PDA

View Full Version : Griese Game Helmet

NEFAN
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Bob-Griese-Miami-Dolphins-Game-Used-Football-Helmet-12-RARE-/360522075565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f0ca4dad

Thoughts?

genius
11-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I looked at a bunch of press photos from 1967-1974 and didn't find any where the numbers were that large or located outside the rear striping. I'm not at all a helmet expert though.

Dewey2007
11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
It's these types of posts when I miss reading Robert's (Aeneas01) expertise on helmets. Even though I don't collect helmets they were hands down the most interesting, educational posts on GUU. He broke down helmets like Ron Jaworski breaks down game film for ESPN!

Robert please make a guest appearance for old time sake! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Bob-Griese-Miami-Dolphins-Game-Used-Football-Helmet-12-RARE-/360522075565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f0ca4dad

Thoughts?

finfanrb23
11-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Same as Dewey, not a helmet guy but I see some issues.

- Like previously stated the numbers are too big and outside of the stripes.
- Every picture I have seen shows Griese wearing a Riddell Kra Lite not a Wilson.
- I believe there should be an extra hole for the mounting of the unique style facemask Griese wore
- The broken clips show that at one point there was another facemask style attached and as far as I know he only wore the one style

Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable will jump in to the discussion.

helmets
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
These helmets were produced by Wilson as salesman's samples I believe. There has been a number of them sold over the years as Griese gamers. I own an identical helmet to this one, same logos, same numbers, although my helmet is in much nicer shape with all of the padding.

Certainly not a Griese gamer.

yosef777
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
I agree with helmets, I have seen a few Dolphin / Wilson helmets on the market which were probably salesman samples but Griese did in fact wear a Wilson F2101 later in his career (post SB victories and while wearing glasses era). Also, as finfanrb23 stated, the number decals are wrong and the additional (broken) clips on the nosebumper are from the wrong style facemask. To me the most obvious problem with this helmet is the mask drill hole on the side doesn't match up with the Dunguard mask style he wore (it should have two holes on each side).