PDA

View Full Version : Why is the forum always down?

chakes89
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
What is the deal with the site being down all the time?

rdeversole
11-06-2012, 02:32 PM

+1

I don't understand this either. It seems like it happens to go down on Sunday's a lot.

Shipp_96
11-06-2012, 02:48 PM
+1, I was thinking the very same thing also.

trsent
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM

It gives me more free time to do other work

xpress34
11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Hmmm...

Let's see...

Owner Absentee most of the Past Year
Most of the Mods 'stepped down'
Boards are moderated infrequently
The Banner still has the ad from the 8D Holliday 2011 Auction

Are you really surprised it's down so much?

I see people on other boards bitching about GUU because they have been trying to join, but the current system requires that they be 'vetted' by a live person and they never hear back from anyone.

At this rate, GUU won't last through 2013 IMHO.

- Smitty

kylehess10
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Hmmm...

Let's see...

Owner Absentee most of the Past Year
Most of the Mods 'stepped down'
Boards are moderated infrequently
The Banner still has the ad from the 8D Holliday 2011 Auction

Are you really surprised it's down so much?

I see people on other boards bitching about GUU because they have been trying to join, but the current system requires that they be 'vetted' by a live person and they never hear back from anyone.

At this rate, GUU won't last through 2013 IMHO.

- Smitty

As sad as it sounds, I have to agree with this. The hobby is going downhill, and fast.

Also I've gotten e-mails from people saying they're trying to sign up but never hear from anyone. So there's actually a lot of people who want to be members but can't sign up. I don't understand why that is but I hope it gets fixed.

WadeInBmore
11-06-2012, 10:47 PM
As sad as it sounds, I have to agree with this. The hobby is going downhill, and fast.

Also I've gotten e-mails from people saying they're trying to sign up but never hear from anyone. So there's actually a lot of people who want to be members but can't sign up. I don't understand why that is but I hope it gets fixed.

In the past when the site drops, Chris typically would post an apology and a reason for the down time. While I often thought that was incredibly over and above what he needed to do, I've been waiting to her something from the powers that be and am shocked that there hasn't been any explanation.

I almost half expect one day for it not to come back. Hope I'm wrong with that though.

The flip side to all this, I hope all is well up top...ya know?!?

Wade

chakes89
11-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I still spend most of my GU related time here, mainly because I don't really know of anything else out there like it. Any suggestions?

yanks12025
11-07-2012, 06:55 AM
GUU used to be the best site. Where do you guys now frequent the most instead?

Net54 baseball, mainly a card forum but they do have a memorabilia/ game used section.

camarokids
11-07-2012, 08:43 AM

At least something is going down!! :eek::D

3arod13
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
I don’t think the focus, interest, and dedication to this site is the same today, as it was when I joined a few years ago. Sad actually, because when I first joined, any negativity (if you want to call it that) was more about challenging game used stuff (not attacking people) and sharing of knowledge. The people in this forum when I joined, were the best-of-the-best back then. Some of that still occurs today, but not like it did when I joined. I actually miss those days! I had my butt handed back to be on a few occassions, when being challenged, and they were tuff. But they were knowledgeable, cared about cleaning up the hobby, and taught me a lot.

ousooner_85
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
In my opionion it always starts from the top. If their interest, time, whatever has waivered away, the end product will reflect it. Hope it gets better because I have enjoyed my time here!

metsbats
11-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Moderators have no control over the site availibility and we can only report the outage to site owner who can resolve the issue.

Thanks
David

emann
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I think I mentioned this in another thread. I don't think the hobby is going away, but the forum is certainly in a bad way...

Trying to host the GUU auctions was probably the start where the site seemed to not be the main focus anymore, then the large amounts of bans happened. Not thinking the mods were wrong in most cases, but those members just happened to be some of the most frequent posters to the board. It would probably have been the better route to ignore their troll posts in exchange for dozens of legit ones from some of them...

You'd think another entity might have interest in this forum if the ownership wanted to sell. It had a pretty large member base at one point. Better to sell while some are still active than wait for all of them to drift away, no?

ChrisCavalier
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Hello Everyone,

The site outages have been due to some issues with the server. When there are problems we work as quickly as possible to get the site up for everyone's benefit. We are also looking at trying to do a migration that might help but it requires quite a bit of preparation to make sure the site maintains its integrity.

I apologize when the site does go down and we will continue to do everything we can to provide this free service to collectors.

Sincerely,
Chris

3arod13
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Hello Everyone,

The site outages have been due to some issues with the server. When there are problems we work as quickly as possible to get the site up for everyone's benefit. We are also looking at trying to do a migration that might help but it requires quite a bit of preparation to make sure the site maintains its integrity.

I apologize when the site does go down and we will continue to do everything we can to provide this free service to collectors.

Sincerely,
Chris

"I apologize when the site does go down and we will continue to do everything we can to provide this FREE SERVICE to collectors."

Not sure if it was the intent to make a point and throw a jab back at those who commented, but if so, not nice! It's how I read it.

