PDA

View Full Version : J.G. Taylor Spink - 1947 Book on Judge Landis

xpress34
12-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I did a Sports Memorabilia Show a few weeks ago and while I did okay (enough to cover bills and Christmas), my best part of the weekend was a book I worked a deal on with one of my friends who had a table there too.

Judge Landis and 25 Years of Baseball (1947) by J.G. Taylor Spink

What made this such a great deal is the book is signed by J.G. Taylor Spink - the late editor of The Sporting News and the person for whom the J.G. Taylor Spink Award to honor a Baseball Writer or Writers "for meritorious contributions to baseball writing" which is presented at the Baseball Hall of Fame Weekend each year at Cooperstown.

Each recipient is presented with a certificate and is recognized in the "Scribes & Mikemen" exhibit in the Library of the National Baseball hall of Fame.

It is signed, "To my friend Maurie Cossman, with all good wishes. July 21 '47"

I did some research on Maurie Cossman and he is actually M.B. 'Maurie' Cossman, a former Sports Writer for the Flint Journal in Flint Michigan and a 1997 Inductee into the Greater Flint Area Sports Hall of Fame having been honored with a Special Service Award.

As far as I can tell, he is still alive and living in the Flint, MI area.

I just thought this was a really neat find of a 'HOF' autograph and the fact it was signed to a sports writer.

Pics attached:

suave1477
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Maybe you can contact the sports writer and let him know what you have. Maybe you can reconnect him with the book or at least maybe get some further history out of it