PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Bills Thurman Thomas GU Jersey -- Any Advice?

commando
10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Hello Everyone,

I picked up a 1992 Thurman Thomas game used Buffalo Bills jersey. The problem is that the shirt was stored improperly for many years in the Florida heat, which caused the screened numbers to shrivel a bit. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of situation. I'm guessing that it would be best to leave the jersey as-is, but this isn't my area of expertise and would be curious to know.

Otherwise, this is a great shirt -- correct tagging, correct size, Thurman's elastic sleeves, and even a vintage signature (which has mostly faded thanks again to improper storage). 1992 was another Super Bowl year for Buffalo and Thurman's best year personally, as well as the fourth year in a row that he led the NFL in Total Yards from Scrimmage. The only other '92 Thomas jersey I have ever seen was auctioned by Grey Flannel (http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=28185&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=50&category=38&seo=1992-Thurman-Thomas-Buffalo-Bills-Game-Used-%26-Autographed-Road-Jersey-%28JSA%29). It was similar in every way except theirs did not have the elastic sleeves.

Anyhow, many thanks for your words of advice!

Mattapan03
10-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Thats an incredible piece. But the improper storage is a killer. I wouldnt mess with it. I dont think there is anything you could do.

sox83cubs84
10-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Anthony:

Even as is, I like that jersey.

Dave Miedema

commando
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks to the both of you for the kind words. I figured there was probably no way to "re-hydrate" the screened graphics, but it was worth a shot to ask.

Let this be a storage lesson to everyone! :cool:

finfanrb23
10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Gotta agree with Matt and Dave.... It's still an awesome piece.

Living in Florida I've gotta ask, what would cause that? Leaving a jersey in an attic for years on end?

commando
10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Gotta agree with Matt and Dave.... It's still an awesome piece.

Living in Florida I've gotta ask, what would cause that? Leaving a jersey in an attic for years on end?

Yes, or a storage unit.... Your stuff will literally cook in a place like that, especially in the older metal ones that are nothing more than an oven! :eek:

Mattapan03
10-29-2012, 04:50 PM
If youre going to place anything in a storage unit......always make sure its climate controlled. :rolleyes: