PDA

View Full Version : How does wearing a game worn jersey affect its value?

swainer
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd like to get the opinion of the forum regarding how much wearing a game worn jersey decreases (if any) the value of said jersey. I'm trying to pry one of my holy grail jerseys from a guy I know but he is very reluctant to part with it. The main reason is he loves to wear the jersey to games, out on the town, etc. Presumably he's washed the jersey numerous times as well. So I'd imagine any chance of a photo match was lost in the wash cycle. Being relatively confident the jersey is legit, I still want the jersey. I would think consistently wearing the jersey has to decrease its value somewhat. But how much? 20%? 30%? 50%?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Peace,

John

sox83cubs84
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd like to get the opinion of the forum regarding how much wearing a game worn jersey decreases (if any) the value of said jersey. I'm trying to pry one of my holy grail jerseys from a guy I know but he is very reluctant to part with it. The main reason is he loves to wear the jersey to games, out on the town, etc. Presumably he's washed the jersey numerous times as well. So I'd imagine any chance of a photo match was lost in the wash cycle. Being relatively confident the jersey is legit, I still want the jersey. I would think consistently wearing the jersey has to decrease its value somewhat. But how much? 20%? 30%? 50%?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Peace,

John

Unless the jersey were to be permanently stained or damaged, I couldn't care less. However, to a large number of GUU members...maybe even a majority...wearing and washing a game-used jersey is comparable to drawing a moustache and beard on the Mona Lisa.

Dave Miedema

otismalibu
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Unless he's caused additional wear/damage, I would think the worst scenario is that he washed away some matching marks.

Everyone wants to think their gamer came right off the player's back. Very few have any clues as to the history of their item. And yeah, that's a Dr. J. gamer she's wearing.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/NanDrJ.jpg

jppopma
11-21-2012, 09:39 PM
There is a big divide on here when it comes to people wearing gamers. Personally, I don't think it would affect the price unless they did some damage to the jersey or added noticeable wear.

BTW; when dealing with reluctant sellers sometimes you have to go big. Sometimes you need to look past things and overpay when dealing with a grail. Not worth the risk of blowing your chances with a lowball offer and insulting the guy for wearing the jersey around.

legaleagle92481
11-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Jon,

I would say it depends on a few factors. Did he stretch the jersey out by wearing it? Did washing it damage it at all? Repeated washings wear down any garment. Did he add any substances to the jersey? I.E. spilled beer or food on it. You obviously need to closely examine the jersey for these and other issues. Assuming the jersey is not damaged at all by the wear I would say not much value should be subtracted. Lets be real absent damage whenever you buy a jersey you cant tell if its been worn by someone other than the player. Whether the wearer be a prior owner or someone in the locker room (I am sure many players kids try on daddy's jerseys all the time)

flaco1801
11-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I agree with Dave...its foolish...

Cubsfan4life
11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I have no interest in owning a jersey someone else wore.

ironmanfan
11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
I have no interest in owning a jersey someone else wore.

like the player?

Cubsfan4life
11-22-2012, 11:51 PM
like the player?

No someone else other than the player is what I meant :)

swainer
11-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the responses!

jppopma - I agree. The owner of the jersey and I have completed a few transactions now so we have a very good working relationship. I honestly think he will ask a fair price for it once he (and his kids) are ready to part with it and it will be just as important to him that the jersey has found a "good home" as the price he realizes for the jersey.

leagleeagle - As far as I know, he hasn't added significant damage to the jersey. And to be honest, I don't know how many times he's washed it. It is autographed twice by the player and the autographs appear somewhat strong still so I'm sure he's not washing it every week. That's what I was thinking as well. If he didn't tell me he wears it all of the time, would I have even have known. Probably not.

Dave/Otis - I think we're on the same page. Although I can understand the other side's point of view.

Thanks again guys and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! My Lions did their part in ensuring my Turkey day was the same as the past 8 even though I'm no longer in Michigan.

Peace,

John

jake33
11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I have an game used Buccaneers jersey that i bought for $81.50 , becuase the seller sold it incorrectly. I wear it on a lot of gamedays. It is tough to get much lower value than that. So, i could probably lsit a fixed price auction and list it as an "authentic" jersey, which has a bigger market for buyers than game worn and probably get over $100 for it.

