PDA

View Full Version : Grey FLannel Lot #36 Ken Griffey Jr. Possible Last AB Game Worn Jersey

GoTigers
12-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I was going to bid on this lot, but did a little research before I did. I'm sure this was not the jersey he wore in his last at bat, and I have doubts about it's authenticity. His last AB jersey does not have a teal fill-in on the "4", the auction jersey does have a fill-in. Also, I found images of a public appearance dated 5/5/2010. The jersey he is wearing is the same style as the jersey in question, but has different tagging. Finally, the spacing in the front "24" seems questionable. The auction jersey has the numbers located closely to seam by the buttons. In all the images I have found there looks to be a couple inches between that seam and the "2". I emailed Grey Flannel this morning about the jersey, but have not recieved a reply. I decided to go ahead and post here since there have been bids placed during the day, and I wanted to let people see this information before they decide to bid.
Thanks,

justinwc80
12-02-2012, 08:28 PM
The difference in the tagging is because the personal appearance jersey is not a cool base jersey. Players don't usually wear game jerseys for appearances.

buc
12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I was going to bid on this lot, but did a little research before I did. I'm sure this was not the jersey he wore in his last at bat, and I have doubts about it's authenticity. His last AB jersey does not have a teal fill-in on the "4", the auction jersey does have a fill-in. Also, I found images of a public appearance dated 5/5/2010. The jersey he is wearing is the same style as the jersey in question, but has different tagging. Finally, the spacing in the front "24" seems questionable. The auction jersey has the numbers located closely to seam by the buttons. In all the images I have found there looks to be a couple inches between that seam and the "2". I emailed Grey Flannel this morning about the jersey, but have not recieved a reply. I decided to go ahead and post here since there have been bids placed during the day, and I wanted to let people see this information before they decide to bid.
Thanks,

Kruk Cards has a lot of the 2010 Mariners alternate jerseys for sale. Placement of the numbers look very comparable to the Griffey jersey in the auction and the 4's are filled in on the ones that have 4's. They are MLB authenticated as well.

GoTigers
12-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Well, I'd love to be wrong. Can you post some pictures? I'm still in doubt, as I cannot find more than 1 game where Griffey wore this style jersey, and in that game the 4 is not filled in. It says in the auction he wore this style in his 2nd to last game, but I looked at his season batting log, and in his second to last game they wore home whites, I think it was Mat 23rd.

chuck70
12-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Here are a few screen shots from his at bat on 5-31-2010 hopefully these will help!!!!

Chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com
Always looking for Mike Cameron,JJ Hardy,and Casey McGeHee items!!!!!!!

buc
12-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Well, I'd love to be wrong. Can you post some pictures? I'm still in doubt, as I cannot find more than 1 game where Griffey wore this style jersey, and in that game the 4 is not filled in. It says in the auction he wore this style in his 2nd to last game, but I looked at his season batting log, and in his second to last game they wore home whites, I think it was Mat 23rd.

Here is one of Kruk's listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Seattle-Mariners-Carl-Willis-48-Game-Used-Blue-Alternate-Jersey-/160913445929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577305429

They have a few more alternates as well...looks like they are filled in, just don't show up well on photos. The screenshots show the 4 filled in as well that were just posted.

GoTigers
12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm up in the air about the "4" being filled, but maybe it's my screen/eyes.. What about that spacing? It's further away from the buttons than the jersey in question. To me hiss final AB jersey looks an awful lot like the personal appearance jersey and the tagging on that jersey doesn't look retail either. I appreciate the informative comments. Thanks for your help guys.

GoTigers
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
I say the personal appearance jersey does not look retail, bc I think I can see a size tag, and a "Property of" tag. It does appear that this jersey is at least an issues jersey, if not worn in an earlier game, but I still don't believe this is his final AB jersey. Thanks again for the help.

justinwc80
12-02-2012, 09:31 PM
The four looks to be filled in when watching the game on MLB tv

chuck70
12-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Posting these comments on the jersey from a past member

"Screen shots has the placement of the 2 directly under the E in MARINERS. Look at the placement of the 2 on the GF jersey-it into the N in MARINERS.

