PDA

View Full Version : Franco Harris Game Used Helmet on Ebay

joemax8429
01-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Franco Harris gamer helmet on ebay. The guy is asking 10G for it. Seems way to much. Thoughts?

jhunt28
01-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Looks like it sold for $10,000...I haven't done any research on this, but if it's legit and can be photomatched, or perhaps if the person can even get Franco to issue a letter along with a photomatch, then $10,000 is a bargain if you ask me. Franco Harris is a part of one of the most famous plays in the history of the NFL. The Immaculate Reception will be shown for eternity, and Franco will never be forgotten. A helmet like this belongs in the HOF. If this is legit, IMO $10,000 is a steal.

Steeleraddict
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
I spoke(emailed) the seller. Seems like a nice guy.
My issue is that the face mask is def not a match to the one he wore for the immaculate reception. Also, some thing about the number font, wear doesn't sit right or match. Its stated that helmet manufactured in 1972, the year if the imm. rec. Could have been wore years later. How common I wonder?
If legit, I agree a def steal at $10k. I couldn't offer near that amount due to the uncertainty.
I see it was won thru upperdeck which i don't doubt they thought itmwas legit. But my concern is all the news how certain companies were selling to U.D. Etc claiming game used.

I would love to hear additional thoughts. Esp from Steeler experts and helmet experts.

UGA-1
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken, this same helmet was discussed a couple of years ago on this forum. It was deemed to have a lot of problems. The one that stuck in my memory bank was that Franco wore a green dot facemask his entire career. That ebay helmet has a red dot mask. I'm sure you can search "FRANCO HARRRIS" on this site and find that discussion. Hope this helps.

UGA-1
01-10-2013, 09:53 PM
One of several pics on Getty that show Franco with a green dot mask.

yosef777
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
While the facemask is not the style Franco wore during the Immaculate Reception, a Schutt OPO, Franco did soon switch to the Schutt NOPO mask style on the helmet from ebay so that is not an issue, IMO.
The molded, date clock in the helmet appears to be from March 1972 which is a reasonable match but I wish I could see if there is a date stamped on the red and white paper Riddell label often found on the inside of the helmet as well.
As far as green dot marking on the black facemask in the photograph, if I am not mistaken, that did not come into being until the mid 1970's as a size marker. Schutt masks marked with red dots were intended for smaller size helmet shells while the masks with green dots indicated those for larger size helmet shells. Prior to that all the Schutt masks were the same size (the smaller size or what became the red dot size) and they were stretched, bent, etc. to fit the helmet anyway possible.
For example a player may have been wearing a large sized helmet shell in the early 1970's but he wouldn't have had a green dot (large size) mask on until the mid 1970's as they did not exist as yet.

Steeleraddict
01-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Wow. Great info and rep uses. That's why I love this board.

Ugh-1, thx for the info and links. After reading the past discussions, I prob wouldn't come close to buying this helmet. Esp at 10k. That and my gut instincts of the wear and fonts just don't sit right. I will admit I made an offer, he seams like a nice guy, prob doesn't know but thanks to this board u guys saved me thousands. The past discussions is what did it for me. Although during this whole process someone offered him the 10k.

Yosef777, great reply and education.hope I can come to u for further discussions.

Ugh-1 and yosef777, in the end how comfortable are u with this helmet. I dont think u ever said. Would u be in at 2k, 5k, 10k? If real it's def a steal at 10k. One thing I have realized is that here and on other auctions, the market determines the price. Based on the amount of uncertainty and knowledge the final price usually ends up reflecting it. I.e. A solid Jordan gamer with airtight provenance only going for 2k.

I'd be interested what others now think and what price would be fair value?
Thx guys

cohibasmoker
01-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Looks like the helmet sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANCO-HARRIS-1972-Game-Worn-Helmet-ONE-of-ONE-IR-40th-Anniversary-RARE-/200868020804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec4aac244&nma=true&si=5hWnz2%2Fq%2BwmTf8qqF%2FiI60seAp0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

yosef777
01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Steeleraddict,
I am glad I was able to help somewhat.
I did not state a price as I don't think I have enough experience with the various Steeler fonts, decals etc. to give you a confident quote as to its value.
That said I would say that a game used a black, Riddell, suspension helmet that is not authenticated is not worth any where near 10K (maybe a few hundred). However, with the same helmet that is authenticated and is as important as this claims to be (Franco's helmet worn during the immaculate reception) then the price is justified, IMO.

Steeleraddict
01-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Yosef777,
Thx for the reply. I agree completely. I'm just not comfortable with this helmet. If real, I say $20k plus in this market. Def not used in the immaculate reception. As such, I don't think it commands more than $500. It's the font, decal which I still uncomf with plus what others have pointed out. This board has saved me thousands if I were to pull the trigger. I did inquire.
Unfort for the buyer.I would think he could get a refund. But I do suspect we'll see it again for sale.

Steeleraddict
01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Was this one claimed to be the one worn during the immaculate reception? Because someone as amateur as myself can find with 1 simple click on google that the face mask doesn't match the one on film.

yosef777
01-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Below in quotes, is the auction title and part of the description, IMO, it sounds like the seller was claiming it was worn in the IR game.
In fairness, helmets were not usually changed every year in those days and they could be used for an entire career without being changed. (Some players were sentimental/loyal to a specific helmet and wouldn't switch/upgrade at all.)
Franco did change to the NOPO facemask (pictured in the auction) shortly after the 1972 season so the mask could be legit in that case.

"FRANCO HARRIS 1972 Game-Worn Helmet - ONE of ONE - IR 40th Anniversary! - RARE"
"As seen in the pictures above, this helmet is absolutely beautiful. It is in the same condition as it was when I picked it up from UPS some 9 years ago! According to the time clock on the inside of the helmet (seen in the picture above), this helmet is dated "1972". This is the same year that the "Immaculate Reception" took place! As you all very well know, the 40th Anniversary of the Immaculate Reception is in 2 days (December 23, 1972)."