PDA

View Full Version : Ebay item 261141850027: Supersonics Jersey with questionable use

randalsb
12-18-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261141850027 has a Joe Hassett Supersonics for auction. I was really interested at first, but a little more research curbed my enthusiasm. Correct me if I am wrong (I may be) but I thought Sand Knit made the Supersonics jerseys for 1978-79. All of the auction listings I find indicate this. It was my impression that Rawlings made the 1979-80 jerseys, a year when Hassett played for the Pacers. In addition, the 1979-80 jerseys were usually marked by the equipment manager with the uniform number on the Rawlings tag. The seller, who seems reputable, told me it was obtained by his father from Hassett when he was on the Pacers. Maybe it was a 79-80 preseason jersey made before Hassett was released by the Sonics.
Any thoughts ?

both-teams-played-hard
12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
I think that you did the appropriate research. Was it worn in a pre-season or regular season game? Was it recycled from a previous season? Who knows? Nice jersey. Of course, collectors are a little giddy about Sonics stuff. $1.200. Damn! The world has turned and left me here.

jppopma
12-21-2012, 10:30 PM
The odd thing that I have noticed with some of these retro jerseys is that there are collectors that are willing to pay higher prices for authentics than many of the gamers would run. Tough to worry about bidding on suspect items when there are others who will bid and have no care about the finer details.