However, for those highend game used items that are $500+ yes it likely would lower the value, those jersey really go into more of a "memorabilia" buying group of people.

JJKANDLAK
11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I've worn a couple of "common player" gameused jerseys to ballgames, tailgates, etc. but have never washed them. For "star" players my policy has been the jersey stays in the display case.

gingi79
11-25-2012, 04:02 AM
Game worn jerseys are a collectible now. If Babe Ruth gave a kid his jersey and the entire family wore it through the generations and it came up for sale tomorrow, would it make it less real and valuable? Of course not. Its expected to have been used as a shirt as that's what it is.

If Marilyn Monroe wore one of Joe D's old jerseys to bed every night, the value would increase right? Why? She had no athletic talent. Her lifetime batting average was .000. She enhances the value because she was a sexy woman and a celeb but no different than you or I. You could even argue she negatively affected it because it now smells like Chanel #5.

I have a strict rule of only wearing a jersey I won't sell.
I assume every jersey I buy has been worn by more than just the player. Barring wear has been added or erased, the jersey is still an authentic game worn item of a player I admire. Nothing else matters to me. Just an opinion.

TBTwinsFan
11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it wasn't damaged or stretched.

suave1477
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
This topic has been discussed before!!

And to reiterate my opinion from last time. I think it is terrible for someone to wear a game used / issued Jersey.

Everyone mentions well its not that big of a deal it was already worn by the player and as long as it is been taken care of minus food stains, beer, etc.... (kind of the what we dont know doesnt hurt us approach) And yes I get it that some where, at some point someone may have worn a jersey that I own and chances are I will never really know.

But for those of who you who think its an innocent thing to wear a Jersey. Think about this. Wonder how many Game Issueds are in your collection that only show wear due to the guy who decided he wanted to wear his game issued Jersey and now over the course of time of him cleaning it, it now shows use. So now you have a Jersey in your collection that was never even touched by the player but you spent your hard earned money for that Jersey thinking it was game used (That was worn by the guy at your local gas station):eek:

I will even take it one step further I will not sell a game issued or used jersey to someone who has made me aware his intentions for the item are to wear.

Potential buyers on ebay have emails me and asked me for specifics on size of something I am selling. I ask them why? They say I want to make sure the Jersey fits me to wear it. I kindly tell them that I prefer not to sell it for personal use to wear as it devalues the item.

suave1477
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Game worn jerseys are a collectible now. If Babe Ruth gave a kid his jersey and the entire family wore it through the generations and it came up for sale tomorrow, would it make it less real and valuable? Of course not. Its expected to have been used as a shirt as that's what it is.

If Marilyn Monroe wore one of Joe D's old jerseys to bed every night, the value would increase right? Why? She had no athletic talent. Her lifetime batting average was .000. She enhances the value because she was a sexy woman and a celeb but no different than you or I. You could even argue she negatively affected it because it now smells like Chanel #5.

I have a strict rule of only wearing a jersey I won't sell.
I assume every jersey I buy has been worn by more than just the player. Barring wear has been added or erased, the jersey is still an authentic game worn item of a player I admire. Nothing else matters to me. Just an opinion.

Not to point you out Gingi just adding to the point I made.

What if the Jersey you own was worn by everybody else but the player???

Its like saying I have a Derek Jeter Game Issued Jersey for $500 but wait give me a couple of weeks going out with it to my friends at the bars and washing it and WALLAH now I have a Derek Jeter Game Used Jersey for $1,000

suave1477
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I've worn a couple of "common player" gameused jerseys to ballgames, tailgates, etc. but have never washed them. For "star" players my policy has been the jersey stays in the display case.

This is also the next problem. People think well if its a common player who cares right??? No big deal right? Wrong!!
A common players specific Jersey doesnt have to have value simply because hes a star, but he could of been that guy I went to school with, that guy who is the town hero, maybe he was the guy who treated me really nice one day when I met him, and now I am looking for an actual game used jersey of that player.

A more further extreme example of my point. What if I could get my hands on a common player jersey who played for the 61 Yankees, I would pay a premium for that. But some guy decided he wanted to wear the Jersey out to a softball game and sweat in it because it was just a common players jersey, yeah but the player belonged to a meaningful team. What if it was a common players Jersey from the 1919 White Sox???

My point is common players I dont think should be worn either but again these are just my opinions.

