Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vikingshelmetguy
    • Mar 2009

Ever regret passing on an item?

In the past, and very recently, I hesitated and/or passed up the chance to acquire a game worn item, and it ended going to another buyer. Afterwards I have had deep and lingering regret that I didn't buy the item when I had the chance. I am wondering how other collectors deal with the regret of a lost chance/opportunity??
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Ever regret passing on an item?

Originally posted by Vikingshelmetguy
    In the past, and very recently, I hesitated and/or passed up the chance to acquire a game worn item, and it ended going to another buyer. Afterwards I have had deep and lingering regret that I didn't buy the item when I had the chance. I am wondering how other collectors deal with the regret of a lost chance/opportunity??
    it has happen to me but i usually don't linger on it too much. what bothers me more is when i lose track of who is the new owner. the new system on ebay makes it more difficult to know who is the new owner since the username is scrambled and auction house will not disclose the name of the new owner because of privacy issues.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• Dewey2007
      • Dec 2007

On eBay, go to the sellers feedback. If the buyer leaves feedback, that's how I always find out who the winner of an item was.

Originally posted by joelsabi
      it has happen to me but i usually don't linger on it too much. what bothers me more is when i lose track of who is the new owner. the new system on ebay makes it more difficult to know who is the new owner since the username is scrambled and auction house will not disclose the name of the new owner because of privacy issues.
      sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dewey2007
        On eBay, go to the sellers feedback. If the buyer leaves feedback, that's how I always find out who the winner of an item was.
        True. But nowadays many sellers wait for the buyer to leave feedback which doesnt always happen. I try to email the seller if no ebay is left. Sometimes you get lucky and the seller discloses the new owner. I have asked several auction houses and they are willing to forward information to the new owner but the new owner, rightly so, are not obligated to disclose who they are.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by joelsabi
          What I do is save the auction in my watch list. When the auction is over, I wait for the seller and buyer to leave each other feedback. Once they do, you can see their ebay ID and now you know.
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
            What I do is save the auction in my watch list. When the auction is over, I wait for the seller and buyer to leave each other feedback. Once they do, you can see their ebay ID and now you know.
            Wow! Guess I should have read the entire thread, before posting (lol)
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Many times! I have sold pieces in my personal collection that I never thought I would, just to get the money to pay for that high dollar piece I wanted, and couldn't afford at the time. Those are the times I regret doing it. But when I look at the new piece I got, I then get over it
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• helmets
                • Mar 2008

Let me guess.. A Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.

I have never laid awake in bed at night pissed that I paid too much for an item, however I have done so over not buying an item that I really wanted and someone else did so. Then there is the constant thoughts in your head of the lost item and the wasted energy of trying to track it down, and then in the rare event that you find it, then often times having to pay an over inflated price to obtain it. Better just to take a deep breath, bend over, pull the trigger, buy it, and live happily ever after.
                Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• woody1351
                  • Dec 2008

ya and I dont know who has it. that is the worst part, if i knew i would send them an email to let me know when they want to sell it.

Comment

• AWA85
                    • Jan 2008

The only thing that still lingers in my head, is the Barry Larkin University of Michigan game used jersey...... Went back and forth and didn't pull the trigger after a few other big purchases around the same time period.
                    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• Shipp_96
                      • Feb 2011

An ARMY football camo helmet. I missed the first batch that were auctioned off by the Academy and they had one left to sell. They even advertised it as such and I put in a decent bid but made no effort to win it at the end and only lost by $50. I have paid way more for helmets I did not like as much since then and that one still lingers.

Comment

• CampWest
                        • May 2008

A few months back I had been following an item on eBay that I really really wanted - and the only one of that player that I've seen in several years. Unfortunately, I was convinced the opening bid was too high at $220 shipped. I thought for sure it's value was in the $75-150 range. I know I have to be one of just a handful of people interested in that particular jersey. I let the auction run down and go without a bid. I waited a week for the seller to relist at a lower opening. It never came. So I emailed the seller asking if it would be relisted and offering to buy it for $150. No response. I have followed up with about 4 more emails to the seller in the last 9 months asking if its available and what they want for it and have gotten absolutely no response. So now I regret not just paying the extra $50.

Oh well. Snooze ya lose.
                        sigpic
                        Wes Campbell

Comment

• mad87man
                          • Feb 2011

yes i also regret buying something and not having money for other stuff

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by helmets
                            Let me guess.. A Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.
                            Actually, Helmets, it was not a Vikings suspension helmet offered through a semi-popular auction house.... It was a modern era Vikings helmet offered for sale on JO Sports that had been for sale for months at a very high price. Then JO Sports suddenly dramatically lowered the price on a "Deal of the Day" discount... I hesitated and I let a couple days pass before I decided to go and buy it, and it ended being sold to another buyer. I'm regretting that I cheaped out and hesitated... Still frustrated with myself for not purchasing that helmet when I had the chance....

Comment

• Falcon
                              • Jan 2008

For me, it's passing on a black alternate Falcons Matt Ryan jersey JO had. Always wondered who bought it...

Comment

Working...