PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old baseball books and cigar labels

skipcareyisfat
10-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey guys,
Hoping you might be able to help provide some information on the items shown below. One book is a Spalding Baseball Guide from 1883 and the other is a Spalding Official Baseball Record book from 1917. As you can tell, they aren't exactly in mint condition. A few of the small photos from the 1917 book have been removed and the cover and spine has been taped, as has the 1883 guide. It looks like the 1883 one still has all of the original pages, although the cover has a few tears.

The other items shown are cigar labels that would've been wrapped around a cigar. The top one is an Al Simmons Erlinda Cigar Co. Middle one is Joe Tinker. Bottom one is Babe Ruth RB (I think).

Would anyone be able to provide a value for these?

Thanks very much for your time.

Jason
jctaylor101@yahoo.com

mjkm90
10-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I would need to check old auctions, but given the condition and the fact that photos have been removed, I would say the value is nominal. The cigar bands are quite collectible. Not big ticket items unless they have player photos, but probably in the $50-$100 would be my guess.

skipcareyisfat
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks, mjkm90. That's about the range I had in mind as well. Also, yesterday I noticed that the other Cigar sticker actually says "Baby Ruth," instead of "Babe Ruth." So maybe it's unrelated to baseball. These items actually belong to a friend. I told him the vintage collectors on this site might be able to shed some light on some of it. If anyone's interested in any of it, I'm sure he would entertain offers.
Jason