PDA

View Full Version : Why do collectors have their jerseys signed?

Buzzybean
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
The signature adds nothing. The marker ink bleeds and then eventually fades away turning a beautiful jersey into a nice jersey with a permanent stain. Get a picture of you and the jersey with the player but leave that silly sharpie at home.

mad87man
01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
some people think it looks nice. sometimes the jersey comes signed. that's like asking why do people like the jersey unwashed? its all prefernce really. i personally don't like signed jerseys, but if others do, who am i to judge?

genius
01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
I can totally understand someone having a very special jersey signed as long as it's not too intrusive on the shirt. A black sharpie on white durene for example pretty much ruins it for me. Signing on a number is much better, sleeve even better still. A jersey personalized to someone, rather than just signed by the athlete, probably takes away a lot of value on resale but those that have them signed like that likely don't have plans to sell.

I'd rather have no ink at all on anything though, other than a replica.

icollectDCsports
01-19-2013, 06:44 PM
This is one of those topics that comes up from time to time. People have different preferences. I think a lot of fans have autograph fever which means they want to get as many things signed as possible and they feel it adds something special to each item. And, for them, I suppose it does. While I don't mind signatures on bats and some other items such as cleats or catchers' gear, I much prefer jerseys not to be signed. I like a jersey to look just at it did on the field, and I think a jersey that you know is a legit gamer of a particular player needs nothing added. It's the real deal and that's what makes it special, not the autograph. I can see getting authentic jerseys auto'd as that's what would provide the personal link to the player, but the link for a gamer is that it actually was worn by the player.

I have passed on otherwise nice jerseys with signatures that I felt were too prominent for my liking. However, the exception is that I don't mind as much if a signature is signed neatly, and in a size that's not too huge, down on the tail which wouldn't be visible anyway when worn on the field. Particularly appropriate if there are tags on the tail where a signature wouldn't seem out of place. Not a fan of personalizations and don't see the need for a player to note "game worn" because that's something presumably I already knew.

But the bottom line remains that it's a matter of personal preference. I get more enjoyment out of a jersey that's in as close a condition as possible to being handed to me directly from the field.

beaglegypsy003
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
As I've mentioned in some of my previous posts, the vast majority of my collection would be considered of common players. As such I don't think having autographs on them would affect their value. Also, I collect for the enjoyment and not as an investment. Why else would I have recently purchased a Bobby Singh CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers jersey? Why the difference in it being okay to have a bat or cleats/shoes signed but not a jersey? They don't appear on the field of play with autographs on them. So I guess it comes down to preference and if it is for investment, don't have it signed.

trsent
01-19-2013, 08:17 PM
The signature adds nothing.

Most collectors do not agree with this statement. You collect what you like and other people collect what they like. Many people prefer to have signatures on jerseys.

frikativ54
01-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Most collectors do not agree with this statement. You collect what you like and other people collect what they like. Many people prefer to have signatures on jerseys.

@Joel - You've found that "most collectors" prefer having signatures on their game used jerseys? What is their rationale? Just curious as to your take, as you seem to have a lot of hobby experience.

5toolplayer
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Every single jersey I buy that is game used and sometimes even the jerseys I buy to wear at the games (Andrew Luck being the latest) end up getting signed. To me, these jerseys aren't about current market value or future value, it's about the memory of how and when it was signed. Every time I look at one of my framed jerseys that I got autographed myself I remember the exact day, stadium, weather, who was with me that day. I remember the conversation I had with the athlete, I remember talking & talking about it with my wife right after the item was signed. So to me as a Sports Nut. its all about the memories. :) Nothing more

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x369/5toolplayer/IMG_4404.jpg

Buzzybean
01-20-2013, 06:14 AM
It has little to do with investment but more to do with aesthetics. When the signature begins to bleed and fade it will look terrible. I mean how sentimental is a blotch of faded ink on a real cool jersey? You still have the memory of meeting the player...just sayin'.

Buzzybean
01-20-2013, 06:18 AM
And I'm not judging anyone LOL. It's just an observation and opinion. :)

MLB~NUT
01-20-2013, 06:25 AM
This is a dumb question, its like does someone buy a exotic ar and never drive it???:eek:

beaglegypsy003
01-20-2013, 07:12 AM
What a person does with their purchase, what they collect or even what they paid is up to that individual and they shouldn't be criticized for it. But again for those who say they want their jerseys in the condition as it would come straight off the field, wouldn't that be the same for anything that is game-used in their collection? Nothing should be added on after the fact. Just my opinion.

