PDA

View Full Version : Legit Eric Davis bat or no?

EricTheRed44
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
So I just bought and M110 Davis bat on ebay. I didnt see it on the list Brian gave me, but still thought I'd take a shot hoping he left something off, plus the seller offered full refund if bat was found to be a fake basically.

Thoughts on the bat?

Somewhat worried it may not be legit, but only have 80 into it so thought it was worth a shot.

sox83cubs84
12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I am not a bat expert, but there are positive signs. There are no retail IDs engraved on the knob, and, if legit, the bat is from 1984-86...translating to Eric the Red's first three seasons (including, possibly, his rookie year).

Dave Miedema

Murph4Prez
12-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Nice bat.

I see Murph using a dark brown or black bat in some photos/cards. Wonder how difficult it would be to get one of those?

Dave, do you have any information on the black or dark brown Murph bats?

EricTheRed44
12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Dave,

I agree with your thoughts, the only thing, is that from what I've been told the R to the right of Louisville slugger (below his signature) was only done from 86-89? The bat records provided by Brian do not show an order for an M110 in 86, but I was hoping either it was left out somehow or maybe they did it prior to 86. Not knowing whether or not it was legit, I put a max bid of 70 on it and ended up winning it. I figured if it was somehow from his first few seasons, it'd be well worth the risk. The knob having 44 written on it and not having any retail markings is the reason I went for it, not sure if Barrel has his number on it or not, all of his bats that have writing on them have them on both ends.

Thanks for the comments guys,
Joe

Dewey2007
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM
For what it's worth, I used to have an uncracked Dale Murphy bat that he gave me personally in either 1982-83. When I sold my original collection of bats, Vince Malta came out to look at my collection and confirm the condition and labeling periods of the bats for the buyer.

When Malta compared my Murphy bat to the LVS shipping records he had, my model bat was not in the records. If I remember correctly, the bat was a non-contract block letter and Murphy was under contract during the labeling period. Anyhow, the bat was clearly a Murphy gamer and I know for a fact he handed it to me straight out of the bat rack at Candlestick Park when I was a kid. Given the huge number of bats LVS produces I'm sure there are a few anomalies that just do not show up in the shipping records and maybe your Davis bat falls into this category.

EricTheRed44
12-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I'm hoping thats the case. I like the darker bats (I have a gywnn finish/walker? I'm not sure of the difference), I have an I13 thats my favorite in my collection.

Murph4Prez
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
For what it's worth, I used to have an uncracked Dale Murphy bat that he gave me personally in either 1982-83. When I sold my original collection of bats, Vince Malta came out to look at my collection and confirm the condition and labeling periods of the bats for the buyer.

When Malta compared my Murphy bat to the LVS shipping records he had, my model bat was not in the records. If I remember correctly, the bat was a non-contract block letter and Murphy was under contract during the labeling period. Anyhow, the bat was clearly a Murphy gamer and I know for a fact he handed it to me straight out of the bat rack at Candlestick Park when I was a kid. Given the huge number of bats LVS produces I'm sure there are a few anomalies that just do not show up in the shipping records and maybe your Davis bat falls into this category.

But, could a bat that is clearly from a particular period (1986-89) be from two years earlier? Sorry to hijack your thread ETR, but I have a bat that has the (R) after Slugger on a Murph bat that the seller says was given to him by Murph in 1984.

The desire to have a Murph gamer is made tough when you have a tough time making 100% sure it's legit.

sox83cubs84
12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Dave,

I agree with your thoughts, the only thing, is that from what I've been told the R to the right of Louisville slugger (below his signature) was only done from 86-89? The bat records provided by Brian do not show an order for an M110 in 86, but I was hoping either it was left out somehow or maybe they did it prior to 86. Not knowing whether or not it was legit, I put a max bid of 70 on it and ended up winning it. I figured if it was somehow from his first few seasons, it'd be well worth the risk. The knob having 44 written on it and not having any retail markings is the reason I went for it, not sure if Barrel has his number on it or not, all of his bats that have writing on them have them on both ends.

Thanks for the comments guys,
Joe

Sorry, Joe...I idn't see the R symbol in my first look at the bat. I see it now, so your dating revision to 1986-89 is correct.

As far as Murphy bats go, I think I recall seeing brown versions from LS, but no recollection as to model numbers, vintages, etc.

Dave Miedema