Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capnsteve2
    • Jan 2013

My Game Used Jersey, Hat, Glove & Bat Collection

Not tons of stuff but this is the beginnings of my game used / issued collection. I know it pales in comparison to most on here but it's a start. My autograph collection is extensive, but I really just started getting into the game used items. Thanks for looking, and enjoy.

Ted Simmons Game Worn 2010 Padres Throwback Jersey. Purchased directly from the Padres; got Ted to sign it in Spring Training 2011 (wasn't easy!).

Mike Adams BP Jersey, purchased from the Padres and signed in Spring.

Mike Baxter Marine Digital Camo Jersey, received directly from the Padres, signed this year when he was with the Mets.

Joey Votto Batting Glove, thrown over the dugout before a game. Signed in spring training (he signed it horribly, pen kinda gave out).

Jason Bartlett Game Used Retro Hat, purchased from Padres and MLB Authenticated

Mike Adams Game Used Retro Hat, purchased from Padres and MLB Authenticated

Cory Luebke Game Used Retro Hat, purchased from Padres and MLB Authenticated

Cory Luebke Spring Training St. Patty's Day Game Hat, received from Cory

Bobby Abreu Issued Bats - won them in a contest directly from Abreu's agent

Mike Adams Game Used Glove - given to me directly.

• capnsteve2
    • Jan 2013

Re: My Game Used Jersey, Hat, Glove & Bat Collection

Heath Bell Game Used Glove - given to me directly.

Comment

• genius
      • Aug 2007

Great start, those are all very cool items! Love the "Irish Padre" hat!

Comment

• jtorrez
        • Jun 2009

That is a nice Baxter jersey but having it signed "Game Used" ruins it considering he was with the Mets during the 2011 season and did not play for the Padres. That jersey is a team issued jersey not a game used jersey. Baxter only played for the Padres in 2010.

Comment

• capnsteve2
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by jtorrez
          That is a nice Baxter jersey but having it signed "Game Used" ruins it considering he was with the Mets during the 2011 season and did not play for the Padres. That jersey is a team issued jersey not a game used jersey. Baxter only played for the Padres in 2010.
          Well, that's not true, Baxter was on the Padres in 2011 just on the DL. He was injured on 3/28 and placed on the Disabled List (was even on the DL for opening day).

Baxter begain his Mets career when he was selected off waivers on July 22nd by the Mets; however, he was with the Padres from the beginning of the season until he began his rehab assignment. He was in the dugout with the team during his time on the DL, and wore the jersey (I saw him do it!), although he didn't take the field. I suppose "Game Worn" may have been a more appropriate inscription but I think it hardly ruins it.

Comment

• jtorrez
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by capnsteve2
            Well, that's not true, Baxter was on the Padres in 2011 just on the DL. He was injured on 3/28 and placed on the Disabled List (was even on the DL for opening day).

Baxter begain his Mets career when he was selected off waivers on July 22nd by the Mets; however, he was with the Padres from the beginning of the season until he began his rehab assignment. He was in the dugout with the team during his time on the DL, and wore the jersey (I saw him do it!), although he didn't take the field. I suppose "Game Worn" may have been a more appropriate inscription but I think it hardly ruins it.
            Baxter was not on he active roster for the Padres and did not appear in any game during the 2011 for the Padres, how can he have a game used jersey if he was not on the active roster or played in any games?

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Mike Baxter. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

link confirms what he is saying above.
              these were used on sunday home games correct?
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com
              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
                • Aug 2005

do you remember the date he was on the bench? wouldnt he have to go on rehab (back to the minors) when on the DL. it had to be early in the season to have seen him on the bench and make this jersey desirable to you.
                Regards,
                Joel S.
                joelsabi @ gmail.com
                Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• capnsteve2
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by joelsabi
                  http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...axtemi01.shtml
                  link confirms what he is saying above.
                  these were used on sunday home games correct?
                  Yep, you got it!

