PDA

View Full Version : Team/store employees wearing GU items..

marino13
01-28-2013, 02:49 PM
I dont know if this subject has been discussed before, if it did, my bad. :D

But if it didnt, now would a good time for it.

This is MY Jeter's GU cleats - which happened to be worn by one of employees. If I didnt know about it, I would not care. But when a friend alerted me with this picture and how the former employee boasted on FB for wearing Jeter's cleats and the "idiots" that spent some ridiculous money on it.

There were worst story on the employee's FB page - taking batting practice with GU bats and hitting GU baseballs with it. WTF!

What would you do if you see your GU stuff being treated as such?

:mad:

joelsabi
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
FB link? kinda disturbing.

frikativ54
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Same thing happened at Mariners FanFest, and I almost didn't buy the helmet because of it.

Klattsy
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Is someone alerting the teams to this? This is a complete lack of respect. Worst bit is, I reckon these people would be the same kind of people that would continue to do it out of spite to "those "idiots" on the internet... "

Imagine if HOF employees where doing the same thing. In fact, what if items that where under team control ended up in the HOF after this kind of thing.

sox83cubs84
01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Unless it were damaged in post-player use, I wouldn't care.

Dave Miedema

esquiresports
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't really mind if an employee wore a jersey, cap, shoes, etc. so long as they did not stain or otherwise negatively affect them (e.g., stretch them out). For all I know the jerseys I have purchased from someone other than the player himself have been worn by the prior owners. I have no clue and I have never bothered to ask.

Hitting with game used bats and hitting game used balls alters them is obvious alteration. I would bother me to the point where I would not knowingly purchase them.

joelsabi
01-28-2013, 07:14 PM
I wouldn't really mind if an employee wore a jersey, cap, shoes, etc. so long as they did not stain or otherwise negatively affect them (e.g., stretch them out). For all I know the jerseys I have purchased from someone other than the player himself have been worn by the prior owners. I have no clue and I have never bothered to ask.

Hitting with game used bats and hitting game used balls alters them is obvious alteration. I would bother me to the point where I would not knowingly purchase them.

I like to see to the comment or photos about doing BP. That why i wanted a link. Its probably been deleted by now with this alert.

marino13
01-28-2013, 07:17 PM
I like to see to the comment or photos about doing BP. That why i wanted a link. Its probably been deleted by now with this alert.

The FB account is no longer open to public. The picture was screen-captured and sent to my inbox.

joelsabi
01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
The FB account is no longer open to public. The picture was screen-captured and sent to my inbox.

figures. would be interesting to see the photo of BP. was that what you capture or also the comments?

GameUsedGR61
01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
this reminds me of the seinfeld episode where george costanza was wearing babe ruth's uniform and purposely getting food stains on it to get fired :p

i would definitely alert the team about that because its just a lack of disrespect. people who work in retail stores dont wear items they are currently selling so why should this not apply to them:mad:

joelsabi
01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
this reminds me of the seinfeld episode where george costanza was wearing babe ruth's uniform and purposely getting food stains on it to get fired :p

i would definitely alert the team about that because its just a lack of disrespect. people who work in retail stores dont wear items they are currently selling so why should this not apply to them:mad:

i would think wearing a cleats isnt a big deal and only deserves a warning at most. but adding use to bats and baseballs to your company's product, I would think could be a fire-able offense. what do you guys think?

frikativ54
01-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Unless it were damaged in post-player use, I wouldn't care.

Dave Miedema

Why wouldn't it bother you, O Mr. Miedema? :confused:

jbean023
01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Where did this happen at?

mbenga28
01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
What's the difference, if any, if an employee wore or used the items compared to a private collector who did the same thing before selling it on Ebay, etc.?

marino13
01-29-2013, 09:12 AM
What's the difference, if any, if an employee wore or used the items compared to a private collector who did the same thing before selling it on Ebay, etc.?

I guess this falls under - if I dont see it AND it is not mine, then I dont care.

The same thing can be said - if your tires got slash and you didnt see it happen, I guess it doesnt make a difference. But on the other hand, if I caught the mofo in the act, he will be on the stretcher with multiple "game used" bat wounds while waiting for EMT to arrive to save his ass. Not to mentioned some "Jeter's cleats' marks on his head.

just saying! :D

joelsabi
01-29-2013, 10:56 AM

one does not own the item and the other does own the item while selling it.
one is paid to take care of the item and the other is not paid to take of the item while selling it.
one is bound by a company's code of behavior and one is not.
one is a team source and once is not.

yankees24
01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
one does not own the item and the other does own the item while selling it.

one is a team source and once is not.

