PDA

View Full Version : Safe way to remove "personalized"...

marino13
12-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Got a couple football signed and personalized to me personally. This WAS how I collect autograph back in the days - personalized everything because I thought it was cool. :D

I want to remove my info before I give it away as a xmas gift. Is there a safe way to do it?

One is with silver marker while the other is with black sharpie.

Thanks for the help!

Preston
12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
I know goo-gone is great for removing autographs, as is WD-40. But it completely depends on what type of football it is too.

marino13
12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I know goo-gone is great for removing autographs, as is WD-40. But it completely depends on what type of football it is too.

The generic Wilson football.

I am going to test out your suggestion with the "To" portion and see how it goes.

gaytorhater703
12-19-2012, 09:55 AM
if it were me i would mark a different football and try out your options before you take a flying leap on your item that has value to you then use what works best

rufusandherschel
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Bad idea! That is, to attempt to remove anything written from the ball after the fact.

marino13
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Bad idea! That is, to attempt to remove anything written from the ball after the fact.

It would be the WORST idea if I just hand it over like a hand-me-down kind of gift - with my personalized writing on it.

I already spent way over my budget and not looking to spend any more. And the kid been talking about my "personalized" football as soon as he saw it. I dont want the parents to think that I am cheap. :D But on the other hand, a gift is a gift right? Even it is a hand me down?

NEFAN
12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
I've tried Goo Gone and WD40 and they both stain the leather. That was on Silver ink. Never tried on a Sharpie black sig.

rufusandherschel
12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
It would be the WORST idea if I just hand it over like a hand-me-down kind of gift - with my personalized writing on it.

I already spent way over my budget and not looking to spend any more. And the kid been talking about my "personalized" football as soon as he saw it. I dont want the parents to think that I am cheap. :D But on the other hand, a gift is a gift right? Even it is a hand me down?

Just to be clear, I stated what I did/said for the reason just posted by NEFAN.

DJaeger22
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
I've heard of people using just plain old erasers to take off personalized messages on posters, not sure if it would work on a football but its worth a shot since it's not messy.

3arod13
12-19-2012, 03:00 PM
This stuff works great, and won't do any damage.

300X30
12-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Just my two cents - if the person you are giving the ball to, has seen yours and loves it, why not just be straight forward and say - I know what this means to you and I want you to have it. It may mean even more to them, because it came from your personal collection. If you screw it up trying to take off the personalization, you both lose. I am also sure the person will notice that yours is missing- how will you explain that?? :confused:

alexbartacustoms
12-19-2012, 03:34 PM
I used regular old paint thinner to remove a silver paint pen signature of Chris Perry from a Wilson NFL football.

I used a Q-tip, and just dabbed on the ink, and it lifted off pretty well.

It does change to color of the leather slightly. I wiped down the rest of the panel with paint thinner, and now you can't even tell it was there.

After I did that, I thought about adding leather conditioner to the cleaned area to correct the color change. That might help match the faded cleaned area to the rest of the ball.

Good Luck,
Alex