PDA

View Full Version : Red Auerbach dead.

33bird
10-28-2006, 08:35 PM
The greatest coach ever died tonight. God Bless Red. He'll be missed.
Greg

Oil Can Dan
10-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Under Red's leadership the Celtics were the first NBA team to put five black players on the court at the same time, the first team with a black coach (Russell), and the first team with a black GM (KC). No one thinks any of that is unusual in 2006, but in the 50's and 60's it was revolutionary.

RIP, Red. You were a great coach and a great man.

encinorick
10-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Now you know, Red, God is a Laker fan. RIP

jon_8_us
10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
R.I.P. Red.Sad day for all Celtics fans.........

allstarsplus
10-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Got to see ESPN Outside the Lines show on Red Auerbach this morning. I knew about all of his Championship seasons as Celtic's head coach, but learned much more about him as a person and a man. Very impressive!

jon_8_us
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
God may be a Lakers fan but i assure you that Red will remind him who's got more rings......a lot more
Jon

GO CELTS!!!!!!!

indyred
11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Celtics are going to have a nice patch to honor Red this season. I wish it was a lit cigar. I never knew he actually smoked a cigar at the end of a game while on the bench. Would be cool to see a few coaches do this as a tribute. Probally a fire code, but what the hell......RIP Red.

encinorick
11-02-2006, 10:50 AM
You add the Minn. Lakers Championships to the LA Lakers' and, include a couple of new ones in the next few years with Kobe, Bynum, et. al. and then do the math. The "Celtic dynasty" is in the coffin with Red. Pass the stoggie, my friend, Boston was lucky for a few years, but, God is definitely a Laker fan, 2-0 baby, 2-0 baby.

jon_8_us
11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
My friend...11 championships in 13 years is not luck.Where i come from thats the only true Dynasty in the history of basketball.Red Auerbach is a legend.Luck had nothing to do with it....
Jon
16 championships and counting

encinorick
11-02-2006, 12:53 PM
So for the past 20 or so years the reason the Celtics haven't won a Championship ring is because they are just bad, not unlucky. I agree. 16 Championship rings and...lights out. I understand Mass. guys love losers, (Sox, Bruins, John Kerry) add these guys to list. Red, may he rest in peace, was classless just like that other guy from New York, Al Davis. "Win at any cost," even cheat and blame it on the little people, the Leprechans. Well, what happens when you don't win? Am I suppose to feel sorry for ya? Hell no. I understand Al isn't feeling too good now. Well, like Ernie Banks (a class guy) always says: "Let's go for two."

sportscentury
11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Banks' famous saying is "Let's play two!"

encinorick
11-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Just tell me when and where they bury Al Davis. I'll drink a six pack and stand over his grave and let nature take its course. But getting back to that other hump, Red, lighting up a stoggie when you win is like grabbing your crotch, it was disrespectful and classless. No air conditioning in the vistor's locker, no running water for showers, etc. is just bullshit. Great and talented players like Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and, yes, even Wilt and Mikan, didn't deserve that treatment. At the time, Red would sneer and tell them that they were "sore losers." Where's the stoggie now, Red? Where's your beloved dynasty? Does anyone have a light?

kylehess10
11-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Have you guys ever realized that his name is pronounced hour-back and he passed away on day light savings?

both-teams-played-hard
11-02-2006, 02:26 PM
"Let's go for two."

"...and you say he's just a friend...and you say he's just a friend..."

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6247/magickissgb2.gif

jon_8_us
11-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Classless?Your talking about the man who broke the color barrier in the NBA.That is not a classless act.I implore you to do your research before calling THIS man classless.And about the locker rooms with no water or AC etc.the Garden was owned by the Boston Bruins and the Celtics had no control over any of it.Red would laugh when these accusations came his way because the Celtics locker rooms had the same conditions.He never denied it cause he believed it got under the visiting teams skins.Why say anything?This man had more character and class in his pinky finger then you or i combined.Why don't you try smearing someone like Magic Johnson who is one of the least classiest,philandering,no good pieces of sh*t that the basketball world has seen.Leave Red be........
jon

sportscentury
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Warren,

What was that line again? Something about "the ship be sinking"?

Reid

encinorick
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Nobody said Red was all bad, just classless. Josef Stalin liked dogs, so I guess he wasn't all bad either. Jerry West has class, Elgin Baylor has class, and, yes, Magic Johnson, too, who keeps giving and giving to his community, although early on he couldn't keep his pecker in those short-shorts. The Yankees are a dynasty team, perhaps, too, the Red Wings, but, the Celtics? 20 years of mediocrity and counting. They had a good run, that's it. Oh by the way, Josef Stalin was classless and he too was a Red!

33bird
11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Who's the idiot who said the Celtics weren't unlucky? Len Bias dies before he ever plays a game for them, and Reggie Lewis, at the time their best player and just in his prime, dies too. You can't replace a Bias and Reggie Lewis. The luck ran out in 1987. Celtics STILL have more Rings than the Lakers and it will stay that way because they both suck now. I'm with Shaq-he didn't want any part of the Lakers and Kobe. Pathetic.
GOD BLESS RED

encinorick
11-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Like I said, God is a Laker fan. "He giveth, and taketh it away" First, Bias then Lewis, now Red. Funny, Magic seems to be doing ok, and the Lakers, too. Don't include them with the slow, depressed, downtrodden Celtics. 2-0 baby, 2-0 baby;)