G1X
01-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Every single jersey I buy that is game used and sometimes even the jerseys I buy to wear at the games (Andrew Luck being the latest) end up getting signed. To me, these jerseys aren't about current market value or future value, it's about the memory of how and when it was signed. Every time I look at one of my framed jerseys that I got autographed myself I remember the exact day, stadium, weather, who was with me that day. I remember the conversation I had with the athlete, I remember talking & talking about it with my wife right after the item was signed. So to me as a Sports Nut. its all about the memories. :) Nothing more

Well said! Although I am not much for having my game-used jerseys autographed, I have a large collection of several of my all-time favorite players, so I had no hesitation in having those players autograph one of their jerseys. They were personalized which may kill the value, but I couldn't care less as it is not about the value for me, it's about the memories.

I also have absolutely no problem having Minor League jerseys signed. Since many do not have names-on-back to begin with, having the jersey autographed by the player who wore it is a nice addition.

Regarding the comment that the autographs bleed and fade over time, maybe I have been real lucky, but I have yet to have that problem. Some of the jerseys were signed nearly 20 years ago and they are still as fresh looking as the day they were signed with a black sharpie.

Again, each to their own in what they collect and what they decide to do with those items once in their collections.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

paul457
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Funny I stumbled upon this because I am looking to have a couple team issued and game used jerseys signed...

It seems Sharpies fade over time or become washed out, but isn't that mostly due to UV exposure? Has anyone had good luck with a paint pen signature on a jersey? I'm wondering if paint pen would crack or chip if the jersey was flexed. I have signed footballs and helmets, but the jersey signature seems to be a little more tricky.

IMHO, the only thing cooler than a game worn jersey is the same jersey, signed by the player.

Buzzybean
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
This is a dumb question, its like does someone buy a exotic ar and never drive it???:eek:

It's not a dumb question and your comment makes no sense, Sir.

Buzzybean
01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Funny I stumbled upon this because I am looking to have a couple team issued and game used jerseys signed...

It seems Sharpies fade over time or become washed out, but isn't that mostly due to UV exposure? Has anyone had good luck with a paint pen signature on a jersey? I'm wondering if paint pen would crack or chip if the jersey was flexed. I have signed footballs and helmets, but the jersey signature seems to be a little more tricky.

IMHO, the only thing cooler than a game worn jersey is the same jersey, signed by the player.

If you are concerned that the signature may ruin the jersey, why bother getting it signed?

Buzzybean
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Regarding the comment that the autographs bleed and fade over time, maybe I have been real lucky, but I have yet to have that problem. Some of the jerseys were signed nearly 20 years ago and they are still as fresh looking as the day they were signed with a black sharpie.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Can you post pics of these signatures on the jerseys, please? I'd like to see myself how well these have held up over time. You certainly may have lucked out.

gingi79
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Many hockey collectors have found a way to have their cake and eat it to. The fight strap.

Many collectors have the fight strap signed, thereby getting their favorite item adorned with the player's John Hancock but it is hidden from view so collectors who don't want autographs on the items are still just as interested.

While Football, Basketball and baseball don't have this option, I just wanted to pass it along for hockey collectors.

MLB~NUT
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
It's not a dumb question and your comment makes no sense, Sir.
Typing on a ipad, while feeding a newborn a bottle of milk! Lol:D I meant itd be like buying a corvette zr1 and never driving it because your afraid the value will drop! It lost its value when you drove it off the lot! I say its your jersey once you buy it, and to me its about the memory of meeting the player who wore it seeing their reaction to it, and having them sign and or inscribe it in front of you! Which to myself is a pretty damn cool experience! Seeing how most memorabilia comes signed nowadays anyway, I prefer my items used by players I collect to be signed by them as well!!!:cool:

64SHEA
01-21-2013, 02:21 AM
It seems the op is upset at the very thought of someone having a jersey signed. Your concern could also apply to a non game used jersey. I have a few signed jerseys and have never had any problems. An autograph doesn't just fade something causes it to fade be it UV light, humidity, contaminants, temperature, et cetera. Personally I prefer my game used items to be signed preferably inscribed with "game used" and the date (if known). Its a personal preference. You don't want your jersey signed don't get it signed.

trsent
01-21-2013, 06:18 AM
@Joel - You've found that "most collectors" prefer having signatures on their game used jerseys? What is their rationale? Just curious as to your take, as you seem to have a lot of hobby experience.

I think others have explained it well. The talk of all signatures on jerseys fading or smearing is just silly. If you use proper pens signatures last. People often use the wrong pen or wrong location, but most people know how and where to have a jersey signed.

I have found collectors appreciate a signature on the jersey overall. A few die hard game used collectors on here appear opposed to this, but most people like a signature to enhance value. An inscription such as "Game Used 2009" also looks nice to many and most collectors.

Not every collector is a die hard. Most are casual collectors and big fans.

Samets
01-21-2013, 07:02 AM
I personally do not have a single jersey autographed and stay away from autographed jerseys but if I had a chance to meet the athlete and have him personally sign the jersey, it would be a keeper for me.

