PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson??

Tim Vader
12-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Howdy!

I am a new guy here. I was doing a google search for a game used Bo Jackson bat and it brought me here. I am interested in obtaining an actual game used piece used by Bo (depending on price) for my freshly started collection. What would a used bat, or jersey cost in todays market? I did see 2 bats on ebay that were over $700 each, so I am assuming thats too much since they have not sold.

Thanks guys!

esquiresports
12-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the boards. That price may be a little high for a Bo Jackson bat, but strikes me as reasonable if there is good provenance. You just have to be very careful with authenticity, which is what scares people on eBay. Rightly or not, people tend to be much more careful making purchases from a major auction house (Heritage, SCP, Robert Edward, Grey Flannel, Legendary).

A game used jersey can run anywhere from $1000 to $4000+ (e.g., 1986 road jersey and 1988 Royals road sold by Heritage last year). Be very careful with 1989-1990 "game worn" Bo Jackson jerseys. Scoreboard obtained a significant number of authentic jerseys these two years that Bo never wore. Therefore, jerseys from these years tend to be the ones commanding "only" $1000 or so because of the provenance issues.

I believe Bo's 1986 and 1987 jerseys have been accounted for, so if you see someone offering a jersey from that year, ask them where they obtained it and try to trace it back to a major auction house. Several sit in the hands of just a few collectors who have no intention of selling. You can PM me with any questions.

rufusandherschel
12-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the boards. That price may be a little high for a Bo Jackson bat, but strikes me as reasonable if there is good provenance. You just have to be very careful with authenticity, which is what scares people on eBay. Rightly or not, people tend to be much more careful making purchases from a major auction house (Heritage, SCP, Robert Edward, Grey Flannel, Legendary).

A game used jersey can run anywhere from $1000 to $4000+ (e.g., 1986 road jersey and 1988 Royals road sold by Heritage last year). Be very careful with 1989-1990 "game worn" Bo Jackson jerseys. Scoreboard obtained a significant number of authentic jerseys these two years that Bo never wore. Therefore, jerseys from these years tend to be the ones commanding "only" $1000 or so because of the provenance issues.

I believe Bo's 1986 and 1987 jerseys have been accounted for, so if you see someone offering a jersey from that year, ask them where they obtained it and try to trace it back to a major auction house. Several sit in the hands of just a few collectors who have no intention of selling. You can PM me with any questions.

Found your comment about the 1986 & 1987 Bo Jackson jerseys interesting. Are both the home and road jerseys in the hands of private collector(s), or just the homes(?) and/or road(s)? What do you know about Jackson's 1988 jerseys, home and roads? Your comment re. the 1989-1990 Scoreboard jerseys refers to the home whites only, correct? I don't recall there being any powder blue roads, or were there? Thanks

esquiresports
12-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I am pretty new to the game used arena and definitely not an expert like many of the veterans on here, so I don't mean to sound like I know it all. Definitely far from it. But I did undertake a ton of Bo Jackson jersey research recently, scouring photo archives and the like.

All of the Bo Jackson Scoreboard jerseys I have seen are indeed home white jerseys.

I know of two reported home white 1986 Bo Jackson jerseys in private hands. One is held by a forum member. It's a very interesting jersey because it does not the underlining script beneath the "Ro" in "Royals." I believe it is legitimate.

Two road blues have been auctioned off publicly, so it should be easy to trace any road jersey made available back to one of these two auctions. The auction links are still live. If we assume Bo had just two home and two road, which is reasonable, particularly because he only played the last month of the season, it's pretty easy to keep track of them. (This assumes those two jerseys are legitimate. I don't know much about them except that Charlie Sheen owned one).

On the 1987, the same forum member owns a 1987 home. A huge Bo Jackson fan, David Painter, owns one 1987 home and one (or two) 1987 road jerseys. Really nice guy. So that accounts for three or four jerseys. In 1987, the jerseys had "B. Jackson" on the back. Beginning in June, a patch was added to the right sleeve.

Again, there's no guarantee what is out there now as game used is the real deal. I just want to get it out there so that if something additional from these two years pops up, it gets a very close inspection.

Hope this is helpful info.

rufusandherschel
12-27-2012, 06:16 PM
I am pretty new to the game used arena and definitely not an expert like many of the veterans on here, so I don't mean to sound like I know it all. Definitely far from it. But I did undertake a ton of Bo Jackson jersey research recently, scouring photo archives and the like.

All of the Bo Jackson Scoreboard jerseys I have seen are indeed home white jerseys.

I know of two reported home white 1986 Bo Jackson jerseys in private hands. One is held by a forum member. It's a very interesting jersey because it does not the underlining script beneath the "Ro" in "Royals." I believe it is legitimate.

Two road blues have been auctioned off publicly, so it should be easy to trace any road jersey made available back to one of these two auctions. The auction links are still live. If we assume Bo had just two home and two road, which is reasonable, particularly because he only played the last month of the season, it's pretty easy to keep track of them. (This assumes those two jerseys are legitimate. I don't know much about them except that Charlie Sheen owned one).

On the 1987, the same forum member owns a 1987 home. A huge Bo Jackson fan, David Painter, owns one 1987 home and one (or two) 1987 road jerseys. Really nice guy. So that accounts for three or four jerseys. In 1987, the jerseys had "B. Jackson" on the back. Beginning in June, a patch was added to the right sleeve.