You could have easily just said "I apologize when the site goes down and we will continue to do everything we can to keep it up."

EurekaDave
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I'm with Chris Cavalier on this one.. He does what he can and the ervice is free. I have learned much from forum members.

But people are forgetting some things:
1: This forum is not an entitlement. If it's down, it's down. Go out and watch a sunset or something...
2: It seems more acceptable now more than ever to be rude. I've written many posts and get "ripped a new one" because of it.

I love this forum -- and check it about every hour. I love learning stuff and hearing from knowledgable people. I don't like reading things from people who have a p___ poor attitude about life in general.

My recommendation -- thank Chris Cavalier for all his hard work and for God's sake chillax.

Dave Silverbrand

ChrisCavalier
11-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Thank you Dave for your comments.

Tony, please note that was not intended as a "jab" at anyone. It's just that the migration process right now would be a bit time consuming for some technical reasons and require some resources to make it happen. We are sincerely trying to do everything we can to keep the site available to everyone so it can benefit those who use it. Although I wanted to provide some additional perspective on what is happening on the back end, I apologize if it came across in any other way. In the end, you are correct, we will continue to do everything we can to keep the site up for collectors.

Sincerely,
Chris

3arod13
11-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Tony, please note that was not intended as a "jab" at anyone. It's just that the migration process right now would be a bit time consuming for some technical reasons and require some resources to make it happen. We are sincerely trying to do everything we can to keep the site available to everyone so it can benefit those who use it. Although I wanted to provide some additional perspective on what is happening on the back end, I apologize if it came across in any other way. In the end, you are correct, we will continue to do everything we can to keep the site up for collectors.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris, understand. I think there's just a lot of frustration for many. Thanks!

tom1315
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Chris, I truly appreciate what you do and how hard you work to keep the site operational. I have made friends and learned so much on here so please accept a "THANK YOU" for what you have built and keep it going!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

Dach0sen0ne
11-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris,

I'd be willing to help out getting new members screened/activated for the forum. I've been contacted by a number of people regarding membership just because I have my email address available in my signature and I bet I'm not the only one. Just throwing it out there.

HawaiiSportsNut
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Chris

First of all I would like to thank you for providing this site for all of us to enjoy.

If you need another moderator, I would be more than willing to help. Being that I live in Hawaii, there is a 3-6 hour difference from the west coast to the east coast. The advantage is that I can watch out for any unwarranted posting untill a later hour from a mainland moderator.
Please feel free to email me if you would like me to help you in anyway with the GUU site. My email is as follows, guppies@guppies4me.com (guppies@guppies4me.com)

Thanks,
Rick

Shipp_96
11-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Déjà vu ?

jake33
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Here we go again, .... again.

xpress34
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
It seems to be a Sunday-Monday and into Tuesday thing as of late...

yanks12025
11-13-2012, 03:10 PM
It seems to be a Sunday-Monday and into Tuesday thing as of late...

Next week add Wednesday to the list and then week after will be till Thursday.

cliffjmp33
11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Just a thought, but would it be worth it for a Moderator to create a social media account (Twitter/Facebook/Etc.) to let folks know there are technical issues? I know not everyone uses them, but just an idea to use a free resource.

UTeric3232
11-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Just start charging $5 per member per month to use the site and hire someone to maintenance the site.

Then the site is good, and it weeds out all the people who dont really want to be here, and the ones who like to complain.

kellsox
11-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Charge 5 and this place will be a ghost town. Be thankful that this forum is a " free" service. :rolleyes:

UTeric3232
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Be thankful that this forum is a " free" service.

My point exactly...

Preston
11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
IMO GUU having a Facebook page as well wouldn't be all that bad of an idea...

AWA85
11-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Sunday must be a day of rest for the site.....

frikativ54
11-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Sunday must be a day of rest for the site.....

+1. :D

MarkakisMania
11-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I am sure Mr. Chris is doing the very best that he can. I don't propose to have any understanding of how exactly he is making money on this forum in fact it would appear that it is a money sucking machine. There is no membership fee, there are no advertisers, there is no for profit sales or auctions formats that benefit the forum other than the 8D auction from last holiday season and didn't those funds go to charity?

With the money that Mr. Chris had to spend several years ago to setup the new member approval process to lock out the former members that kept coming on here under assumed aliases I am sure that coupled with the need to upgrade software and hardware can be very draining.

I would think it would be in the very best interest of the forum to add a few more moderators to assist with running things.

I would recommend Dave Miedemma, Frik and Gingi since those 3 add the most useful information on a daily basis no doubt they could help keep the forum on track daily.

Jeb

sox83cubs84
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
[quote=MarkakisMania;307991.

I would think it would be in the very best interest of the forum to add a few more moderators to assist with running things.

I would recommend Dave Miedemma, Frik and Gingi since those 3 add the most useful information on a daily basis no doubt they could help keep the forum on track daily.

Jeb[/quote]

I would have to pass on a mod position. My computer skills are not sufficiently up to the task.:(

Dave Miedema