PDA

View Full Version : Help from Yankee Collectors: Reggie Jackson

Firststringer
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
This Jackson jersey has been in my possession for more than 30 years and I obtained it directly from the Yankees. My question is in regards to the tagging. I believe the size and manufacturer are accurate and consistent with early Reggie Yankees shirts. I've seen Yankees home pinstripes from the same era with the year and set indicated on tail but without the word "set" like mine has. I would appreciate any and all expert on opinions on the authenticity of this jersey (see photos, and let me know if additional images are required). Thanks to this forum.

slats7
01-05-2013, 04:28 PM
As a Yankee fan, I noticed right away that the interlocking N & Y look wrong.

Here's how it should look:

http://canoecommunications.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/kenosha-museums-010.jpg?w=987

http://www.bccg10.com/STx19994.jpg

http://images.checkoutmycards.com/zoom/fc98ddb9-8228-44ce-bc1a-e6f62acf9d6d.jpg

Firststringer
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Slats: thanks for your input. To my eye at least, the interlocking N & Y look different in each of the three photos you provided (as does the alignment with pin-striping). Not suggesting mine isn't "wrong" - very well could be and that's why I'm seeking opinions - but I'm not conclusively convinced. Thanks again.

slats7
01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
I doubt you'll find any Yankee from the Jackson years wearing that type of NY, but happy hunting.

sox83cubs84
01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
The embroidery fonts on the NIC and the year/set strip tag aren't even close in appearance to what the Yankees had in their Wilson 1977 jerseys. I wouldn't touch this piece with a 39 1/2 foot pole (a nod to You're a Mean one, Mr. Grinch).

Dave Miedema

Firststringer
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I now have it on your good authority, so thanks Dave. Or should I say, Mr. Grinch? :)

Dewey2007
01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Just curious. Under what circumstances did you receive this jersey from the Yankees? Was it a gift from a team employee, did you win it in an auction or giveaway, etc.

I now have it on your good authority, so thanks Dave. Or should I say, Mr. Grinch? :)

Firststringer
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Just curious. Under what circumstances did you receive this jersey from the Yankees? Was it a gift from a team employee, did you win it in an auction or giveaway, etc.

Hi - I worked the 1981 World Series and happened to befriend Pete Sheehy, longtime Yankees clubhouse manager, who sent it to me as a thank you gesture. Imagine my happy surprise when I received it 32 years ago; imagine my sad surprise now to find out it most likely isn't authentic! That said, I have no explanation for why the man in charge of Yankees equipment would pass along a bad jersey but I suppose that mystery will never be solved (I believe Sheehy passed away around 1985 or thereabouts)...

Dewey2007
01-05-2013, 10:51 PM
It looks like the inscription says "Last Yankee Jersey Worn by Reggie Jackson" too. Might be worth a shot to try and find pics of Reggie's last games of 1981 and see if it happens to match up?

It has the armband they were wearing that season and in the series so while it might be a longshot you never know...

Hi - I worked the 1981 World Series and happened to befriend Pete Sheehy, longtime Yankees clubhouse manager, who sent it to me as a thank you gesture. Imagine my happy surprise when I received it 32 years ago; imagine my sad surprise now to find out it most likely isn't authentic! That said, I have no explanation for why the man in charge of Yankees equipment would pass along a bad jersey but I suppose that mystery will never be solved (I believe Sheehy passed away around 1985 or thereabouts)...

Firststringer
01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
It looks like the inscription says "Last Yankee Jersey Worn by Reggie Jackson" too. Might be worth a shot to try and find pics of Reggie's last games of 1981 and see if it happens to match up?

It has the armband they were wearing that season and in the series so while it might be a longshot you never know...

Mine - the jersey in question because of the incorrect font - is tagged 1977 and is without armband (that one is apparently a good exemplar). Thanks for your input.

Dewey2007
01-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Sorry about that. I got your jersey confused with the one that was posted by slats7 as an example of what one should look like.

Maybe the Yankees had extra Jackson jerseys made up to give away at that time? I'm sure the Yankees EM didn't mean any harm when he gave that one to you as a gift but just didn't have a real one to give away.