PDA

View Full Version : MLB Authenticated Question

kprst6
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Are the jerseys really only worn for 1 game or was it simply the last game the jersey was worn in before authenticated? The description usually says worn by player X on MM-DD-YYYY

joelsabi
01-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Are the jerseys really only worn for 1 game or was it simply the last game the jersey was worn in before authenticated? The description usually says worn by player X on MM-DD-YYYY

the later. the authenticator is authenticating usually the last game that the jersey was worn. there are time when it is both, such as the civil right jerseys, which are one game and/or one series wonders.

coxfan
01-04-2013, 12:37 PM
My samplings of MLB authentication suggest that they usually authenticate only the last use, because that's all they can be sure of. Sometimes they'll authenticate multiple uses, but only if they have a system to track them.

In an old thread somewhere, we pointed out that the Rangers had tracked multiple uses ( eg a Darren Oliver jersey used in World Series Game three, after being used in one regular-season game.) Evidently they had a tracking system most clubs don't have. Authenticators also vary a lot from city to city and even person to person. Some clubs still don't track the specifics that other clubs do.

So you usually just have to guess about previous uses, sometimes aided by other evidence you might turn up.

moo5100@yahoo.com
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
I only have one authenticated jersey. It is a black Oakland Athletics Chris Carter jersey, but it is authenicated to a game in which they wore white. They wore black a couple days before and i photomatched it, but it is annoying that they wont do anything to change it.

happyyoungster
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
An overwhelming amount of MLB authenticated items (Milwaukee Brewers) I've handled have shown some type of error stemming from an improper & sloppy entry by the Milwaukee authenticators. I've had all sorts of head-scratchers, ie; gu base on a gu bat, wrong inning listed, wrong pitcher against, wrong player used, wrong team, wrong venue, wrong, wrong, wrong. Sadly, the only way some of these errors are even discovered are through the use of video/photo matches.

I find it kind of ironic. Michael Posner sought out law enforcement officials (with a rank of Sgt. and above) to carry out the "chain of command" with these precious memorabilia items. Yet, a staggering percentage have been botched.
Thoughts?

dplettn
01-04-2013, 03:25 PM
An overwhelming amount of MLB authenticated items (Milwaukee Brewers) I've handled have shown some type of error stemming from an improper & sloppy entry by the Milwaukee authenticators. I've had all sorts of head-scratchers, ie; gu base on a gu bat, wrong inning listed, wrong pitcher against, wrong player used, wrong team, wrong venue, wrong, wrong, wrong. Sadly, the only way some of these errors are even discovered are through the use of video/photo matches.

I find it kind of ironic. Michael Posner sought out law enforcement officials (with a rank of Sgt. and above) to carry out the "chain of command" with these precious memorabilia items. Yet, a staggering percentage have been botched.
Thoughts?

Whether tasks are performed by humans or machines, some presence of error in inevitable. I think where you'll find overwhelming support for MLB Authentications under Posner's designed system is for 100% consistent systematic standards that never sacrifices certainty/integrity of the process. Occasional user entry errors are inevitable and far easier to identify than application of human judgement would or could be. They are not a consequence of conflicted interest or personal gain motives which have caused the far greater historical problems for our hobby.

I'll admit there are numerous instances where Authenticators don't observe what is most relevant to include what is most relevant (positive) in authentications... but missed authentication opportunities are a far lessor shortcoming than the problems inherent in other non MLB procedures/standards for authentication... ie: wondering whether an observation really occurred at all, whether an item has been switched from its certificate, whether somebody's human judgment in evaluating an item is conflicted or wrong, etc.

MLB Authentications is the gold standard for Sports Memorabilia.

As for Jersey use and MLB authentications... when the exercise is warranted, it is possible for MLB authentication parameters to allow for covert marking to be used/observed with authenticators and team coordinators in advance and upon authentication. Its not overly common as I understand it. What is common is that teams who dedicate resources to allow for the MLB authentication process to preserve the ever-developing heritage of their organization may use MLB Authentication's stringent parameters to have almost anything authenticated with certainty. There are a number of clubs which are frequently praised here on the forum.