Screen shots has the I in MARINERS closer to the button than the GF jersey

Screen shot shows the 4 on front outside of the S in MARINERS. GF jersey has it to the left of the S

Screen shot has the top of the numbers in 24 aligned almost horizontally with the button to the left. GF jersey has the 24 way under the horizontal area of the button. "

chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com

Always looking for Mike Cameron,jj hardy,and Casey McGehee items!!!!

earlywynnfan
12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
To my eye, I can't definitively tell about the filled in 4. However, the alignment issues are conclusive: it's not the same jersey!

Ken

MarinersFan34
12-03-2012, 04:05 AM
For the person that mentioned that players don't often wear gamers to public events, the Mariners do NOT follow that trend. I can provide scans if needed but just like the Griffey photo posted already, they do wear their gamers to the school/hospital events.

I don't like the placement of the front numbers and for quick reference, check out the scan below. This confirms the placement with the screen grabs from the 5-31 game already posted. I will say I don't think he wore a cool base jersey for his last game, I do not see the fabric cuts for the armpit area on the photos or game footage.

GoTigers
12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, I went through Ken Griffey's game log for that season and found they wore that style on 4-30-2010, 5-7-2010, and 5-31-2010.

We know that he did not wear the jersey at auction on 5-31-2010. I'm still digging to see if they wore the Cool Base or the other variation on the remaining two dates.

GoTigers
12-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Just a quick update.. I have found a couple of images from the other 2 games, but I have not found anything conclusive. If anyone with MLB.TV can help, I'd be very grateful.

Grey Flannel has contacted me and they are looking into it as well. Everyone has been very helpful. Hopefully Griffey did wear the jersey in one or both of the other games.

chuck70
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Here are afew screen shots!!!!
5-7-10

Chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com

Always looking for Mike Cameron,JJ Hardy, and Casey McGehee items!!!!

chuck70
12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Here are a few more screen shots!!!

4-30-10

chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com
Always looking for Mike Cameron,JJ Hardy, and Casey McGehee items!!!!

MarinersFan34
12-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Considering the dates posted and as someone who is in the Pacific NW, I find it extremely doubtful that Jr. wore a cool base during those months considering the weather here. He's got the full sleeves going and most in the crowd are bundled up in jackets, so unless it's a weight issue, I can't see the need for a cool base in cold weather. I haven't seen every game he was in but I'd lean towards no cool base on cold game days. I will be the first to admit being wrong should proof surface, I'm not above that by any means but I don't think you'll find it.

How does the number placement NOT concern you? The front #4 on the GF jersey is in the place we expect to see it lined up IF the jersey number was simply a 4 and not a 2 digit number. I get that there are anomalies and while they are rare, they do happen. I just don't see it happening with the front numbers being offset that much.

An auction house that didn't even take 5 minutes to see that the number placement meant that it CANNOT be from his last career game but still puts it in the auction title says all I need to know about them.

buc
12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, the jersey was at one time in my possession. I purchased the jersey based on the photos I had at the time which at least constituted a style match. I did not have access to the screen shots and everything seemed to match up. I also had discussions about the jersey with some pretty well respected members and authenticators who did not see any red flags at the time. They did say that they would like to have it to review, but given we did not see any red flags, I bought it and never submitted it. I wish had gone that extra step. I sold the jersey to a well respected GUU member here who I assume is the consignor, but not certain. Regardless, I wish I had sent the jersey off, as I have no doubt they would have had the access to determine what has been shown here now...it does not appear to be the same jersey given the alignment issues. I sincerely hope Grey Flannel does the correct thing and pulls it and sends it back to the consignor. I will certainly honor any return and can then go about trying to get my money back.

GoTigers
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Great work Chuck! Thanks for everyone's help on this. I was really hoping the jersey was worn earlier in the year, but it appears that it was not. I appreciate all the research, time, and helpful comments.. That's what makes the forum great!

GoTigers
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Buc, I just saw your post. That's very big of you. I do hate it for the consigner, and I wouldn't have questioned the jersey if it hadnt been attributed to a specific game. I have faith that GFA wil do the right thing.