As I said, he was on the 60 day DL. Jerseys are still issued to players and they still go to team events / go to games to be with the team. Sometimes they will even travel.

These jerseys were worn Sundays as part of the Padres Salute to the Armed Forces.

Comment

• capnsteve2
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by joelsabi
                    do you remember the date he was on the bench? wouldnt he have to go on rehab (back to the minors) when on the DL. it had to be early in the season to have seen him on the bench and make this jersey desirable to you.
                    Rehab assignments are generally started when a player is fairly close (1 - 2 weeks) from getting back to active duty. Thus his rehab assignment would not have been started until probably June (maybe late May). That's two full months with the team.

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Rehab assignments are generally started when a player is fairly close (1 - 2 weeks) from getting back to active duty. Thus his rehab assignment would not have been started until probably June (maybe late May). That's two full months with the team.

..OF Mike Baxter (left thumb surgery in March 2011) went on the 60-day disabled list March 28. He began a rehab assignment with Class A Lake Elsinore on July 7.

Read more: http://22gigantes.com/2011/07/series...#ixzz2H26IDpJH
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• GoTigers
                        • Aug 2007

Those gloves are nice, thanks for sharing.
                        Thanks,
                        Jimmy

Email:
                        jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• capnsteve2
                          • Jan 2013

To put this to death once and for all (I can't believe how much people want to know about Mike Baxter on here...):

2011 Opening Day Padres Roster - Mike Baxter is listed on the Disabled List

Mike Baxter Transactions - Shows he was selected by the Mets off Waivers on July 22nd, 2011

Mike Baxter Career Minor League Record - Shows his 2011 stats with Lake Elsinore (Padres Single A Minor League team) before going to the Mets (thus, yes, he was with the Padres).

As far as how long he was with the team, you really have to understand baseball transactions / moves / rehab assignments. Players don't automatically get sent to a minor league team for a rehab assignment immediately when they're injured, especially for long-term (60+ day) DL assignments. It will always depend on the injury; however, in general rehab at home for the "injury" part of their stint on the DL, and may or may not travel depending on their status with the team (are they a veteran and their presence is needed). In Baxter's case, it was a thumb injury, and as he was on the Opening Day roster, he would have been issued a jersey and been around the club until beginning his rehab.

Comment

• joelsabi
                            • Aug 2005

To put this to death once and for all (I can't believe how much people want to know about Mike Baxter on here...):

2011 Opening Day Padres Roster - Mike Baxter is listed on the Disabled List

Mike Baxter Transactions - Shows he was selected by the Mets off Waivers on July 22nd, 2011

Mike Baxter Career Minor League Record - Shows his 2011 stats with Lake Elsinore (Padres Single A Minor League team) before going to the Mets (thus, yes, he was with the Padres).

As far as how long he was with the team, you really have to understand baseball transactions / moves / rehab assignments. Players don't automatically get sent to a minor league team for a rehab assignment immediately when they're injured, especially for long-term (60+ day) DL assignments. It will always depend on the injury; however, in general rehab at home for the "injury" part of their stint on the DL, and may or may not travel depending on their status with the team (are they a veteran and their presence is needed). In Baxter's case, it was a thumb injury, and as he was on the Opening Day roster, he would have been issued a jersey and been around the club until beginning his rehab.
                            its refreshing to see a member who can defend an item in his collection. welcome to the board.
                            Regards,
                            Joel S.
                            joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• capnsteve2
                              • Jan 2013

I just didn't agree with the poster who said the jersey was "ruined" with the inscription, especially when they didn't have their facts straight.

But thanks! It's not that big of a collection but I know where / when I got all the items in it. I personally try to get my game-used items directly from the teams; I am not big on buying them on the secondary market as there are just so many problems. That might mean I don't have the coolest stuff but at least I know how it was obtained. I also try to get items that I know I can get signed, as I am primarily an autograph collector.

Comment

Working...