PDA

View Full Version : First pitched ball taken out of play

vonbrandingo
10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
In tonight's WS G3, the first pitched ball was taken out of play and the announcers said it. Was the ball pulled to be sold by the Tigers "From The Clubhouse" SF style, for charity, for the owners, or for what? What's the use in taking the first pitch (a strike) of the 3rd game of the 2012 WS out of play?

coxfan
10-28-2012, 06:47 AM
It can be anything, depending on what the Tigers or MLB want to do with it. There are plenty of cases of balls or other items from historic games being authenticated by MLB, but never showing up on the public market. A lot are given to players or others associated with the club.

The last ball of the Rangers' first-ever postseason home win in 2010 was given to Nolan Ryan by the Ranger who caught it, according to the MLB authentication entry. I suspect it will stay with him, or go to their museum. I was in line for a ball from the cycle game by Texas this August, but MLB arbitrarily impounded the balls after the game because of the milestone. The Rangers' store manager said he thought they might show up later at a higher price, but he didn't know, and I haven't seen any for sale. Their store has told me they've received almost nothing in the way of balls from their World Series games for sale to the public.

legaleagle92481
10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
The Tigers are selling World Series balls from their home games for prices that start at a grand and go up from there.

marino13
10-28-2012, 12:11 PM
The Tigers are selling World Series balls from their home games for prices that start at a grand and go up from there.

And when the Tigers get swept, Marc will give a 99% discount and I will buy some at $100 each. :D

chakes89
10-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Maybe they are going to package them with "game used" sharpies and "game worn" swim goggles. Haha!

sox83cubs84
10-28-2012, 04:12 PM
It can be anything, depending on what the Tigers or MLB want to do with it. There are plenty of cases of balls or other items from historic games being authenticated by MLB, but never showing up on the public market. A lot are given to players or others associated with the club.

The last ball of the Rangers' first-ever postseason home win in 2010 was given to Nolan Ryan by the Ranger who caught it, according to the MLB authentication entry. I suspect it will stay with him, or go to their museum. I was in line for a ball from the cycle game by Texas this August, but MLB arbitrarily impounded the balls after the game because of the milestone. The Rangers' store manager said he thought they might show up later at a higher price, but he didn't know, and I haven't seen any for sale. Their store has told me they've received almost nothing in the way of balls from their World Series games for sale to the public.

The same thing happened with the ball from the final out of the 2005 World Series, where the White Sox swept the Astros. Paul Konerko kept the baseball until the team's championship parade and rally downtown, and gave it to owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

frikativ54
10-28-2012, 05:55 PM
And when the Tigers get swept, Marc will give a 99% discount and I will buy some at $100 each. :D

MLB is setting the prices, not Marc.

coxfan
10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Giant fans should be part of the market for any Detroit WS balls, so maybe prices won't fall right away.

emann
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
MLB is setting the prices, not Marc.

Frik-

I'm under the impression that teams are individually able to dictate the prices on GU items. This comes from a number of people speaking with reps like Marc or directly speaking with them myself.

Or are you referring to just the WS game items?

legaleagle92481
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Mlb owns the world series items, they set the prices. This was quoted to me by Marc of the Tigers. If its true or not is another story.

frikativ54
10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Mlb owns the world series items, they set the prices. This was quoted to me by Marc of the Tigers. If its true or not is another story.

+1. This was the case with WS balls; I don't know about anything else.

rdeversole
10-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I believe MLB also owns the bases.

jppopma
11-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Glad I'm not the only skeptical one. Sad to see the series jerseys were each one game "lifeless" wonders.