PDA

View Full Version : Lou Lampson - the Homer Simpson of Authenticators

kingjammy24
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
i recently became aware that it's possible to reference lampson loas on his website at http://www.100percentauthentic.com/CertList.asp

i spent some time perusing the certs and it's been a non-stop source of amusement. the first thing that struck me were the number of certs issued. there are 10 per page and 409 pages for a total of 4090 certs. the earliest year shown is 2003. since 2003, he's issued at least 4090 certs. that's approx. 1363 certs/year or 113 certs a month. given that the output isn't really consistent every month, you have to figure that some months he's issuing around 300+ certs.

while i've barely scratched the surface, 2 loas stood out. my comments in bold:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

DUANE WARD 1993 TORONTO BLUE JAYS HOME JERSEY

6/29/2005

This representation is a 1993 Toronto Blue Jays home jersey worn by relief pitcher Duane Ward during the Jays’ World Series Championship year when Ward made the National League All-Star team. [Given that Ward played for the Jays in 1993, I'd love to know how he made the National League All-Star team. Lou knows his baseball!] The jersey body is a white heavy knit with light blue/white/royal blue sleeve striping. It sports the uniquely fonted team nickname and numerals, which are correct in all features, as are the NOB and front logo. Oddly, the 1979-1985 [should read 1978-1985] Wilson plastic label resides in the collar of this 1993 jersey. [Wilson collar tagging always differed from tail tagging. nothing odd about any of it. you can't use dates that apply to collar tags to body tags] It matches other exemplars so there is no worry about authenticity. One plausible explanation is the lack of collar space for the large Wilson prestige label; another is the fact that the jersey body could have been “stock” from the late ‘80’s [the Jays first started using this specific style of jersey in 1990] …in all probability a convergence of both factors supports the oddity [sweet Mary and Joseph, it's frightening to watch the hamster in Lou's mind try to figure out "oddities". this jersey was tagged in the collar by Wilson using that style of tag because that was how Wilson tagged every single Jays game jersey in the early-mid 90s (except 1990)] A “93” swatch label is zigzag affixed to the neckline beneath the label as was apropos. An additional feature is the presence of the 1993 All-Star patch sewn onto the left sleeve. The presence of the autograph could mean that the jersey was used in the ’93 All-Star game and signed by Ward, because MLBB did auction off a set from the game. [hmm. the autograph might mean the jersey was used in the '93 All Star Game huh? Perhaps the huge 1993 All-Star Game patch on the left sleeve might also provide some clues?] Overall, it has nice wear, particularly along the collar path and the button path edges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
perhaps one of the most comical mcgwire jerseys i've ever seen: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=22278 was "authenticated" by lou and apparently sold for over $1400. the name on back should be two-color - green with gold outline.

good to see that ami continues to back a winner.

rudy.

kingjammy24
10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
i have a new favorite lampson loa:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Circa 2001 Roberto Alomar Game Worn Spikes.

5/17/2004

The future Hall of Fame second baseman put fine wear into this pair of Nike spikes, each signed in perfect silver sharpie on the toe. No size tagging evident, but we'd estimate them at a size eleven.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4279/alomarpu9.jpg

while literally taking a close-up photo of the size tag on the cleats, lampson writes that "no size tagging is evident". i love it.

rudy.

sammy
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
In viewing the current Vintage Authentics catalog, I noticed a lot of the items were authenticated by Lampson.

That was enough for me.

I closed the catalog and tossed it in the trash.

ironmanfan
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Doh !!

ahuff
10-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Kudos. I'm glad to hear others are doing the same with their auction catalogues. I too have tossed any and all auction catalogues where an item of interest has been authenticated by Lou.

I have purchased a couple of items, in the past, that came with his LOA. I don't think highly of them. First, I purchased a batting practice jersey one time, that when it arrived was small enough to fit my 6 year old son, and was simply a t-shirt.