I do like that fact you pointed out that you didnt wash them after you wore them lol:D Great so not only do we get the funk of the player but your own personal scent added lol
Does that cost extra when you sell it??? lol

otismalibu
11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Wonder how many Game Issueds are in your collection that only show wear due to the guy who decided he wanted to wear his game issued Jersey and now over the course of time of him cleaning it, it now shows use.

I'm not a big fan of wearing gamers, but I do have an old 1988 Sixers warmup jacket that I've worn twice. The tag has been markered more than once, so there's no way to know who wore it, but it is a larger size. If I cost myself a sale to all the Mike Gminski and Christian Welp collectors - so be it.

I guess it depends what activities are planned while wearing the jersey, but someone watching the game in a team issued jersey probably isn't adding detectable use. I have a retail Steelers jersey that is 10 years old. A Reebok authentic that was originally attributed to Randel El. I've worn it to the bar dozens of times. Years ago, I changed it to a current player. I've never put it in the dryer, but it's been worn/washed many times and you cannot see any wear. Nothing. No pilling inside or out. It's not like I'm stretching if over pads. And this is a made in Korea Reebok which surely must be lower quality than the Made in USA Steelers gamers from the same time frame.

MarinersFan34
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
For me, the bigger point comes down to Full Disclosure, which a large number of sellers fail to mention and it appears that's because they don't seem to think it matters. That is their own choice but if you wear a game used or team issued jersey and then ever sell it, please state as much. For the record, when I sell I don't state this because I don't wear them, I buy retail authentic jerseys to wear but never sell the ones I wear anyways.

A few years ago I bought a team issued jersey on here to wear because a retail authentic was not avail. anywhere in the player/style I wanted but I did look for that retail authentic option first. I never asked if it was worn because I made the assumption, team issued means just that, not worn. After getting it in hand, I noticed it had wear on it, and asked the seller who then stated, yea I wore it a few times. That is the only team issued jersey I've worn and I never plan to sell it but if I ever do, I will disclose what I know about it, including it being worn by myself and the previous owner.

I didn't value the jersey any less in this case but I would have liked to have had that info before I bought it. Even though it wouldn't have changed my mind on the purchase. Now if it had been a jersey I wanted for my collection it very well could be a deciding factor in my purchase.

We will never know the full history of every jersey we buy but there is no reason to not disclose every detail you know even if you don't think it matters. Like someone said about the Jeter jersey, if I just wanted a team issued jersey but some random guy wore it to the pub to watch games, I do value it less and would probably pass but there are others that wouldn't care and a sale would still happen.

I think it's more about keeping the hobby as honest as we can with full disclosure and passing on info when we have it readily avail.

suave1477
11-27-2012, 12:16 PM
For me, the bigger point comes down to Full Disclosure, which a large number of sellers fail to mention and it appears that's because they don't seem to think it matters. That is their own choice but if you wear a game used or team issued jersey and then ever sell it, please state as much. For the record, when I sell I don't state this because I don't wear them, I buy retail authentic jerseys to wear but never sell the ones I wear anyways.

A few years ago I bought a team issued jersey on here to wear because a retail authentic was not avail. anywhere in the player/style I wanted but I did look for that retail authentic option first. I never asked if it was worn because I made the assumption, team issued means just that, not worn. After getting it in hand, I noticed it had wear on it, and asked the seller who then stated, yea I wore it a few times. That is the only team issued jersey I've worn and I never plan to sell it but if I ever do, I will disclose what I know about it, including it being worn by myself and the previous owner.

I didn't value the jersey any less in this case but I would have liked to have had that info before I bought it. Even though it wouldn't have changed my mind on the purchase. Now if it had been a jersey I wanted for my collection it very well could be a deciding factor in my purchase.

We will never know the full history of every jersey we buy but there is no reason to not disclose every detail you know even if you don't think it matters. Like someone said about the Jeter jersey, if I just wanted a team issued jersey but some random guy wore it to the pub to watch games, I do value it less and would probably pass but there are others that wouldn't care and a sale would still happen.

I think it's more about keeping the hobby as honest as we can with full disclosure and passing on info when we have it readily avail.

