PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Elite Scott Kazmir Glove?

spartakid
11-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Any thoughts on this glove? I know Elite has a bad rep, so I wanted to be cautious.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Kazmir-Game-Used-Fielding-Glove-ESM-COA-/390497049051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aeb7019db

suave1477
11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Well I would defintiely do homework on it especially a fielding glove should be almost somewhat easy to photo match since players usually stick to one glove during the season sometimes longer so this may even pre date the year it specifies being used and could potentially been also used from a year or so before. If you haven't already I would definitely check all the photo sites.

I once had a pitchers fielding glove dated to a specific year and was able to photo match the exact same glove to the player using it in the World Baseball Classic the year before.

spartakid
11-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I checked Getty, and I definitely style matched. The only fear I have is that it is just issued and then could've been passed off as being used. Unfortunately with gloves, you have to rely a lot on the seller or dealer's reputation because it's hard to distinguish use characteristics as compared to say a bat.

suave1477
11-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Check other photo sites. Well in most cases you do have to reply on the reputaion of the seller, but also Kazmir himself has wrote that it is game used. So I am not saying his word is law but it can let you feel a bit more comfortable. Maybe at the very least it was a back up glove used???

spartakid
11-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, my only fear is that he just signed the glove and then someone added that below after the fact. I know it's a bit paranoid, but I know many people who have been burned on gloves and I didn't want to experience it myself.

camarokids
11-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I have one of the exact same gloves signed the same way.

I posted a pic on this site that I took of Kazmir's locker. I got to tour the locker room as a season ticket holder in 2007. Kazmir had six of these gloves in his locker on the top shelf.

At one time these sold for $1500.00 each. I paid a fraction of that for mine due to the fact his career has gone down the toilet at the time.

Has Kaz been picked up by a team?

gnishiyama
11-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Based on reputation alone, I would never feel comfortable adding
any game used items that originated from Elite into my collection
unless its definitively photo-matched. Those Elite player LOAs don't mean
anything because the players signed and inscribed whatever was placed in
front of them.

spartakid
11-16-2012, 01:30 PM
David: Thanks for the info, that actually reinforces the idea that it very well could be issued, especially if he had six of them!

Goh: My thoughts exactly, that's why I don't place as much weight on the inscription.

Even though it was a pretty good deal, I think I'll pass on it, too many questions to risk it. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone as always, great having a community like this to help out.

camarokids
11-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I bumped the thread that has the pics of the locker room. I paid $200.00 for the glove I have. I would offer the same and see what happens. Still a nice glove.

spartakid
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the photos David, I'll give it some thought and see.

camarokids
11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
I have one of the exact same gloves signed the same way.

I posted a pic on this site that I took of Kazmir's locker. I got to tour the locker room as a season ticket holder in 2007. Kazmir had six of these gloves in his locker on the top shelf.

At one time these sold for $1500.00 each. I paid a fraction of that for mine due to the fact his career has gone down the toilet at the time.

Has Kaz been picked up by a team?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/17/scott-kazmirs-story-keeps-getting-sadder/

I do agree with one of the comments on how sad can it really be. He made millions living a dream. He still plays a game and can do whatever he wants within reason. I would say it is disappointing on how his career has gone down hill. Not sad.