PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I'm new here.

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jessica, and I am a big sports fan (mainly Alabama football and Atlanta Braves baseball). I recently started collecting a couple game used items. I also love getting autographs.

I have a question about markers for autographs. Can I ask here or do I need to ask in the autograph forum?

Steeleraddict
01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Welcome.
Ask away?

Steeleraddict
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Sorry. I meant, ask away!
Congrats on the win. Too bad wasnt a very good game

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Sorry. I meant, ask away!
Congrats on the win. Too bad wasnt a very good game

Thank you. I very much enjoyed the game. :)

I'm getting a football autographed (the kind with white panels that are strictly for autographs). I've always used sharpies, but I've read where paint markers would be better. What is the best brand? I've heard Decocolor, but my local store didn't have them. I bought a paint marker that is made by the same company, but it is called Duct Tape marker. It is an oil based marker. I've used Prismacolor on color, but they didn't have a broad tip black one.

stdrwt11
01-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Jessica, I would try to stay away from White Panel footballs. Over time they tend to fade, I would go with an actual football and use a silver paint pen or nicer silver sharpie. If you do go with the white panel the best Idea is to go black sharpie (thick). If you use a paint pen sometimes it will take a long time to dry and the slightest touch with smear it.

I collect many autos and also help with some sports shows.

I prefer photos or mini helmets personally but a normal football also looks great in silver.

I hope this helps!

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:00 PM
I've been afraid of them fading, but the footballs are commemorative footballs from each of the national championship seasons. I don't know what other to get to have the players sign. If I decide to go with paint markers, will they do fine as long as I let them dry good? I've used them on mini helmets and prints (Prismacolor metallic silver), and the autos are sharp. Never tried them on footballs.

genius
01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Jessica already gets more responses to her posts than I ever do!

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Haha. It must be a girl thing. ;)

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Also, what is best to use on mini helmets that need black ink instead of silver? Like my pink breast cancer awareness helmets that I am wanting to get signed? Like I mentioned I've used Prismacolor silver, but didn't see a black ink in the same.

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Here is on of my game used items. My Martin Prado game used and autographed jersey from the Jerseys Off Our Back auction. http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/jessica4bama/?action=view&current=14ddd3f518aa162c76c25589e0b1cf50.jpg][IMG]http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/jessica4bama/th_14ddd3f518aa162c76c25589e0b1cf50.jpg

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Sorry. I couldn't get it uploaded, and my iPad won't let me edit my last post.

timb69
01-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I have 2 braves gamers, not signed though...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Baseball%20Jerseys/IMG_2972.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/Gh0sTeR/Baseball%20Jerseys/IMG_2973.jpg

stdrwt11
01-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Decocolor is the best option, if not available then go with a fresh sharpie, test first though by blotting it several times then press hard and draw a 2 inch line.

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Decocolor is the best option, if not available then go with a fresh sharpie, test first though by blotting it several times then press hard and draw a 2 inch line.

Would you just keep using a sharpie on the footballs or do you think the Decocolor would be better as long as I let it dry?

GoTigers
01-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.. and War Eagle. I'm auburn alum class of '03

Preston
01-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey Jessica,

Welcome!

As far as previous posts, I would agree - getting panel balls signed is a bad idea. For jerseys (game used or not) I typically prefer getting the darker numbers signed - get them in decocolor paint pen. If you do have a jersey with a white number, use a black decocolor. Footballs I use paint pens as well.

stdrwt11
01-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Honestly either works but I would stick with a black sharpie to be safe. At the last show most signers were using a black on white panel over paint pens. Just make sure it is new and tested, if multiple sigs make sure to have several on you because if it is overused or dries up some from use and being open the autos are not as clean and look faded and scratchy. That will be as cool item. Don't use blue sharpie on white panel as it will fade overtime where black holds longer. Oh, get UV protected case for it to better preserve the sigs.

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Let's see if these pics will upload. This is all the game used stuff I have right now. http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/jessica4bama/get-attachmentaspx.jpg

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/jessica4bama/photo-10.jpg

Jessica4Bama
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Jessica,

Welcome!

As far as previous posts, I would agree - getting panel balls signed is a bad idea. For jerseys (game used or not) I typically prefer getting the darker numbers signed - get them in decocolor paint pen. If you do have a jersey with a white number, use a black decocolor. Footballs I use paint pens as well.

Yeah. I was upset about the fact the Braves used a silver Sharpie on there game used jerseys they auctioned off. I was hoping they would use a paint pen, but no luck. The Prado jersey is signed on the 4, and he has a lite signature from what I've noticed so it doesn't pop.

Jessica4Bama
01-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Sorry. I've got another question.

Do you think a silver paint pen would look good on this mini helmet?

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg568/jessica4bama/photo16.jpg

vdsporty25
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
[quote=Jessica4Bama;312165]Sorry. I've got another question.

Do you think a silver paint pen would look good on this mini helmet?

On the pink helmet you would be better off using black ink. Paint pen or sharpie would work. The paint pen would be the best bet if you are worried about fading but I think you should be alright with sharpie as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Jessica4Bama
01-11-2013, 12:15 PM
That is what I was thinking. I'm going to buy a Decocolor off eBay because my local store doesn't carry them. Should I get broad line or fine line? I want the autographs to pop you know.

cubbs1232
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
fine line on paint pens i find work and look the best

cubbs1232
01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Heres a couple of the fine point autographs

Jessica4Bama
01-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I got my Decocolor in the mail a couple days ago, and I have been testing it on an old mini helmet that I have. Is there anything I need to do as for a prep before I have someone sign with it? I've already got it primed and writing, but when I try it on the mini helmet, the ink at first tends to separate or bubble (I'm not sure how to explain it. It's weird). I never had this problem with the Prismacolor, but it is silver ink. I'm thinking maybe a sharpie would be best on the pink mini. IDK.

Any advice?

Jessica4Bama
01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Also, I've noticed that the ink flakes off if I scratch on it, but obviously I won't be doing that with the real autographs. Am I doing something wrong?

NEFAN
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM

LOL

CampWest
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Haha. It must be a girl thing. ;)

Careful guys. Don't read too much into these forum names... Jessica could be a Tuiasosopo for all we know...

Don't get Manti-ed or Te'o-ed or Catfished or whatever they're calling it these days...

:D :p

Jessica4Bama
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Careful guys. Don't read too much into these forum names... Jessica could be a Tuiasosopo for all we know...

Don't get Manti-ed or Te'o-ed or Catfished or whatever they're calling it these days...

:D :p

Haha. True. What a bizarre story this is, but I promise my name is Jessica so no worries. :)