Buc, if you and Chuck70 want to email me your Paypal addresses, I'll send you guys a christmas gift for your help.

MarinersFan34
12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Buc,

When you had the jersey did you ever put it on a light table or hold it up to light to see if there was ever a name/number change?

buc
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Buc,

When you had the jersey did you ever put it on a light table or hold it up to light to see if there was ever a name/number change?

Not at all...never crossed my mind to do that, but I will when it is returned to me before I try to get my money back...already conferred with the person who I sold it to glad to see Grey Flannel pulled it. I'll update when I do get it back and let everyone know.

joelsabi
12-03-2012, 02:44 PM
so what is this then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-Game-Used-Jersey-2010-Mariners-Last-Jersey-1-1-GUARANTEED-Auto-/221045536383?item=221045536383&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=z9nztwePvQ1rWaNRe9CP%2F1T7M1Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

joelsabi
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
so what is this then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-Game-Used-Jersey-2010-Mariners-Last-Jersey-1-1-GUARANTEED-Auto-/221045536383?item=221045536383&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=z9nztwePvQ1rWaNRe9CP%2F1T7M1Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

its another jersey claiming the same thing. i just bring it up because of its own claim and also the "4" is not completely filled in teal. the center is dark.

the description has some tricky language too.

buc
12-03-2012, 02:54 PM
its another jersey claiming the same thing. i just bring it up because of its own claim and also the "4" is not completely filled in teal. the center is dark.

the description has some tricky language too.

Not sure what you mean...this is where I sold it based on the information and photos I had at the time. I also contacted all the bidders prior to the listing ending and said that it was a photo style match based on the photos, not a photo match. And, like I said, I offered a 100% money back guarantee. And the 4 is completely filled in...its just hard to see in the photos.

joelsabi
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Not sure what you mean...this is where I sold it based on the information and photos I had at the time. I also contacted all the bidders prior to the listing ending and said that it was a photo style match based on the photos, not a photo match. And, like I said, I offered a 100% money back guarantee. And the 4 is completely filled in...its just hard to see in the photos.

What I meant was where the three lines cross to make the 4 there is a triangle created and it is hilighted in teal. then in the very middle the color matches the color of the jersey. So you are saying that your jersey has that but its just hard to see it. I cannot even see it on the caps from mlb.tv and that could a resolution problem too.

buc
12-03-2012, 09:10 PM
What I meant was where the three lines cross to make the 4 there is a triangle created and it is hilighted in teal. then in the very middle the color matches the color of the jersey. So you are saying that your jersey has that but its just hard to see it. I cannot even see it on the caps from mlb.tv and that could a resolution problem too.

What I'm saying is that the 4 is just like this one that is MLB authenticated, but depending on the light/flash of the camera, it shows up better or worse:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Seattle-Mariners-Carl-Willis-48-Game-Used-Blue-Alternate-Jersey-/160913445929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2577305429

joelsabi
12-03-2012, 09:45 PM
What I'm saying is that the 4 is just like this one that is MLB authenticated, but depending on the light/flash of the camera, it shows up better or worse:

OK

I see see the detail on the cached page here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-tVzM_osERQJ:catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx%3Flotid%3D28951%26searchby%3D0%26se archvalue%3DNone%26page%3D0%26sortby%3D0%26display by%3D2%26lotsperpage%3D50%26category%3D1%26seo%3D2 010-Ken-Griffey%252C-Jr.-Seattle-Mariners-Game-Used-Alternate-Jersey-Possibly-Worn-in-Final-MLB-Career-+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

joelsabi
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
How does the number placement NOT concern you? The front #4 on the GF jersey is in the place we expect to see it lined up IF the jersey number was simply a 4 and not a 2 digit number. I get that there are anomalies and while they are rare, they do happen. I just don't see it happening with the front numbers being offset that much.

great observation.

placement of the 4 matches with this Tinsley jersey #8

justinwc80
12-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I did get an email back from the Mariners clubhouse manager and he stated that Griffey ordered 30 of each jersey that year to give out to friends. He also said the jerseys he ordered were tagged with the Property of tags as well.