23-2012, 06:31 AM
I thought it was the rule that a batter was out if the bat hit the ball a second time, but the commentators indicated that was not the case for a broken bat. What does the rulebook actually say? (I'm rushing to help babysit our three little grandsons, and don't have time to look it up.)

The replay technology was awesome: I've never seen replays show the ball-bat collision so closely. Physicist baseball fans could have a rich source of data from that! If such double-collisions (or other occurences) do happen a lot faster than a human eye can perceive, they may have to re-write some rules in the future.

marino13
10-23-2012, 08:22 AM
For those who didn't already see this tonight, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. 1 swing, 3 hits. Hopefully someone here will end up with this bat!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/182zxhnvxmiw1gif/original.gif

Dont you mean "pieces and pieces of this bat"?

:D

It is an awesome bat anyway. But most likely, MLB will try to hawk it as ONE OF A KIND bat - "3 hits with one bat".

Birdbats
10-23-2012, 08:26 AM
In real time, there was no way to tell that it happened... though you knew something was fishy when the shortstop broke toward third to field the ball and it ended up passing him on his glove side. The ball had some funky english on it.

otismalibu
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I've done that on more than one occasion...

from the sand trap.

slam126
10-23-2012, 11:21 PM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants/2012/10/23/world-series-notes-meet-fryer-the-most-famous-broken-bat-in-america/

As if the Game 7 triple-double wasn’t strange enough, Hunter Pence revealed Tuesday that the magical bat had a name.

“Fryer,” Pence said. “I name all my bats. Whatever word comes to mind, I write it on them.”

Fryer?

“F-R-Y-E-R,” Pence said.

So now we know, Fryer was the hero that died for a great cause Monday night. Fryer was also the bat that hit a baseball deep into the St. Louis night in Game 4. Pence said he has no idea what happened to Fryer, but Andrew Baggarly did some digging and found that a season-ticket holder bought it at the team store and later called the Giants and said Pence should have it back.

This story may have a happy ending after all for Pence, who thought the bat was long gone.

“He will always be Fryer to me,” Pence said.

Fryer might be coming home, and with the way Pence breaks bats, surely will soon be joined by another named bat. What are the other names?

“Man,” Pence said, smiling. “You all are getting personal.”

allstarsplus
10-24-2012, 01:16 AM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Giants-accidentally-sell-Pences-historic?blockID=792665&feedID=2539

They can't find the ball that ended the game now that Scutaro caught.

Amazing how fast the Giants take items from game time to their store for sale.

marino13
10-24-2012, 08:03 AM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Giants-accidentally-sell-Pences-historic?blockID=792665&feedID=2539

They can't find the ball that ended the game now that Scutaro caught.

Amazing how fast the Giants take items from game time to their store for sale.

I wish the Yankees would do such a thing - especially with "detail oriented message" on their game used equipment. They are as generic as it comes! :mad:

yanks12025
10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't understand why the bat is such a big deal and would be considered Giant lore. It's not like the bat won the game, even without Pence's hit the Giants still would have won and if the short stop fielded his position the right way it would have been a double play and only scored 1 run that at-bat.

coxfan
10-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I' still trying to figure out how the barrel caught up with the moving ball. It looks like so much energy was sent up the bat in shattering that it slowed the bat the instant of impact and also caused the batter's grip to loosen, so the ball got only the momentum a bunt would've given it. But the follow-through continued to accelerate the bat and the handle straightened out, allowing it to catch up to the ball and hit it at a different angle, and thus confusing the fielder's reaction.

If my memory's correct, I think physicists say the ball-bat collision takes .001 seconds. I think commentators said the replay had 3000 frames/second, allowing it to see the collision. A human eye can't see it except for Ted Williams, who reportedly proved he could perceive the collision.

football7
10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
was watching the game with my two sons 8 & 6. they both were amazed as was I. They for some reason also thought it was one of the funniest things they had every seen

PwKw13
10-24-2012, 11:42 AM
This has nothing to do with multiple contact, but more to do with what can be seen in super-slow motion. The small splinter of bat seems to be hitting his shirt with more impact than I would expect. It makes you realize how dangerous the larger shards are that fly through the infield sometimes.

Bondsgloves
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
FYI- the exact bat was sold at the game in the Giants memorabila shop for $400.

EurekaDave
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the info on that Pence bat, you guys. Naturally, I would love to have been at the game--or any play-off game. But TV technology (super slo-mo) has turned these series into something surreal -- the bat splintering, the rain falling--all that stuff makes being at home watching a real joy.

And on top of all that -- Joe Buck and Tim McCarver (the Fox guys) have redeemed themselves this year. Sounds like they're having a blast in the city-by-the-bay.

Dave Silverbrand

tknorm
10-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Here is an update. the bat was sold accidentally that same night for $400! Evidently the guy plans to get it back to hunter Pence, who said that he wants it. Crazy how fast that happened!

joelsabi
10-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Here is an update. the bat was sold accidentally that same night for $400! Evidently the guy plans to get it back to hunter Pence, who said that he wants it. Crazy how fast that happened!

at least the Giant store knows how to strike while its hot. The store got the best the deal.

frikativ54
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
at least the Giant store knows how to strike while its hot. The store got the best the deal.

The buyer doesn't get his money back??? :confused:

allstarsplus
10-24-2012, 07:04 PM
The bat is back!

http://www.csnbayarea.com/baseball-san-francisco-giants/giants-talk/Giants-fan-feels-whole-by-returning-Penc?blockID=793005&feedID=2539

allstarsplus
10-24-2012, 07:10 PM

The story how the 10 potential buyers all put their name in a hat and 15 did the same for the ball and the same guy got picked for both is very cool.

yanks12025
10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
I still don't get the big deal about the bat? Yes it hit the ball three times but if we went through more at-bats throughout the season I bet we could find it happen again.

allstarsplus
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
I still don't get the big deal about the bat? Yes it hit the ball three times but if we went through more at-bats throughout the season I bet we could find it happen again.

It wouldn't have been a big deal until they made it the "magic bat" showing the replay dozens of times. It reminds me of the cracked Piazza bat where Clemens threw the barrel and that became an infamous bat.

joelsabi
10-25-2012, 02:03 AM
The story how the 10 potential buyers all put their name in a hat and 15 did the same for the ball and the same guy got picked for both is very cool.

didnt read that part of the story until now. $150 for the baseball as well.

that is amazing that there was such a demand for the bat and baseball after the game. the store must really have their act together and 15-24 fans anticipating its sale shows how good a program they have at their stadium.

still dont understand its significance but understand the coolness factor of both items.

frikativ54
10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
still don't understand its significance but understand the coolness factor of both items.

+1

genius
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I've only seen the replay on this thread so maybe I'm not seeing the best video. But I don't see indisputable evidence that the bat hit the ball a third time.

kylehess10
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I've only seen the replay on this thread so maybe I'm not seeing the best video. But I don't see indisputable evidence that the bat hit the ball a third time.

To me it looks like 3 hits because after the second hit, if you pay attention to the seams of the baseball, it looks like they start spinning faster once the end of the barrel follows through