PDA

View Full Version : Sports jokes and humor

sox83cubs84
12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Things seem to get more depressing for many of us every day. This thread is designed for Forum members to share jokes and other forms of humor with a sports theme, and hopefully elicit a few LMAOs and +1s.

First off (I believe this originated with Jay Leno):

When Mitt Romney was talking about the "47%", it had nothing to do with voters or people collecting checks from the government. Instead, he was commenting on Dwight Howard's free throw percentage.:)

Dave Miedema

Jags Fan Dan
12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
I always enjoyed Letterman's take on his son's tee ball games. It was something along the lines of "One inning of tee ball is maybe the most exciting four hours in sports."

xpress34
12-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Former player and part time spy for the US Government Moe Berg was very well educated and his education was often used against him in jokes.

Moe Berg - he can speak 7 languages fluently, but he can't hit in any of them!

otismalibu
12-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Should probably just merge the "Sanchez $20K Jersey" thread with this one.

coxfan
12-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Here's a true story from ESPN's early days, though I don't recall the player or teams. A RF caught a pop fly near the stands with one out and a runner on first. Thinking it was the third out, he politely gave the ball to a boy, aged about four, in his father's lap in the front row.

As he trotted away, he saw the runner running wild around the bases. So he went back to the little boy, politely asked for and received the ball, and threw it back to the infield. When the umpires stopped laughing, they ruled it fan interference! Hopefully the little guy got his ball back.

jppopma
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Detroit Lions....'nuff said!

flota89
12-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Here's a true story from ESPN's early days, though I don't recall the player or teams. A RF caught a pop fly near the stands with one out and a runner on first. Thinking it was the third out, he politely gave the ball to a boy, aged about four, in his father's lap in the front row.

As he trotted away, he saw the runner running wild around the bases. So he went back to the little boy, politely asked for and received the ball, and threw it back to the infield. When the umpires stopped laughing, they ruled it fan interference! Hopefully the little guy got his ball back.
I think that might have been Larry Walker. He did it once that I can remember in the 90s.

suave1477
12-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Well this calls for the easiest insertion from the king of baseball comedy Bob Uecker.

"Anybody with ability can play in the big leagues. To last as long as I did with the skills I had, with the numbers I produced, was a triumph of the human spirit."

"I didn't get a lot of awards as a player. But they did have a Bob Uecker Day Off for me once in Philly."

"I hit a grand slam off Ron Herbel (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=herbero01) and when his manager Herman Franks (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=frankhe01) came out to get him, he was bringing Herbel's suitcase."

"I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture."

"In 1962 I was named Minor League Player of the Year. It was my second season in the bigs."

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."

"One time, I got pulled over at four a.m. I was fined seventy-five dollars for being intoxicated and four-hundred for being with the Phillies."

"People don't know this but I helped the Cardinals win the pennant. I came down with hepatitis. The trainer injected me with it."

"The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up."

"They said I was such a great prospect that they were sending me to a winter league to sharpen up. When I stepped off the plane, I was in Greenland."

sox83cubs84
12-19-2012, 07:54 PM
(Courtesy of ESPN's Freddy Coleman):

What does JETS stand for?

Just End The Season!:D

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
12-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure where I heard this first, but I'm pretty certain it was from a White Sox fan:

What does CUBS stand for?

Completely Useless By September.:p

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
From Jay Leno:

How bad was Notre Dame's loss in the BCS Championship Game?

The Pope told ND officials that they should become a Lutheran school.:o :o :o

Dave miedema

sox83cubs84
01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Bert and I agree on something:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gp/52768138.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=8wKbtixIjqehnvai9LwDCsNOS%2fKyBt6A3cbs6oNiVy4%3d (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/pitcher-bert-blyleven-of-the-cleveland-indians-in-the-news-photo/52768138)

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
01-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Bert and I agree on something:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/52768138-pitcher-bert-blyleven-of-the-cleveland-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=8wKbtixIjqehnvai9LwDCkec77vDfjTOLXaNzdd8wOzUd7du 9Fp4KicTgsDZ6mEb5LfgSPR8oePYyoG9HVGAfA%3d%3d

Dave Miedema

LMAO! :D

coxfan
01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
When the Washington Redskins around the early 1960's went 1-12-1, a writer said: " They overwhelmed one opponent, underwhelmed twelve, and whelmed one."

sox83cubs84
02-09-2013, 07:28 PM
From Jay Leno:
More bad news for A-Rod. It looks like another link has been established between him and a Miami doctor who supplies athletes with steroids and PEDs. You know what this means? A-Rod is now the favorite to win the next Tour De France!

Dave Miedema

Mark17
02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
I was a big Raiders fan back in the 1970's (it's been painful lately) and a lot of hilarious stories came out of that bunch. My favorite is Marv Hubbard, drunk of course, attempting to dive off the bar into a shot glass...

sox83cubs84
07-05-2014, 01:21 PM
After the NBA Finals, Lebron gave Kobe a call on hi smartphone. Kobe wasn;t around, so he left a message. After a few days, Kobe still hadn't returned the call.

Frustrated, Lebron texted Kobe and wanted to know why Kobe wasn't responding. Kobe's reply:

"I only answer at three rings".:p

Dave Miedema