PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/opinions on King Felix and Mauer jerseys

jwal23
12-31-2012, 04:01 AM
So I'm still trying to pick up on pieces of knowledge about all kinds of things when it comes to game used jerseys and came across a couple that are listed on ebay that say they are both game worn and I was wondering if anyone out there could point out any positives or flaws in either of these....are they actually game worn? legit?... just trying to learn styles and attributes of different teams, different years, etc...

King Felix

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Seattle-Mariners-FELIX-HERNANDEZ-Game-Used-Worn-Baseball-Jersey-/290829146217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6c49869

Joe Mauer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271130526010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

harleighb
12-31-2012, 04:44 PM
The description of the Mauer jersey is accurate. 90+% of all legitimate Twins jerseys have MLB holograms stating they are "Team Issued" because they come out of the players' lockers at the end of the season. Since the authenticator does not collect them right after a game they are identified as issued as opposed to being "Game Worn". This season the team did collect a few jerseys after a game (and tagged them as Game Worn) so there was more of a mix than in prior years but the vast majority were tagged as issued (including many that showed a ton of use). To determine if a jersey tagged as "issued" is game used, you need to look for evidence of use or find a photomatch (or both). In my experience, most of the jerseys the Twins make available show some evidence of use but you need to make that determination with each jersey you purchase.

harleighb
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
One thing I forgot to mention -- when Mauer showed up for Spring Training in 2012 the team had prepared some size 52 jerseys for him. I was told that he immediately requested that they order size 50 jerseys (which is the size he has worn since he came into the league) and that he did not wear the size 52 jerseys at all. The Twins sold the jerseys as Game Issued.

jwal23
01-01-2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the info it def helps alot!

...Anybody else have any additional advice on Mauer jerseys in general and also what do yall think about the King Felix jersey?...have never really studied Mariners jerseys much either

MarinersFan34
01-02-2013, 02:27 PM
In my opinion the Felix is horribly bad, I hope nobody here is seriously considering bidding/buying it.

Wrong size
No customization
NOB is double stitched
I have never seen tags with wear like that on an M's jersey, they look like they were rubbed against something rather than washed/worn.I'm not disputing that the jersey wasn't at least a team issued jersey to begin with but there are too many issues in my mind for it to be even issued to Felix.

I think this jersey was on eBay previously without ANY of the wear on the tags. This was BEFORE the current owner bought it, I am NOT in any way saying the current owner added wear to it.

Personally, I would look for one that is MLB authenticated. They cost more, but you know you're getting one that was at the very least team issued to him.

jwal23
01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the help/info!

spartakid
01-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Jeremy, just for my own curiosity, what do you mean by the NOB is double stitched?

MarinersFan34
01-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Take a look at the picture of the front of the jersey and at the collar, you can see the NOB sewn in. The first pic is the eBay jersey, the second one is from a legit gamer.

spartakid
01-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Ah I see, thanks for the info, I've never noticed that before.