While I won't comment on the authenticators' degree of focus at Miller ballpark for making relevant authentications in '12, I will note that Renee who handles the Brewers' authentication program has exceptional standards of personal integrity.

dplettn
01-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I only have one authenticated jersey. It is a black Oakland Athletics Chris Carter jersey, but it is authenicated to a game in which they wore white. They wore black a couple days before and i photomatched it, but it is annoying that they wont do anything to change it.

Several things are possible here and with a situation like this I'd imagine there is something more to this than we can see without observing the actual database entry.... For example, might the item be clearly used but in the database either as game issued or player collected?

I once observed an apparent problem which didn't seem like a user interface error. So, I asked the folks with the team and received an explanation which was fully explanatory. It was a peviously authenticed game used item that had been authenticated for an MLB Authentication observed autograph signing on a non-game day. The database entry presented strangely but the entry was fully factual.

jppopma
01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Thoughts?

Nick, We all know the jokes that many Sgts get their stripes just to get them off the road and prevent them from messing too much up....

Posner should turn here and see that we have plenty of LEO that also know enough about memorabilia to get the job done right.

TwinLakesPark
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
I just purchased a Sunday home alternate jersey from Matt Moore with the Rays, which is authenticated. The authentication sticker is from May 20th 2012th game in which they took all the jerseys from that game and authenticated them. What is most interesting is that all of those jerseys were set tagged as "Set 2011".

So the story goes from my team source, the new light blue Sunday home alternate jerseys for 2012 did not come in until May, so they used the 2011 jerseys until then. The team then pulled all the jerseys from the May 20th 2012 game to have them authenticated.

Since Matt Moore did not pitch in that game on the 20th, his jersey (along with all the other pitchers that did not pitch that game), was authenticated as "Game Issued".

So I have an MLB authenticated Game Issued jersey that was Game Used for the last part of the 2011 season (Matt Moore was a September call up) and then used in 2012 (I photo matched the jersey to a game in 2012 that he pitched in). So although MLB authenticated items are great, they don't really tell the full story.

I have also seen many MLB authenticated batting helmets that are authenticated as Game Used from the last game of the season, although that helmet was probably used for a good part of the entire season (depending on their temper!).

Just my 2 cents.

happyyoungster
01-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Whether tasks are performed by humans or machines, some presence of error in inevitable. I think where you'll find overwhelming support for MLB Authentications under Posner's designed system is for 100% consistent systematic standards that never sacrifices certainty/integrity of the process. Occasional user entry errors are inevitable and far easier to identify than application of human judgement would or could be. They are not a consequence of conflicted interest or personal gain motives which have caused the far greater historical problems for our hobby.

I'll admit there are numerous instances where Authenticators don't observe what is most relevant to include what is most relevant (positive) in authentications... but missed authentication opportunities are a far lessor shortcoming than the problems inherent in other non MLB procedures/standards for authentication... ie: wondering whether an observation really occurred at all, whether an item has been switched from its certificate, whether somebody's human judgment in evaluating an item is conflicted or wrong, etc.

MLB Authentications is the gold standard for Sports Memorabilia.

As for Jersey use and MLB authentications... when the exercise is warranted, it is possible for MLB authentication parameters to allow for covert marking to be used/observed with authenticators and team coordinators in advance and upon authentication. Its not overly common as I understand it. What is common is that teams who dedicate resources to allow for the MLB authentication process to preserve the ever-developing heritage of their organization may use MLB Authentication's stringent parameters to have almost anything authenticated with certainty. There are a number of clubs which are frequently praised here on the forum.

While I won't comment on the authenticators' degree of focus at Miller ballpark for making relevant authentications in '12, I will note that Renee who handles the Brewers' authentication program has exceptional standards of personal integrity.

You used a lot of big words, and, quite frankly, I now need to take a short nap...nevertheless, if I made that many "occasional" mistakes at my job, I would be disciplined and/or fired. Shape up Milwaukee authenticators!!