PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion......collectors thinking!

COWBOYS4EVR
11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Looking for others opinions in the thinking of other collectors.
I collect football items only, mostly Dallas Cowboys and very little raiders
just to keep the wife involved.
I'm often on all the auction sites but mostly on NFL Auctions. I would say
that those of us who collect football items get on that site at least 3 times a week or more. Give or take.
I know the 2012 Nike jerseys are going for only what the welloff can
afford since there new. My opinion is not on that but on the signed non-game used helmets and regular Wilson footballs that are autographed.
I know all the money goes to the charity the item is listed in,
which is a great thing. The price at which they are selling for is way over
in my opinion.
Why spend 1000.00 on a Barry Sanders or 800.00 for a Ray Lewis non game worn helmet from them. When you can pick one up for less at an online memorabilia site with the same PSA/DNA authentication. Same with the footballs on most occasions, unless there special BCA balls or game used.
Is it the authentication that because its from the NFL that its gotta be real when bidding gets the items this high.
Is the PSA/DNA authentication so much different when the item is from a memorabilia site.
Or the fact the money goes to a good cause and will do good for others.

Just trying to see what others think......

jppopma
11-24-2012, 09:39 PM
You hit the nail on the head with your thoughts. It is a combination of charity (maybe write offs), trust (albeit blind), and the volume of the number of casual gift buyers who will look there first or only.

JJKANDLAK
11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Looking for others opinions in the thinking of other collectors.
I collect football items only, mostly Dallas Cowboys and very little raiders
just to keep the wife involved.
I'm often on all the auction sites but mostly on NFL Auctions. I would say
that those of us who collect football items get on that site at least 3 times a week or more. Give or take.
I know the 2012 Nike jerseys are going for only what the welloff can
afford since there new. My opinion is not on that but on the signed non-game used helmets and regular Wilson footballs that are autographed.
I know all the money goes to the charity the item is listed in,
which is a great thing. The price at which they are selling for is way over
in my opinion.
Why spend 1000.00 on a Barry Sanders or 800.00 for a Ray Lewis non game worn helmet from them. When you can pick one up for less at an online memorabilia site with the same PSA/DNA authentication. Same with the footballs on most occasions, unless there special BCA balls or game used.
Is it the authentication that because its from the NFL that its gotta be real when bidding gets the items this high.
Is the PSA/DNA authentication so much different when the item is from a memorabilia site.
Or the fact the money goes to a good cause and will do good for others.

Just trying to see what others think......

My thoughts are strictly financial...its my understanding that you can deduct part of the purchase as a charitable deduction. Unless its an item that you can't obtain a somewhat similaiar one elsehere..then I would pass. For instance, if they are selling a gamused jersey of your favorite player for $1000 and you can find a different year of the same player for $600 or less in on eBay or elsewhere..then buy the non-charity item.

commando
11-24-2012, 10:39 PM
I would love to find ONE example of an item being purchased off of NFL Auctions, then being sold later for a profit. There may be a handful of items over the years that were purchased before a player had a breakout season, perhaps, and the item in question gained value because of it.

gingi79
11-25-2012, 03:50 AM
I would love to find ONE example of an item being purchased off of NFL Auctions, then being sold later for a profit. There may be a handful of items over the years that were purchased before a player had a breakout season, perhaps, and the item in question gained value because of it.

This is spot on. Pricing is always insane on NFL Auctions and the bad press from JO and others are only enhancing those numbers. For every 250 jerseys that sell for thousands of dollars and depreciate immediately maybe there is one Wes Welker San Diego Chargers or Victor Cruz first game ever jersey for $250.

sox83cubs84
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I see the same with most items on MLB Auctions, though not to as large a degree. Still, when I have the funds to scan eBay, I see so many jerseys and baseballs that aren't put up for the standard MLB price, and see a lot of unmoving and repeat listing s for the items where the buyers DO think they can make a profit.

Dave Miedema

snick33
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Sadly for me just entering the hobby. I see the prices on NFL Auction and just shrug my shoulders. Its way out of my price range. Ive spent 450 on cleats and had another pair given to me this season. But as far as buying now. Items are way out of my price range. Kinda frustrates someone coming into the hobby. I will say it doesn't help that I only want to collect Steeler items. As they are the hardest to find. With that being said I started looking into my favorite college team Notre Dame. I did this before this season started not thinking they would be where they are. Just got a call this Saturday. Te'o Eifert and a few other big names. The jerseys are selling for 3000.00 to 7500.00. I dont think its just the NFL. I think prices have went up each year over the last three years. I may have to go back to autograph collecting...

hfd0035
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Whats really sad to think about is when all these guys retire you will more than likely not even have to pay half of what you would pay now, especially NFL Auction prices. With very few player exceptions of course.....I figured its better to not even visit NFL Auctions, what I dont know wont hurt me.

legaleagle92481
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
1. You are not suppossed to write off NFL auctions purchases on your taxes as charitable contributions. Albeit I am sure people do it. It is not a legal tax deduction.

2. I have sold several NFL jerseys at a profit from NFL Auctions you just need to pick and choose what you buy there are good deals on there every once in awhile.

jake33
11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Also, take this into account:

1) A lot of people who typically do not buy memorabilia at the frequency that we (colletors on this site) do. That also skews values a lot as well. I think that the PSA/DNA paperwork only matters in the secondary market, people want to buy from NFL auctions, that is in a lot of buyers minds a better for piece of mind authenticity than the paperwork. A lot of the buyers on their don't even know what PSA/DNA is. It is the thought of "it came form nfl auctions, so its real"

2) Lastly, I sold 2 Bucs jerseys at profit I bought from NFL auctions. Not a lot of profit, but it has happened. I bought a few Bucs jerseys on NFL auctions when they were purchased in the off season, a got a couple under $200 that were pounded with use. Those prices in the offseason go down a TON. Again goes back to the part time collectors, who really aren't into the hobby as much as others.

As I have gotten older, I have seen more and more that when the sport is in-season buyers for the particular sport must double. I jsut sold a Buccaneers game used helmet that I couldn't get $600 in July and had a buyer that couldn't wait to get it last week for $850