Preston
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
I see both sides of this argument, but as a previous poster said, using the correct pen is CRUCIAL...for me I typically stay away w/ jerseys w/ white numbers signed in blue Sharpie - that's asking for disaster. I've gotten a few of my gamers signed but for EVERY one of them I've used paint pens and those are good long-term.

I'm all for getting non-gamers signed, I've got quite a few of those, but for gamers I'm VERY selective. For instance my Eddie gamer from the playoff game I got him to inscribe "1-3-04 Baltimore" and sign it - navy numbers, silver decocolor paint pen. Looks great and decos have long been known to not fade.

Again, personal preference, but if I feel like there's a great enough chance to where the right jersey is signed w/ the right pen in the right situation where the player can take his time and does switch pens, then I'm for it. But if not, I would choose to get an alternate item signed. I do prefer buying game jerseys UNSIGNED if at all possible so that I can have the choice to either get it signed or leave it unsigned.

Mulligans
01-21-2013, 04:48 PM
I personally enjoy getting my Football Jerseys signed.....I would also add that many NFL players swap their GU Jerseys with each other and most of them have them signed.......That's GOOD enough for me!!

The never ending debate....to sign or not to sign....to wash or not to wash????

You just gotta understand that its a personal choice and your position is not automatically the correct one........

MLB~NUT
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I personally enjoy getting my Football Jerseys signed.....I would also add that many NFL players swap their GU Jerseys with each other and most of them have them signed.......That's GOOD enough for me!!

The never ending debate....to sign or not to sign....to wash or not to wash????

You just gotta understand that its a personal choice and your position is not automatically the correct one........

X2, Thank you:D

gadsden86
01-21-2013, 06:33 PM
I have found this thread to be a great amount of info on what i thought was the norm of all people wanting there jresey signed.
I am on the side of getting it signed, I have a few jerseys that i am hoping to get signed and part of the reason i haven't gotten them framed.

I think that this is the little kid in me. I am 29 and still LOVE to meet players even if they are younger than me it is a hoot.
I think at that point if i can get them to sign a jersey if i have it it makes it that much more personal and less of a chance i will sell / trade it.

Just my 2 cents,

MUSEOVEN
01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Hello i have almost my jerseys signed and i loved the look and the face of the person Who used the jersey when they sign :)

JDubbs73
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I, too, can see each end of the equation here. I lean more towards the "purist" side in wanting to preserve the game integrity of the item. Though having the opportunity to share it with the player has to make it that much more meaningful. It has been interesting to hear everyone's opinions and/or position.

G1X
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Can you post pics of these signatures on the jerseys, please? I'd like to see myself how well these have held up over time. You certainly may have lucked out.

As Joel, Preston, and others have stated, the secret is not so much having good luck as it is using the proper pen and avoiding things in the envrionment that will cause the signature to fade. Black sharpies have seemed to work well for me, but I am not making any endorsements one way or the other on the type of pen to use.

Posting photos really wouldn't prove too much as I did not photograph the jerseys when they were originally signed, so there is nothing to compare the current signatures to with regards to degradation, fading, etc. All I can say is that I have had a few jerseys signed over the years, and also purchased a few that were already signed, and I have never had a major issue with fading, smearing, etc.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

jjwatt83
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I see both sides of this but I have alot of jerseys signed as well and none of them have faded over the years. My only issue is I usually like to display the back of a jersey with the name showing but when signed on the front it gets hidden.

frikativ54
01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
I see both sides of this argument, but as a previous poster said, using the correct pen is CRUCIAL...for me I typically stay away w/ jerseys w/ white numbers signed in blue Sharpie - that's asking for disaster. I've gotten a few of my gamers signed but for EVERY one of them I've used paint pens and those are good long-term.

What do you think about using the following pen on jerseys and bats:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400375975330&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

or

I already have a fine point Pen-Touch.

LMK what is best.

Jags Fan Dan
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
To the original question posed here, I will tell you I don't really have a preference on whether a jersey is signed or not. But it seems lately, if you collect certain teams, a lot of the stuff is signed before it even comes on the market. I currently have 8 Cincinnati Reds game used jerseys on display, 7 of which are signed, none of which I personally got signed nor did I acquire them because they were signed. That is just how it worked out. If I were picky about having unsigned jerseys, I think it would be tough to acquire a lot of Reds jerseys.

Desi
01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Just personal preference. My first hobby was collecting autographs ever since I was a kid. As I moved on from getting baseball cards signed, I moved on to photos, to a bit bigger items like mini helmets and baseballs, onto premium items like retail jerseys. Ever since I started collected game used items, as an autograph collector, it was just another thing I wanted to get signed.

Again, there are both sides to this topic, but is all boils down to preference. I'm not one to sell my items, so the debate of value doesn't enter my mind. I'd prefer to obtain something unsigned, and try to get it signed eventually myself.

-Desi