PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr. bat on eBay

chakes89
11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Anyone else find it a little odd that the only damage on this bat is around the "125" on the logo stamping? It looks like someone deliberately shaved down the area around it and below it. This bat also doesn't look to be double dipped like most Griffey bats, this is evident from the visible grain patterns. The tape job is also loose and sloppily done. I also have some issues with the circular groove in the cupping of the bat. Is this common practice with pro bats? I ask because I have seen this a lot with retail bats.

Anyone else feel that this bat is not what it appears to be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-Jr-BATTING-PRACTICE-USED-BAT-SEATTLE-MARINERS-C271-LOUISVILLE-SLUG-/200844683100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec346a75c

GoTigers
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I saw that bat too.. What a terrible fake.

3arod13
11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone else find it a little odd that the only damage on this bat is around the "125" on the logo stamping? It looks like someone deliberately shaved down the area around it and below it. This bat also doesn't look to be double dipped like most Griffey bats, this is evident from the visible grain patterns. The tape job is also loose and sloppily done. I also have some issues with the circular groove in the cupping of the bat. Is this common practice with pro bats? I ask because I have seen this a lot with retail bats.

Anyone else feel that this bat is not what it appears to be?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-Jr-BATTING-PRACTICE-USED-BAT-SEATTLE-MARINERS-C271-LOUISVILLE-SLUG-/200844683100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec346a75c

Agree. The scratched out 125 is just too funny. What could cause that to happen. Underlined 125?

1929tudor
11-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Possibly a weighted ring or whatever they use now to swing a bat in the on deck circle was used and only went as far as the label. Maybe?

matt
11-07-2012, 06:22 PM
If there were any doubt, the tape job is a poor imitation of a Griffey.

Matt

CampWest
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Lets see...
1. Bad tape job.
2. Line under 125 scratched out.
3. Not pro quality wood grain.
4. Not a double dipped black finish.
5. Provenance story that makes no sense.
6. They admit the tape job is wrong.
7. They use their feedback as proof of authenticity.

I think it is clearly its a retail bat that has been intentionally altered.

And does anybody believe it really came from an actual "Reds Insider"? If it did, that Reds insider may not be very reliable.

earlywynnfan
11-07-2012, 09:18 PM
To the guy's credit, he did respond to me (and he said one other person emailed him.) I see he's already changed the description.

Ken

3arod13
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
To the guy's credit, he did respond to me (and he said one other person emailed him.) I see he's already changed the description.

Ken

Hi Ken. I was the other person. Here was his response: HELLO and thanks for taking the time to enlighten me.. i bought it from a very reputable dealer in the cincinnati market... and thats what i was told.. but after the other person that told me about it ... explained to me about the underline i changed the listing.. yeah just to concidental for it to be in that spot.. so i changed it .. as you can see i have 12,000+ positive feedbacks.. no negatives and i want to keep it that way so im so thankful that you and the other person enlightened me... there is soooooooooo much ot know about bats that i dont know.. well i appreciate the time you took... we promote the largest show in ohio and have for 20+ years so our reputation is very important.. appreciate your imforming me.. thanks steve

I emailed him back and told him I commended him on how he handle it!