PDA

View Full Version : Listing of Lou Lampson Mistakes

rose14
11-01-2006, 10:28 AM
I would like to comprise a listing from everyone that list the items that Lou Lampson has signed off on that people have investigated and found to be fraudulent or wrong. I would like everyone to add their proof to substantiate their facts and when & where it was purchased or auctioned. If you have a link to the auction or pictures please post them.

[content removed]

I will start with an item that was in the Mastro October 26, 2006 auction.
It was Lot #696, Darrell Griffith University of Louisville Game Used Jersey.
Lou Lampson signed off on this jersey as being game worn by Griffith in the late 1970's due to the manufacturing tagging on the jersey. Lou failed to look to see if the jersey was even consistent with the jersey the team wore in that time period. The color of the numbers and lettering were wrong, as they never wore white letters or numbering during that time period. He also failed to notice that Louisville wore only knit jerseys at that time and not the mesh like what was in the auction. Just about 15 minutes of research by Lou could have shown him that this is not an authentic Darrell Griffith jersey. I even forwarded him with an email from the University of Louisville athletic department who spoke with Darrell Griffith about the jersery being wrong but Lou still stands by his LOA. You can plainly see in the picture with Griffith that the jersey is not mesh.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=63267&CurrentRow=1

indyred
11-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Great idea. With many new members here like myself, I'd like to see some of things with his COA that are sketchy. Is he the one who authenticated the Cal Ripken St. Patricks day Orioles game worn jersey. That the Orioles never even used?

otismalibu
11-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I've seen a few Erving items (with Lampson COA) that seem questionable, IMO. But to come right out and call them mistakes wouldn't be fair, because I don't have a photo archive of every game in which Dr. J. played.

Now if you started a "Hey Lou, How 'Bout Some Visual Evidence That Supports Your COA" thread, you may see the floodgates open.

Eric
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Please see the thread on the Kellen Winslow helmet with the backwards lightning bolts
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=3681&highlight=winslow
Eric

both-teams-played-hard
11-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Lot#166, AMI auction, October 19, 2006.
Lampson incorrectly authenticated a early 70s University of Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA warm up as being from the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA. The Royals have always worn red, white and blue. The UC Bearcats: red, white and black. "Identification" is most times easier than "authentication".

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7351/cincycm8.jpg

allstarsplus
11-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Lot#166, AMI auction, October 19, 2006.
Lampson incorrectly authenticated a early 70s University of Cincinnati Bearcats NCAA warm up as being from the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA. The Royals have always worn red, white and blue. The UC Bearcats: red, white and black. "Identification" is most times easier than "authentication".

At least he didn't mistake it for Curley "Boo" Johnson of the Harlem Globetrotters!!!! https://harlemglobetrotters.com/images/jamielee.jpg

kingjammy24
11-03-2006, 06:46 PM
is there no limit to lou's expertise?

Madonna's Lace Panties
7/31/2003

http://www.100percentauthentic.com/assets/itemimages/503-MadonasPantieSignFramed_th.jpg (http://www.100percentauthentic.com/CertList.asp?SearchStr=madonna#) Black lace thong signed in white "Love Madonna."

rudy.

allstarsplus
11-03-2006, 07:05 PM
http://www.100percentauthentic.com/CertList.asp?SearchStr=madonna#

Rudy - That is too funny. Were they certified "concert used" or "recording studio used" by Mr. Lampson????? I think concert used thongs have a special wash tag code.

Andrew

sportscentury
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Rudy:

Classic stuff! I figure there has to be a Warren/BTPH addendum not far behind.

Reid

both-teams-played-hard
11-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I figure there has to be a Warren/BTPH addendum not far behind.

Sorry Reid. Wouldn't touch it...

sportscentury
11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Sorry Reid. Wouldn't touch it...

No rare photo of Lou sporting this rare item?

rick
11-05-2006, 12:09 PM
OK, I’ll add one here. On 12/9/05, AMI sold a “ Early 1960's Sandy Koufax Game-Worn Dodgers Satin Jacket” in one of their auctions, listing the authenticators as 100% Authentic/Lou Lampson. The jacket sold for over $17,000. Ordinarily, as a Koufax collector I would have been very interested in it however something in the picture leaped right out at me. Any Dodger collector should spot the problem right away.

