PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken Sr. Photomatch?

ironmanfan
01-13-2013, 03:18 PM
The other day I noted an auction on eBay for a slide of Cal Ripken Sr. (with Jr.) dated 1992 with them donning their alternate orange tops. Knowing that in my collection I owned a 1992 orange top of Cal Sr., I pulled it out to see if I could possibly match it.

Obviously, it's far from perfect but in comparing the horizontal size of the nameplate, the space between the top of the 7 and the bottom portion of the nameplate, the lining up of the 7 underneath of the name "RIPKEN," it has some positive points heading in that direction.

Curious what other's thoughts are...

picture

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1Sr92.jpg

jersey

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/1SrTop.jpg

Dewey2007
01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Bill, I think you got something there. If you were to purchase the slide and blow it up I think you could probably match that loose thread on the "P". Good luck!

ironmanfan
01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Bill, I think you got something there. If you were to purchase the slide and blow it up I think you could probably match that loose thread on the "P". Good luck!

Thanks, it's on my watch list to hopefully purchase at auction's end....

35th&Shields
01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
There looks to be another possible loose thread on the front of the jersey that may of been captured from this angle of the photo. Ripken Sr. right side. Is it on your jersey still? possibly rolled/curled up? or maybe just a scratch on the pic not sure?

Good Luck!

Semper Fi
Joe

EricTheRed44
01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
That really looks like a match. When you zoom in, the bottom left of the 7 has that little white ripple, the jersey he's wearing has the same exact. I wouldnt think that would be part of the design would it?

EricTheRed44
01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Also, the R in Ripken has that slight little line, also looks to be in photo of him wearing it when you zoom. Of course, I suck at matching my Davis items, so I could be seeing something thats not there...

solarlottry
01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
It looks like a dead on match to me. If you look at the way the P is oriented on the nameplate with regards to the K it looks like a match. The P on both the slide and on the jersey looks a little higher than the K. Also if you compare the way all the letters are aligned on both, they appear to match each other.

I always use eBay for photo matching. It is a great source of images from a huge number of sources. With today's technology allowing us to save images directly onto our computer screens, many times I do not even bid on the items/images I save.

Great photo match on the Ripken Sr.!

Paul