PDA

View Full Version : Different Reputations?

jppopma
12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't want to name names from a post in another section (plus don't want to add to the fuel of another fight), but there is a thread that has got me thinking about reputations.

To me reputation is who you are as a person as a whole, not just a feedback or a screen name that can be changed. It appears that other members seem to take the notion that if they had some bad dealing outside of this forum that they should not be brought up or held against them.

While this forum is a great resource and community, the collector to collector classified are not the end all of transactions. What someone does on Ebay, Craigslist, or in person all makes them the person you are; and in turn affect their reputation. Many sellers and companies have brought up on here are not even members. The warnings and shared experiences of these sellers are invaluable to other collectors.

So, my question...is my perception of reputation skewed or does reputation really encompass the person as a whole?

jake33
12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
If it is fact based, you should consider all that information.

I am a young 32, but I interviewed a 22-year old kid for job a couple years ago for a sales job.

The kid said, "I am often not on time. Does that matter?" My response was, "In sales and in marriage, everything matters. If you met a potential lady to date who was charismatic, spoke well, great physical appearance, good attitude, connected with, and at the end you found out that she lived in the middle of Antarica. Would it matter? Keep in mind everything matters."

xpress34
12-21-2012, 12:54 PM
If I have said it once, I have said it a hundred times - many times on these boards:

"In this hobby, your reputation is ALL that you have and it is everything."

One it gets skewered - no matter where - it will come back to haunt you. It doesn't matter how nice your items are or how good you or your stuff is 'most of the time'.

If you would be a $h!theel once, you'll be one again and it makes everything you've done before questionable.

Be a stand-up guy, do the right thing and don't act like an @$$ if a mistake happens - be a man, own up to it and fix it right the 1st time.

Just my .02

Smitty

frikativ54
12-21-2012, 07:54 PM
To me reputation is who you are as a person as a whole, not just a feedback or a screen name that can be changed. It appears that other members seem to take the notion that if they had some bad dealing outside of this forum that they should not be brought up or held against them.

So, my question...is my perception of reputation skewed or does reputation really encompass the person as a whole?

For me, reputation can be helpful in judging whom to deal with, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. There are plenty of people who don't have the best of reputations, but who are still upstanding individuals. It is basically the story that others create out about you, and that story might be inaccurate.

Individuals - especially those with a lot of prestige and influence - can and do start rumors and give someone a reputation that he or she does not deserve. In the hobby and in the world at large, we are often too quick to label people, putting them in boxes that they can never move out of.

suave1477
12-21-2012, 08:12 PM
For me, reputation can be helpful in judging whom to deal with, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. There are plenty of people who don't have the best of reputations, but who are still upstanding individuals. It is basically the story that others create out about you, and that story might be inaccurate.

Individuals - especially those with a lot of prestige and influence - can and do start rumors and give someone a reputation that he or she does not deserve. In the hobby and in the world at large, we are often too quick to label people, putting them in boxes that they can never move out of.

Frik that was well said!!:)

trsent
12-22-2012, 02:12 AM
If you can't handle selling on one site, what makes people think you can handle selling on this forum? It isn't hard. You collect money, you ship, end of story.

xpress34
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Individuals - especially those with a lot of prestige and influence - can and do start rumors and give someone a reputation that he or she does not deserve.

AKA - Character Assassination. Lawyers do it all the time to discredit witnesses in cases.