Here is a picture of the jacket:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629&stc=1&d=1162745961

<H2 style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 3pt">

And here is AMI’s description:
“Sandy Koufax was one of the greatest left handed pitchers of all time. Nuff said!! His pitching jacket is offered here in beautiful royal blue satin. It has a white fleece body lining and nylon collar sleeve lining. A leather hook fastener resides in the collar fully intact. The jacket features a full zip front and stretch ribbed white striped collar sleeve and waist cuffs. The front pockets are leather lined with purple satin interior reminiscent of the interior of Cleveland Browns and San Diego Chargers jackets. "Koufax's #32" is sewn on to the left sleeve just above the cuff. The underscored “Dodgers” script front adorns the chest in white tackle twill. There are no labels, leading one to deduce that the jacket was probably made by Goodman or Tiernan, suppliers who were known to custom fit players and not include labels on occasion. (emphasis added by me) Overall, an absolutely beautiful sideline jacket with a numeric sleeve identifier.“

In other words, the lack of any tagging here is a good thing, since the jacket must have been custom made for Koufax. We should all forget worrying about tags, because apparently the fewer, the better. There isn’t even any mention of size (i.e. approximately a 44??, which was what Koufax wore).

But as a Koufax collector, the biggest discrepancy I noticed wasn’t even the lack of tagging, but the script style of “Dodgers” on the front of the jacket. I have been collecting Dodger items for over 20 years, I save almost every Dodger jersey and jacket picture I can find, I have gone thru every Dodger picture on Getty and Corbis related to the era when Koufax pitched, and I simply can’t find any jersey or jacket that ever had a separation between the capital "D" and small "o" in the “Dodgers” script. They are always connected in some manner (sometimes at the bottom of the “D”, sometimes a little higher up, but always connected). On this jacket, the “D” is clearly not connected to the rest of the Dodger script. The only other time I have seen this was on a minor league Dodger uniform.

Now I can’t say with 100% certainty that the jacket isn’t what Lou Lampson claims, because unlike jerseys, I don’t know exactly what jackets the teams were supplied with every year. But here we have a jacket, with no stated provenance, no tagging, no size mentioned, and a script style that doesn’t match any Dodger jersey or jacket from that period, and yet we get Lou Lamspon authenticating it as real. Is this really a case where a reliable authenticator should render an "its good" opinion? Someone paid over $17,000 for this jacket. Well, it does have a #32 on the sleeve. :)

Rick
</H2>

both-teams-played-hard
11-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I don’t know exactly what jackets the teams were supplied with every year.

Tiernan NEVER made jackets for the Dodgers. EVER.
There also seems to be a trend of people adding NOBs and numbers to retail "dugout" jackets...(Starter and the like). They then submit these to an unsuspecting authenticator and history is re-written or simply forgotten about. Then the auction house uses the authenticator as a convienant "scape-goat." We e-mailed the authenticator and he/she stands by his/her findings. No refunds. All sales final.

rick
11-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Then the auction house uses the authenticator as a convienant "scape-goat."

And then the authenticator isn't liable, since it is only their "opinion". But how does this jacket get authenticated when it has no tagging? None. Nada. With the wrong "Dodgers" script to boot.

It reminds me of a 1959 Gil Hodges replica flannel I once owned. It was clearly a made-up jersey, with no tagging. Wasn't even close to what a game flannel should have looked like. I should have hung on to it, since the lack of tagging obviously meant it was custom made for Hodges:D .

Rick

both-teams-played-hard
11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
A few subtle differences...can't tell if the "D" and "o" connect...AMI's jacket seems a lighter weight. Tiernan, still never made Dodgers jackets. I wouldn't pay 17Gs for the jacket if it came "out of Sandy's closet" (let's not discuss Sandy's personal life). Who made Dodger jerseys during the Koufax era? I know Spalding was one...Wilson?

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7750/koufax2fs4.jpghttp://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1500/koufax4wh4.jpg

rick
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Wilson, Skinner, and Butwin manufactured the Dodger jackets I have seen from the mid to late 50's, with Butwin also appearing in the early to mid 60's. I believe Goodman started doing the jackets in the lates 60's.

Rick

sammy
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Look at the script on the "o", the tail of the "g" and the "s".

Totally different jackets and script.

weimerskirch
11-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Team,

The "o" lower case "d" "g" and "s' are different. Also the pocket trim is different between the color and B&W photo. The B&W photo looks like a Wilson jacket as it has the leather circular trim around the pocket. The color photo has a straight trim on the pocket.

Mark

rick
11-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Sammy,
The style of the "Dodger" script on jackets did change occasionally, and no one is claiming that there is a photo of Koufax wearing the AMI jacket. The one constant in Dodger lettering was that the "D" and "o" were always attached, whether on a flannel or jacket. While the photo that BTPH posted may be inconclusive in this regard (given the angle that the photo was taken), I would like to see a photo from Lou Lampson showing the Dodgers ever used that style script. Seems to me you should have some type of proof to back up an authentication. This should be even more critical given the lack of any tagging on the jacket.

Rick

staindsox
11-05-2006, 08:15 PM
the pockets are different too.