PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Strip Tag Question

wsohlcano
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey Jersey Experts. I have a quick question,

How many sets would a player get in a season, I have a mattingly 87 Jersey with a strip tag that reads Mattingly 87 1. While i was doing some research I also found another jersey with the same tagging on the collar but different on the tail. Would the number 1 just mean a "set" and there could be multiple jersey's in that set?

I have also seen an older post from a couple years ago with a Mattingly 87 2.

Just wondering as this is my first game used jersey. As much info that I can find out about it would be great.

Here is my Strip Tag & Tail Wilson Tag.

Any expert opinions would be great. Sorry if i'm being a pain but this site seems to have the best insight & feedback.

Strip Tag
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd477/wsohl/mattinglycollar_zps087eb02b.jpg

Wilson Tail Tag
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd477/wsohl/mattinglyjersey_zps1030af3c.jpg

sox83cubs84
01-02-2013, 06:27 PM
The collar tag looks good, but by 1987, the Wilson tail tag was nearly always the larger-sized Prestige tag, named as such as it refers to the uniform being made for Prestige Teams.

I looked at this one when you first posted it, and, short of having it in hand to examine, I couldn't say for sure if it's OK or not.

Dave Miedema

wsohlcano
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks Dave. The tag I posted earlier was from the pants that came with the jersey. The jersey tag is the smaller one. Could the jersey be a carry over from earlier years and have a new strip tag put on for 1987? I am totally new to the Jersey world. Lol. All your help is greatly appreciated. I tried to do as much research as possible on my own.

Wsohl1208@aol.com

wsohlcano
01-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Dave

I was also wondering if there would be multiple (87 1) jerseys and so on. I have seen another one in an older auction that also had the (87 1) on the strip tag. How do the sets work? The strip tag on the pants reads : Mattingly 87 1 27. Ibwas wondering what the 27 was for.

Thanks again for all your input.

Wsohl1208@aol.com

jppopma
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
There is some debate as to how many jerseys are in each set. It had for the longest time been set 1 for the early part of the season and then a change over to set 2.

The difference Dave was mentioning about the Wilson tag, is the manufacturer label in the tail. Without any team tagging, you can narrowly determine years of a jersey based on changes that the manufacturer made in the tags. In this example, the Wilson tag is similar to jerseys made prior to 87.

On the pants, I would think that the 27 would denote the length of the pants.

The good thing with Yankees jerseys is that many times pinstripes are pedigree of their own and you might get lucky and be able to line them up to a photo (just remember that a jersey will wear a little different that it looks laying flat).

Best of luck.

wsohlcano
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeah. I was hoping that because the jersey is tagged (87 1) would lead to the early tag on the shirt tail. And the older sets for 87 would have the newer shirt tail tag.

Great Info once again.

Thanks alot guys.

Any other info on these would be cool as well

Thanks
Bill.

Wsohl1208@aol.com

sox83cubs84
01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks Dave. The tag I posted earlier was from the pants that came with the jersey. The jersey tag is the smaller one. Could the jersey be a carry over from earlier years and have a new strip tag put on for 1987? I am totally new to the Jersey world. Lol. All your help is greatly appreciated. I tried to do as much research as possible on my own.

Wsohl1208@aol.com

The prestige tag was first used in MLB jerseys by Wilson in 1986, not 1987. Anything is possible, but, if I saw that Wilson tag in a tail-tagged 1987 jersey, I'd be hesitant. It should be noted that the smaller Wilson tag was used in collar-tagged 1987-91 Wilson jerseys Blue Jays).

Dave Miedema

wsohlcano
01-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Dave

Thanks again for all your input. I was taking a closer look at the jersey and noticed that the sleeve has some stitch Marks where the black arm band was also removed. They go all the way around the sleeve. Could it be possible that this was a 85 or 86 Wilson that was used in early 87? That would make some sense I guess. Also the set in the strip tag is set 1. So I was thinking this was used in early 87. Just throwing some stuff out there. I thought it was kinda cool to find the arm band stitching. I'm gonna look at some pics with the arm bands and try to match the ny logo.

I tried to take some pics of the pulled fabric and stitch marks but they wouldn't come out on the pics.

Thanks again

Bill