Again, there's no guarantee what is out there now as game used is the real deal. I just want to get it out there so that if something additional from these two years pops up, it gets a very close inspection.

Hope this is helpful info.

Interesting info. Thank you. Do you have any/similar information for 1988 Bo Jackson Royals jerseys?

esquiresports
12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't. I do know that one was auctioned off on Heritage last year for $4,500. I really wanted it, but couldn't stomach that kind of money with no supporting documentation behind it (not unusual, but by this time Bo was a household name and it seems like there could therefore be more authentic jerseys floating around that were not game used). I was also I little uneasy about this being the second 1988 road Set 1 having been auctioned. The first had the "T" (for tapered) stitched on it. Link to that Lelands auction also below.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotIdNo=275003

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/11236/December-2002/Sports/Baseball-Jerseys/Lot1184~1988-Bo-Jackson-Autographed-Game-Worn-Jersey

rufusandherschel
12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
I don't. I do know that one was auctioned off on Heritage last year for $4,500. I really wanted it, but couldn't stomach that kind of money with no supporting documentation behind it (not unusual, but by this time Bo was a household name and it seems like there could therefore be more authentic jerseys floating around that were not game used). I was also I little uneasy about this being the second 1988 road Set 1 having been auctioned. The first had the "T" (for tapered) stitched on it. Link to that Lelands auction also below.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7051&lotIdNo=275003

http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/11236/December-2002/Sports/Baseball-Jerseys/Lot1184~1988-Bo-Jackson-Autographed-Game-Worn-Jersey

Thanks. Good info.

Tim Vader
12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
I found a seller who has a game issued (not worn) white royals jersey size 48 that says set 2 1989 and is signed by Bo Jackson. He also has a black Raiders "scoreboard" jersey signed by Bo. I am working with him on the price, can anyone give me an idea of what these are worth?

The Royals jersey was purchased in 1989 for over $600 from a very reputable seller as issued, and not used.

This same seller has a beautiful game used bat that I am working with him on, but since I am not made of money, I have to buy these piece at a time. I'd rather keep his name private as of now, but he seems to be about as legit of a collector as I have ever met.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/600834FD-16A8-4777-8B93-21AC588AAC34-700-000000EF3EDE6F2D-1.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/63687BDE-62C5-4942-A7B1-DBC8170111CA-700-000000EF3F772205.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/C21D419C-8E62-451E-9C1F-5A89808EC41D-700-000000EF400C2EBF-1.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/690A24F3-F58C-4935-A710-E38D9940E63D-700-000000EF41E81022-1.jpg

What do you guys think?

rufusandherschel
12-28-2012, 09:29 AM
I found a seller who has a game issued (not worn) white royals jersey size 48 that says set 2 1989 and is signed by Bo Jackson. He also has a black Raiders "scoreboard" jersey signed by Bo. I am working with him on the price, can anyone give me an idea of what these are worth?

The Royals jersey was purchased in 1989 for over $600 from a very reputable seller as issued, and not used.

This same seller has a beautiful game used bat that I am working with him on, but since I am not made of money, I have to buy these piece at a time. I'd rather keep his name private as of now, but he seems to be about as legit of a collector as I have ever met.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/600834FD-16A8-4777-8B93-21AC588AAC34-700-000000EF3EDE6F2D-1.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/63687BDE-62C5-4942-A7B1-DBC8170111CA-700-000000EF3F772205.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/C21D419C-8E62-451E-9C1F-5A89808EC41D-700-000000EF400C2EBF-1.jpghttp://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r2/joker_fish/690A24F3-F58C-4935-A710-E38D9940E63D-700-000000EF41E81022-1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Re. the Jackson Royals home white jersey, I see a couple of 'red flags'. First, the Rawlings mfg tag appears to be sewn on crooked (to the bottom hem), or is that a photographic artifact. I've never seen anything like that. Second, the #16 on the front of the jersey is (appears to be) positioned incorrectly. It is situated too close to the edge of the jersey. Could this be one of those 'Scoreboard' jerseys previously mentioned? It is difficult to believe that that is/was even a 'game issued' jersey. Therefore, what's it worth? Clearly, nowhere near $600 IMO.

There are a number of Royals experts on the Forum, e.g., Campwest. I'd suggest getting their opinions. Good luck

Tim Vader
12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
I spoke with the seller today and he said he did not buy the KC jersey from score board, and he is the original owner of it since its purchase in 1989.

I have no doubts that the seller knows what he is talking about, and I know he is not trying to get over on me, I just have no reference to what the jersey is worth.

Even the score board ones are considered top end replicas right? What would one be worth in todays market? Surely its got to be more than a cheap knock off throw back with a signature on it, right? Is their name so bad in the hobby that its considered a taboo to even own one? I read up on them, and they did some rotten stuff for sure.

I looked at all of the jerseys I could find on ebay (which isnt saying much) and all of them had that tag stitched in like this one. IT runs straight across when its "worn" not crooked like it seems it would be based on the pic I provided.

I appreciate everyones input so far, you guys have mad a lot of good points and references to help a newb like me out :)

Tim Vader
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Still looking for a game used bat, broken or not!