PDA

View Full Version : Here is a thought - history of MLB hologram login

jake33
12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Just thought of this and wondered what others thoughts were.

With the MLB hologram process, how would you feel if there was a "history" of who have logged in to check a database serial number and/or to have a history of items you-yourself have looked up?

I guess this would mean that MLB would change how to get to the serial number look up. To lookup a serial number, you would probably need to do it using a login and a user id for item number lookup.

What could you see as pros or cons for this?
I know I would like to see who logged in to check an item that I had, or offered for sale, or to check on who currently owns the items. No way would MLB allow personal information (like real names) to get out, but it could show by user id activity on your item's hologram.

I for sure think within the next 5 years, there are some changes that are going to happen to the hologram process and evolve. MLB is requesting more and more teams to authenticate more and more items each year. I think this is going to make the game used industry/hobby reach more mainsteam sports fans and from there, it will again have further change of some sort.

trsent
12-14-2012, 01:17 PM

With the MLB hologram process, how would you feel if there was a "history" of who have logged in to check a database serial number and/or to have a history of items you-yourself have looked up?

I guess this would mean that MLB would change how to get to the serial number look up. To lookup a serial number, you would probably need to do it using a login and a user id for item number lookup.

I know I would like to see who logged in to check an item that I had, or offered for sale, or to check on who currently owns the items. No way would MLB allow personal information (like real names) to get out, but it could show by user id activity on your item's hologram.

I for sure think within the next 5 years, there are some changes that are going to happen to the hologram process and evolve. MLB is requesting more and more teams to authenticate more and more items each year. I think this is going to make the game used industry/hobby reach more mainsteam sports fans and from there, it will again have further change of some sort.

So you want everyone who looks up a hologram to have to log into see it, and then they will post your name for viewing the record?

I don't see that happening, ever.

jppopma
12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Sounds like alot of work for MLB to do and I don't see what benefits there are to tracking all of that information.

rufusandherschel
12-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Before attempting/taking on what I see to be a huge 'challenge', I would like to see MLB make a greater effort at 'improving' (e.g., cleaning-up) the current process of authenticating items, specifically with respective to 'paying attention' to details. Way to often, in my opinion, there are too many errors. For example, in the past few months alone, when checking out an item in the database, (1) item in hand was a jersey yet the MLB certificate referred to a nameplate; (2) item in hand was a jersey and there was no certificate. #2 happened several times.

I don't know what a reasonable 'error rate' should be for the number of items the process handles, but based on my recent experience over a very short period of time, the error rate seemed to be more than reasonably acceptable, i.e., too excessive.

jake33
12-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Actually, MLB has all these records right now (in the form if IP addresses I was told). It would just be them setting up a login and mergin that document into the program that the public sees.

Just like you can see who bid on an auction, it would be similar.

Again, of coarse no personal information of others would be posted as I previously stated, but it could state which user id login into to view the hologram.

frikativ54
12-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Actually, MLB has all these records right now (in the form if IP addresses I was told). It would just be them setting up a login and mergin that document into the program that the public sees.

Just like you can see who bid on an auction, it would be similar.

Again, of coarse no personal information of others would be posted as I previously stated, but it could state which user id login into to view the hologram.

Can you help me understand how this information is useful to collectors? Thanks. :)

coxfan
12-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm sure I'm old-fashioned, as at 64 I'm possibly the oldest active member of our group. ( though I'm barely more than a rookie in collecting). But in this era of widespread hacking, spyware, etc.etc. I'm always uncomfortable with the thought that electronically-stored info of any kind be made more accessible to anyone, regardless of confidentiality protections. Would we want our phone calls asking about items to be entered into some more accessible database?

MLB authentication's a great boon and I hope it continues to evolve and expand. Someone asked about the current error rate of MLB authentication. I've studied the authentication of 3 or 4 MLB games from 2010 to 2012, mainly focusing on g-u balls. The rate of obvious clerical errors (eg giving the wrong inning) has been from about 1 in 60 to 1 in 100. Those errors are usually easily corrected by checking play-by-play. The rate of vaguely-described entries is somthing else, and probably a little more common. Sometimes these can be clarified, but sometimes not.

I hope MLB authentication will read these forums, and use the info and feedback here to continue to evolve and improve.