How does team partnerships work? I thought the companies purchase these items from the teams, then sell them to them public for profit. So aren't they technically the first owners of the item?

joelsabi
01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
How does team partnerships work? I thought the companies purchase these items from the teams, then sell them to them public for profit. So aren't they technically the first owners of the item?

you are correct. steiners has a direct relationship with the teamsource, the yankees.

yankees sell directly to steiner and then steiner sells to private collectors. so its one more step removed from original ownership to get to a private collector. so disregard that one point. thanks

just waiting for the evidence that batting practice was done with GU bats and balls. so far its hearsay.

mbenga28
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Speaking of Steiner, have any of you toured their warehouse? Are you allowed to handle game used items or does an employee wear gloves and holds it while inspecting? If they let you touch the items, imagine someone with dandruff visting the warehouse, tries on a game used hat for fun then a collector buys it though their website and gets this customer's flakes in that cap thinking it was the player's.

trsent
01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Speaking of Steiner, have any of you toured their warehouse? Are you allowed to handle game used items or does an employee wear gloves and holds it while inspecting? If they let you touch the items, imagine someone with dandruff visting the warehouse, tries on a game used hat for fun then a collector buys it though their website and gets this customer's flakes in that cap thinking it was the player's.

Gloves like the cooks at McDonalds wear?

joelsabi
01-29-2013, 01:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGfxyNNWQJM

I remember watching this and seeing that they have a baseball court set up but no batting cage in the warehouse. correct me if i am wrong.

marino13
01-29-2013, 01:46 PM

I have been at the warehouse many times in the past and it is a place you can lose your mind over if you are a collector.

As far as I know, you can handle stuff but you cant try them on and see what it looks like on you - hat, jersey and so forth.

If they ever hold a contest - grab what you can in a NEW YORK minute, I know where all the Jeter bats are stored. The same can be said about Jeter's jerseys.

HawaiiSportsNut
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
I personally am against having an employee wearing or abusing the game equipment. It's like going to a restaurant & having the waiter sampling my food after the chef plates it.

frikativ54
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
I personally am against having an employee wearing or abusing the game equipment. It's like going to a restaurant & having the waiter sampling my food after the chef plates it.

I like the analogy. :)

yankees506
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
I've been to the Steiner warehouse at least ten times and NOONE wears gloves/ protective equipment to handle anything. I've touched everything and anything collictible you can imagine the difference is I'm a collector so I'm conscious of where and how I place my hands on an item I.e. not touching tar on bats. However if an average Joe where to handle the items we all love they would not handle them with the same care we would. Theres really nothing we can do about that because 99% of us buy from companies and companies usually aren't full of people who appreciate and love this stuff like we do. I just wish the companies didn't appreciate them either so they can stop killing my wallet. :D :mad:

sox83cubs84
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Why wouldn't it bother you, O Mr. Miedema? :confused:

I used to wear many of mine myself, plus I personally find the attitude overly meticulous and picky. Jersey collectors can collect in whatever fashion they choose, but, for me, collector wear, unless it caused damage or stains, wouldn't be an issue.

Dave M.

flaco1801
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Dave, i feel the same as you...the new breed somehow believes that the shirts come off the players back and never been touched by anyone but the new owners....i always washed the shirts i've purchased before it ever made it into my closet, then i would wear it whenever i felt like it....now i would have to prove that the shirt was never washed and the dna in the fabric was the players....

marino13
01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I've been to the Steiner warehouse at least ten times and NOONE wears gloves/ protective equipment to handle anything. I've touched everything and anything collictible you can imagine the difference is I'm a collector so I'm conscious of where and how I place my hands on an item I.e. not touching tar on bats. However if an average Joe where to handle the items we all love they would not handle them with the same care we would. Theres really nothing we can do about that because 99% of us buy from companies and companies usually aren't full of people who appreciate and love this stuff like we do. I just wish the companies didn't appreciate them either so they can stop killing my wallet. :D :mad:

I dont think average Joe will have access to the warehouse unless someone invite them to go to the place.

Maybe it's me, I have flashback of "dont touch anything" or "You break it - you own it" mentality, I dont touch stuff unless I have the intention to buy. Or like you said, handle it with care.

Back to the topic at hand, if I was going to purchase something and I dont like how the item is being handled, I am just going to walk away and leave it at that.

Klattsy
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I think we are getting confused with touching and wearing/using. Obviously a lot of people are touching GU items. It's inevitable and I don't expect them to wear gloves (although its good enough for the HOF - best practices and all that). People touch retail items all the time putting them on shelves ect. But NO-ONE in any retail outlet would, in their right mind, try something on, prance around and then put it back on the shelf.

Once the item is bought, I don't care if people chose to wear it. But those that DO want to buy items "directly off a players back/head/hand/foot" need to be allowed to. You think we're outlaying tens (in my case) or thousands of dollars to buy something Bob in dispatch has worn?

I'm surprised at the "meh" attitude actually. I thought a lot more members would be paranoid about it. Some say as long as it doesn't do any more damage, but how do you GUARANTEE that from not happening? Don't wear it in the first place!

Ah well, each to their own.

marino13
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Here is the ruckus at steinersports warehouse....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwrxd5vfj_c

... You be the judge!

gingi79
02-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Here is the ruckus at steinersports warehouse....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwrxd5vfj_c

... You be the judge!

I just got off the phone with the idea of Integrity. It has never met and denounces Brandon Steiner.

jppopma
02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
While they don't wear them at Comerica, many of the Tigers jerseys get very dirty on the shoulders from thousands of fans looking through them on the hangers.