PDA

View Full Version : Actual bat weight versus the wight noted in official shipping/order records

markf31
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I've been able to learn quite a bit so far by browsing the past forum archives along with having read Vince Malta's book and using it as the invaluable resources it's proving to be.

I have come across game used bats that might come close to the weights listed in the official Louisville Slugger shipping records found in the book, but don't match up exactly. For example, an auction lists a bat as weighing 31.7 oz and the shipping records for the particular label style, model and length state the bats that were ordered weighed 31 oz.

Now I dabble a little in wood working as a hobby, and I know that depending on how you store wood it can gain or lose moisture content and over time this, along with other storage factors can affect the density and weight of the wood.

So my question is, with older bats, is there an acceptable +/- range for weights when comparing them to the original factory order records? I think it could be possible for a bat to gain or lose almost an oz of weight over the course of 30 to 70+ years. Or is my assumption wrong and it becomes more of a cut and dry issue that if the weights don't match up then I can probably assume it was not ordered by the player?

As always, I appreciate all your thoughts!

rogergoochman
01-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I just asked the same question about a bat from 2009 and it was 4 ounces heavier. The tigers uses a system for bat weight for the exact weight. So I think the older it gets the lighter it would get from drying out.

momen55
01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
it also depends on climate. a bat up north will be lighter than say florida because of humidity, moisture, etc. i saw this when i moved from chicago to florida. one of my bats, older bats, grew in weight by .2 or .3 ounces over a short period of time.

marino13
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Woods do expand during change in weather climate.

Another thing - with the extra pine tar, taping and dirt, it will add weight on the bat.

By the way, an ounce is NOT a lot of weight but with a bat, it is. :D

If the bat is listed at 33 inches but it is actually 31 - then we have a problem.

MSpecht
01-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Here is a thread that is useful in this discussion:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1341&highlight=weight+loss

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

joelsabi
01-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Woods do expand during change in weather climate.

Another thing - with the extra pine tar, taping and dirt, it will add weight on the bat.

By the way, an ounce is NOT a lot of weight but with a bat, it is. :D

If the bat is listed at 33 inches but it is actually 31 - then we have a problem.

nice summary of the issue.

BMH had similar reasoning here.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=226489&postcount=14