PDA

View Full Version : MEARS auction

64SHEA
11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
There are a few items I am interested in from the mears auction but I never buy any game used items without authentication (preferably first hand). How highly regarded is the mears loa on a hat or jersey?

jppopma
11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
On the Mears auctions, be careful to note if it is one of their auction letters or a full authentication letter. The full Mears authentication and grading is one of the better services out there. Sadly the auction letters are simply a piece of paper that says the same thing as the auction description.

commando
11-30-2012, 02:06 PM
On the Mears auctions, be careful to note if it is one of their auction letters or a full authentication letter. The full Mears authentication and grading is one of the better services out there. Sadly the auction letters are simply a piece of paper that says the same thing as the auction description.

True... But is my understanding that MEARS only does full worksheets for jerseys and bats. They will not do them for helmets, shoes, wristbands, etc.

64SHEA
11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
How do you tell? Most of the lots seem to say "LOA Troy Kinunen / MEARS".

trsent
11-30-2012, 04:46 PM
How do you tell? Most of the lots seem to say "LOA Troy Kinunen / MEARS".

Those are basic letters of authenticity. If you see a number grade it comes with a full letter and full worksheet. That is how I assume it always works. If it comes with a "LOA" like you see, then it is a basic MEARS LOA.

I value MEARS letters more than most in the industry these days. MeiGray is above MEARS on the food chart, but not many others in my opinion.

earlywynnfan
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
I would second Joel here. Of all "auction LOA's," MEARS is the only one I trust to have actually looked at the item. I have confidence in the items I've won from them that come with the more basic LOA instead of a full graded one.

Ken

perlman9
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
I did notice the Warren Sapp helmet seemed suspect in the auction. Cannot find a pic with that mask but maybe I just haven't run across one yet

trsent
11-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I would second Joel here. Of all "auction LOA's," MEARS is the only one I trust to have actually looked at the item. I have confidence in the items I've won from them that come with the more basic LOA instead of a full graded one.

Ken

Ken and I on the same page? I wonder when this thread will be removed. :rolleyes:

cubbs1232
11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I did notice the Warren Sapp helmet seemed suspect in the auction. Cannot find a pic with that mask but maybe I just haven't run across one yet

That is not a game used Sapp helmet. He NEVER wore the mask with the bar down the bridge of his nose, not in TB not in Oakland, NEVER. I contacted Mears and they changed the description to a very vague description.

64SHEA
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Anyone know what they do with lots that don't sell? There is an item I'm interested in but it has no bids so I was wondering if I contact them tomorrow I could get it cheaper.