I agree with what your saying to a degree. Yes there is no doubt about it honesty and full disclosure of the item is extremely important. But being honest doesnt make it ok.
If a guy takes a game issued jersey and decides one day he wants to go mudslidding in it and cleans it. Doesnt make it ok, that he was honest with me about what he did in the Jersey including ate for lunch that day and what he watched on tv that night. If it was a player I really wanted maybe for it being issued (it was cheaper than a game used) now it shows use or the fact that it was worn by a player and now you decided you wanted to roll in the mud with it to me takes away from the fact of the extra hard use the person added instead of the player.

And you say you will be honest and give full discllosure of the item of the wear from the previous owner and you and that is great but what about the guy after you? Between you and the guy before you, you made it virtually easy for the next guy to sell as game used.

To add to your full disclosure thats the next, how would you fully disclose it?? I am sure a potential buyer would love to read the description. Maybe it would go something like this??

1996 Yankees Derek Jeter Game Issued Jersey Steiner LOA $500
Description: Proper tagging, loa etc......
P.S. The guy who owned this Jersey before me wore it all the time out to baseball games and after him I bought it and used to go out on dates with it. I once squirted mayonaise on it and cleaned it but dont worry I got the stain out. There was that one date I went on and a girl kissed me and her make up got around the neck line but I let the Jersey soak in warm water and detergent over night and then some scrubbing and got that one out too. Jersey looks good as New!!

Happy Bidding on your Game Issued Jersey!!

Do you get my point? Honesty is great but you ruin the integrity of the item

MarinersFan34
11-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't get your point really, other than you do NOT like people to wear the jerseys..

Perhaps you forgot the point where I said I DO NOT sell the ones I wear and if you read it close enough, I mostly buy retail authentics to wear. There is ONE and ONLY ONE team issued jersey I have worn. The guy was cut before the jersey could have EVER been worn, there is NO plausible explanation for it showing any use other than it being worn by anyone/everyone else BUT the said player. It's not a Yankee jersey so you don't have to worry.

I certainly don't agree with the card companies buying jerseys and chopping them up but I'm not calling them and telling them what they can do with items they rightfully paid for and own just because I don't agree with them.

Knowing if a jersey has been worn by someone else since the player last wore it would be nice to know but there's no need to be the game used integrity police. If you don't know or don't disclose it, so be it. My view was merely a suggestion, I'm not here to write the new rules for buying/selling ethics. I cannot and will not be able to know what the next seller does and who am I to tell them or judge them, they pay for it, they can do what they choose.

In the end, buy what you like and what you're comfortable with (player worn and/or fan worn) and let it be.. life is too short to nitpick and tell people how to buy/sell or what they can/can't do with items they buy.

slab0meat
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
I will even take it one step further I will not sell a game issued or used jersey to someone who has made me aware his intentions for the item are to wear.

Potential buyers on ebay have emails me and asked me for specifics on size of something I am selling. I ask them why? They say I want to make sure the Jersey fits me to wear it. I kindly tell them that I prefer not to sell it for personal use to wear as it devalues the item.

these are just my opinions.

Here's my opinions. Not selling it to someone for that reason is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Asking people "Why?" if they're inquiring about your item for sale is absolutely none of your business, as well.

People buy something and want to wear it, go ahead. THEY OWN IT. It's a whole different matter if they then try to sell something that THEY'VE dirtied up, without telling the whole story, etc.

suave1477
11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't get your point really, other than you do NOT like people to wear the jerseys..

Perhaps you forgot the point where I said I DO NOT sell the ones I wear and if you read it close enough, I mostly buy retail authentics to wear. There is ONE and ONLY ONE team issued jersey I have worn. The guy was cut before the jersey could have EVER been worn, there is NO plausible explanation for it showing any use other than it being worn by anyone/everyone else BUT the said player. It's not a Yankee jersey so you don't have to worry.

I certainly don't agree with the card companies buying jerseys and chopping them up but I'm not calling them and telling them what they can do with items they rightfully paid for and own just because I don't agree with them.

Knowing if a jersey has been worn by someone else since the player last wore it would be nice to know but there's no need to be the game used integrity police. If you don't know or don't disclose it, so be it. My view was merely a suggestion, I'm not here to write the new rules for buying/selling ethics. I cannot and will not be able to know what the next seller does and who am I to tell them or judge them, they pay for it, they can do what they choose.

