PDA

View Full Version : New logo for postseason balls?

coxfan
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I noticed that balls from this year's playoffs have a "2012 postseason" logo, instead of being regular official MLB balls that have identical logos with the regular season. An exception is one advertised from the Rangers, which pictures a regular MLB ball ( no postseason logo) from the wild card play-in game, (though pictured items with ads aren't always the actual item).

I have authenticated balls from both the 2010 and 2011 ALDS ( both Rangers-Rays), and the 2010 ALCS ( Rangers-Yankees) and 2011 ALCS ( Rangers-Tigers). Those balls, which I bought from the Rangers, are regular official MLB official balls without the postseason logo. So I assume there was a change this year. Does anyone have more info?

dplettn
11-03-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm not aware what was used for the wild card game this year. Your observation is accurate with regard to Division Series and League Series games... Last year (2011) it was the standard logo. This year (2012), there was a commemorative postseason logo. I find this year's Postseason ball very attractive.

allstarsplus
11-04-2012, 06:36 AM

Yep, 1st time they have ever stamped "POST SEASON" on playoff balls which make these baseballs even more collectible.

As a Washington Nationals collector, this was an opportunity to get "grail items" for the Nationals 1st ever playoffs in their history.

With the help of Jeff Scott "BirdBats" who lives near St. Louis, he got me so many wishlist balls from Game 1.

The ball above was fouled on to the corner of homeplate and gashed by Bryce Harper. On the video you see the ump running his finger over the ball. Can't say I have ever seen that before.

This ball was a HR saving catch by Jayson Werth:

frikativ54
11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Awesome Harper ball. :D

allstarsplus
11-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Awesome Harper ball. :D

Have you ever seen a baseball like that? I thought it was gouged like that hitting off of a sign behind home plate or a sharp edge. As I watched the game film it was hit straight down and made contact with the front edge of the homeplate. That is amazing force.

Someone in DC on a blog did average ball speed on Nats HRs and not surprisingly Bryce's HR ball speed off of his bat averaged 105.8 MPH to lead the team.

tigerdale
11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
What a great baseball Andrew....I have seem some w/ slight gouges before..say off the catchers mask....but nothing that compares to the one you have...that one is great!!!

frikativ54
11-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Have you ever seen a baseball like that? I thought it was gouged like that hitting off of a sign behind home plate or a sharp edge. As I watched the game film it was hit straight down and made contact with the front edge of the homeplate. That is amazing force.

Someone in DC on a blog did average ball speed on Nats HRs and not surprisingly Bryce's HR ball speed off of his bat averaged 105.8 MPH to lead the team.

That's pretty incredible. How close was the distribution of HR ball speeds to Harper's? If you ever find another that is not an arm and a leg LMK.

sox83cubs84
11-04-2012, 04:52 PM
From 1996 (I think) through 1999, the final years of the NL and AL baseballs, special logo baseballs were made up for the LDS and LCS in both leagues.

Dave Miedema

allstarsplus
11-04-2012, 04:52 PM
That's pretty incredible. How close was the distribution of HR ball speeds to Harper's? If you ever find another that is not an arm and a leg LMK.

Harper was 105.8 and Ryan Zimmerman was 105.5 then the drop off was to 105 and Adam LaRoche who led the team in HRs was at 103.

Again, those were average ball speeds off the bat. I believe Giancarlo Stanton was tops in the Majors on ball speed on HRs.

coxfan
11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Texasrangers.com is now advertising a ball from the 2012 wild card game, and the pictured ball has the postseason logo.