Another jersey purchase was under his wonderful new number grading system. It indicated that there was wear on the jersey. When my purchase arrived, I couldn't find an ounce of wear. That was the last straw.

I've never found auction photos to be real good indicators of wear. So I was hoping his new system would be helpful in that regards, at least. I found it to be completely worthless. So even if I do all the leg work on making sure tagging is correct, player size matches, etc. I still have to rely on someone else's opinion on wear. All I can say, is I will NEVER rely on his opinion again. Maybe if we, as consumers, refuse to participate in auctions with his LOA auction houses will begin to take note!!!

kingjammy24
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
1999 Javy Lopez Signed Game Used Catchers Gear 12945 2/9/2005

"Many .....[snip].. Javier Lopez fans take note. If you want his game worn items, start bidding. You may never get a chance like this again."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

what kind of loa tells people to "start bidding" ??

rudy.

allstarsplus
10-31-2006, 06:55 PM
In viewing the current Vintage Authentics catalog, I noticed a lot of the items were authenticated by Lampson.

That was enough for me.

I closed the catalog and tossed it in the trash. Agreed!!!! I did the same!

staindsox
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I agree with Sammy and Allstarsplus. I have had a problem with a Lampson LOA and would never buy anything associated with him again. As a result, I threw away my Vintage Authentics catalog yesterday. Why would any auction house use that clown to stand behind their stuff when there are so many authenticators out there who are more reputable? Maybe he comes cheap...Donuts and Duff, D'oh!!!

sylbry
10-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Check out the LOA on the last page, #8006. He authenticated a Scoreboard Gregg Jefferies jersey.

stkmtimo
10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Wow, this stuff is outrageous. Remind me why Lou Lampson is still "authenticating".

Tim

Eric
10-31-2006, 11:40 PM
Mr Lampson wrote a letter for this helmet saying it was wide receiver Anthony Miller's helmet. Never seen a single photo of Miller using a helmet with the middle lineman's bar.
This was auctioned on American Memorabilia. It's no longer in their closed auctions database.
Eric
http://www.100percentauthentic.com/assets/itemimages/8208_dt.jpg

Here's the description
Late 80s Anthony Miller Game-used Chargers Helmet
8/31/2004

http://www.100percentauthentic.com/assets/itemimages/8208_th.jpg (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/CertList.asp?SearchStr=miller#) Five-time Pro-bowler Anthony Miller put a lot of miles on this Chargers helmet during the late 1980s. No matter what team he was on, Miller always seemed to have a knack for pulling in long touchdown receptions nearly every game. Heavy use is exhibited on this midnight-blue helmet with huge lightning bolt decals. Number "83" decals are divided by the center stripe. Interior shell is affixed with original padding. Chinstrap is attached.

both-teams-played-hard
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
You guys are pathetic. Ya'll gossip like a bunch of old ladies in a sewing circle. Do any of you guys have jobs? GET A LIFE!

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3105/thelampsonspg1.jpg

staindsox
11-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Gossip or not, it's sad hearing all these stories about the same guy. My thinking is that Lou should get another job.

Eric
11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
You guys are pathetic. Ya'll gossip like a bunch of old ladies in a sewing circle. Do any of you guys have jobs? GET A LIFE!

Please, call us by the name we prefer- "Wash women"

By the way, I went to my Halloween party last night as Col. James A Rast. It played huge.

Eric

BaseballGM
11-06-2006, 07:44 PM
i have a new favorite lampson loa:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Circa 2001 Roberto Alomar Game Worn Spikes.

5/17/2004

The future Hall of Fame second baseman put fine wear into this pair of Nike spikes, each signed in perfect silver sharpie on the toe. No size tagging evident, but we'd estimate them at a size eleven.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4279/alomarpu9.jpg

while literally taking a close-up photo of the size tag on the cleats, lampson writes that "no size tagging is evident". i love it.

rudy.

After this LOA was discussed at great length here on the GU forum, a revised LOA was issued. -Kevin