In the end, buy what you like and what you're comfortable with (player worn and/or fan worn) and let it be.. life is too short to nitpick and tell people how to buy/sell or what they can/can't do with items they buy.

To start this off with saying first of all my comments were not specifically directed to just point you out but more of a blanket opinion going based off your comments. Seems you took this as personal.
In regards to your points I will address them.

I did not forget, but you act like you may never in your whole life sell the game issued ones you wore. Anything can happen god forbid something bad happeneds and you need extra money. It could be a source of money for you. But who knows may be your so rich its nothing you will ever have to worry about.

So lets say now somewhere down the road you decide to part with the item. As you said there is no plausible reason this Jersey should show use. Here comes along a list of potential buyers and they are all sitting there wondering how does a jersey that should of never been worn show so much use???

We should all be the integrity police because last time I checked integrity of items it what makes this forum possible. Obviously to you integrity isnt that important especially since you feel integrity is apart of 'new rules' I always though it was apart of the "old rules"

Life is to short to nitpick??? Thats what this forum is designed for, for people to network and nitpick items to get opinions on authenticity.

No one is saying to dedicate your life to nitpicking but I kind of like the fact when im spending my hard earned money for something I am getting what I paid for.

And since you feel money, integrity, and nit picking are not that important. Please let me know what game used items you need???? Ill make some up for you in my backyard over this weekend and have them ready for you.
Babe Ruth Game Used Bats
Naimath Jerseys
Bonds Last Home Run
Brooklyn Bridge
Let me know what you would like?:p

suave1477
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Here's my opinions. Not selling it to someone for that reason is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Asking people "Why?" if they're inquiring about your item for sale is absolutely none of your business, as well.

People buy something and want to wear it, go ahead. THEY OWN IT. It's a whole different matter if they then try to sell something that THEY'VE dirtied up, without telling the whole story, etc.

You can think it is ridiculous as you ever heard or you can consider it as someone trying to do his part in preserving the authenticity as much as possible on items. Or maybe you can consider it just someone very passionate about the hobby.

Excuse me asking why is none of my business, that doesnt even make sense. Of course it is my business. It help can help me understand maybe something specific your looking for in the Jersey. You must not understand your customers very well, then your selling something.

If you are looking to buy a car and you ask the salesperson questions. I want him to ask me why because maybe he can point me in the right direction of something better to look for.

People can buy whatever they want and wear it. I can't stop them but I can help deter that from happening to items coming out of my hands.

One thing at last, if anyone gets from this thread. When you buy something from me you are getting something that was passionately taken care of and never worn by me at least. So people know they will get a quality item from me.

Jags Fan Dan
11-28-2012, 03:12 PM
My own take is that it is a little nuts to wear a GU jersey of any greater value than a retail authentic.

nevrdiez34
11-28-2012, 03:22 PM
My own take is that it is a little nuts to wear a GU jersey of any greater value than a retail authentic.

+1

helmets
11-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I hate the way these new football jerseys fit. Give me a classic durene with actual sleeves and ample room in the shoulders any day...:D

jppopma
11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I have seen the light and see that I must do a better job at protecting my jerseys. Here is what I am asking Santa for...

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-40851-grande-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-16-5-16-seal-bar/92240851.html

I'd hate for any non stadium dust to get on them.

Come on, $5,000 is a small price for integrity!

genius
11-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm borrowing this video link from "Michigan Tech Gamers" on the hockey forum. Be warned though it pokes some serious fun at the game-worn hobby! Two guys debating wear, photomatch, LOAs, etc. Starts a bit slow but I would predict you start laughing at about the 3:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPFA16Nkr0&feature=youtu.be

frikativ54
11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I have seen the light and see that I must do a better job at protecting my jerseys. Here is what I am asking Santa for...

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-40851-grande-chamber-vacuum-packaging-machine-with-16-5-16-seal-bar/92240851.html

LMAO! :D

joelsabi
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm borrowing this video link from "Michigan Tech Gamers" on the hockey forum. Be warned though it pokes some serious fun at the game-worn hobby! Two guys debating wear, photomatch, LOAs, etc. Starts a bit slow but I would predict you start laughing at about the 3:00 mark.

thanks for the laugh.

hmmm 3K on jumbo ziplock bags or 5K for a vacuum package machine

canadian photomatching is awesome.

suave1477
11-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Yes a bit slow but funny :p