PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Sports Story Books

joelsabi
12-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Im trying to get some vacation reading material ready and enjoy reading sports related stories so I thought I would ask for suggestions here. Thanks in advance. Hoping its something that I can be easily picked up at a local Barnes and Nobles and not shipped to me but welcome any recommendation.

Im bringing Carlisle vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle on the trip but need some backup material as well. Thanks in advance

frikativ54
12-18-2012, 02:52 AM
Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero

ironmanfan
12-18-2012, 08:02 AM
I was just at a B&N the other day and noted they had the Mickey Mantle bio entitled "The Last Boy" on their mark down shelf (Jane Leavy author)......I read the book when it first came out and enjoyed it very much.

Happy reading!

DJaeger22
12-18-2012, 08:13 AM
A Good Walk Spoiled, great book about the ups and downs of being a professional golfer... it was recommended to me and I instantly loved it.

Dirk Hayhurst has a few good books about living the Minor League life.

suave1477
12-18-2012, 08:50 AM
My absolute favorite baseball book

Mickey Mantle biography - my favorite summer 1956

To me this was a well written and thought out book as not only does it of course talk about Mickey but he illustrates things going on during this time period where it beings you back and makes you feel like your right there with him during those days.

coxfan
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Bobby Richardson's new book "Impact Player" ( I think that's the title) includes candid viewpoints about teammates including Casey Stengel, and Richardson's friend Mickey Mantle. It also includes stuff like why Richardson's glad he lost his Congressional race, after being asked to run by a US President. Richardson's still the only World Series MVP from a losing team.

emann
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I've enjoyed all the books by Jeff Pearlman if you're looking for more contemporary athletes (and focused on the controversial ones: Bonds, Clemens, '86 Mets, Cowboys, etc)...

The "Best American Sports Writing" series is also great and broken up as magazine-length short stories, perfect for travel reading...

jetersbatboy
12-18-2012, 01:39 PM
I like "The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing, and Bench-Clearing Brawls: The Unwritten Rules of America's Pastime" by Jason Turbow. It's a fun ready, with a lot of interesting story's. Also gives you a little more insight on the unwritten rules of baseball.

MSpecht
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
If you've ever played any tabletop baseball games --- APBA, Strat-o-matic, etc --- THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL by Phillip Roth is a must

http://www.amazon.com/Great-American-Novel-Philip-Roth/dp/0679749063/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355859053&sr=8-1&keywords=great+american+novel+roth

Also just read a very very good story of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves called BUSHVILLE WINS --- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250006074/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I didn't realize before this book that in his early years Eddie Mathews was a total Lenny Dykstra / Kevin Mitchell type bad ass...

Both books should be available at Barnes and Nobel... Based on the books you are already taking, is this like a six-month vacation to the Bahamas LOL ?

Mike

xpress34
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Ruling over Giants, Monarchs and Stars : The story of Bob Motley - the last surviving Negro League Umpire. By Bob Motley and his son.

An amazing read that took me through all the emotions as he discussed trying to be a ballplayer in the Negro Leagues and trying to become an Umpire in the MLB.

Filled with history on the Negro Leagues and MLB that I have never seen offered anywhere else.

Smitty