PDA

View Full Version : Randy Moss "I am the greatest WR of all time"

gingi79
01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

As usual, football's most humble receiver opened his mouth and placed his size 14 cleats right in it. I am amazed when any over age 20 claims anyone not named Jerry Rice is the greatest ever but Moss has been defended by fans on ESPN and a few radio call in shows.

The first thing that popped in my mind was my dad's voice. "The greatest Wide Receiver of all Time is Jerry Rice. When you have to declare to the world "Look at me, I'm number 1!" You aren't. When every defense you played against tells you, He's the best I've ever played against. Guess what? You are."

trsent
01-29-2013, 01:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8893843/super-bowl-2013-randy-moss-says-greatest-wr-ever-play

As usual, football's most humble receiver opened his mouth and placed his size 14 cleats right in it. I am amazed when any over age 20 claims anyone not named Jerry Rice is the greatest ever but Moss has been defended by fans on ESPN and a few radio call in shows.

The first thing that popped in my mind was my dad's voice. "The greatest Wide Receiver of all Time is Jerry Rice. When you have to declare to the world "Look at me, I'm number 1!" You aren't. When every defense you played against tells you, He's the best I've ever played against. Guess what? You are."

Moss was pretty damn amazing when we lined up across the field from Cris Carter. GOAT? That's another story.

CampWest
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
He was great.. He is a no doubt HOFer. But he is not better than Jerry Rice.

I could defend Moss at around #2 or #3... but his idiocy of making that statement while a member of the San Francisco 49ers is comical.

It may be splitting hairs a bit to decide who would have been better if they were on the same team at the same time... but with the changes in the game that took away a lot of what defensive backs can do, I think Rice would be even more dangerous today than he was in the 80s.

EurekaDave
01-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Well, consider the timing of it--Superbowl week. He loves being talked about. Personally, I think Terrell Owens is the best of all time (just kidding!).

jake33
01-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I have said this before. You could argue that Jerry Rice was so good that if you split his career in 2 parts, you could have TWO hall of fame wide receiver's. That alone is pretty amazing. My favorite all time wide receiver was Andre Rison, but Andre's numbers don't outdo one of the halves of Jerry Rice's career.

From 1985 - 1993
708 receptions
11,776 yards
118 TD catches
a then record 22 rec. TD's in a season
2 time super bowl champion
8 time pro bowler
7 time all pro

From 1994-2004
841 receptions
11,119 yards
79 TD catches
1 time super bowl champion
1 time AFC champion
5 time pro bowler
3 time all pro

BrianK
01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
If Moss had worked out as hard as guys like Rice or Michael Irvin, who knows how great he could have been.

I will say my opinion of Randy Moss changed one night a few years ago when he was a Raider. Players were at Wal-Mart buying Christmas gifts for foster kids. (I was a CASA for one of the kids - a great program by the way, if anyone's interested in helping a foster child.) We were guessing which players would or would not show up. Naturally Moss was on the 'will not show' list for most of us. But we were wrong. He was fashionably late and in a limo, but there he was. And he spent as much time with the kids as they wanted. Nice.

tella27
01-29-2013, 05:32 PM
To be the best you have to have class. Look at all of the "Best" in sports and you'll see all of them had class. Moss has no class at all and has always been looked at as a locker room problem and a player that takes plays off.

Moss will always be one of those guys like TO that people will say could have been the best but only played for themselves.

Shipp_96
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Randy Moss will be a HOFer and IMO is in the top 5 of all time. He is no Jerry Rice, and no one else is even close to Mr. Rice. I'd make a case for consistency sake Steve Largent is the second best WR ever. Moss was incredible in his early Vikings days, his record breaking season in NE and has restored some luster back to his career this season. Winning the SB is all that is missing from his resume, and he could add that this week.

But I lived in the Bay when I used to watch 5'11" CBs out jump him when he was with the Raiders and had his hands on his hips. He had one great game in Oakland, that Thursday night opener against NE and the rest were average or he didn't show up. To me that and his NE-Minny-Tenn year take away from his other wise brilliant on field career.

jake33
01-30-2013, 05:02 PM
This is a pretty interesting stat that is very notworthy and in favor of Randy Moss though....

This is a flawed stat, but still an interesting snapshot of career games vs. recieving TD's scored.

Average percent of games a receiving Touchdown was scored
Moss = 71.5%
TO = 69.8%
Marvin Harrison = 67.4%
Rice = 65.0%
Cris Carter = 55.5%
Largent = 50%

sox83cubs84
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM

+1. Moss is a talented goofball.

Dave Miedema

ramsrule
01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
I think he is in the top 5 - 10 somewhere, the sad part is, he really could have been so much greater if he had stayed focused, and committed, and not taken "plays" off.

arjos
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
As a raider fan I was very pleased to see the Niners lose the superbowl and the biggest reason is Randy Moss. He was one of the worst signings ever. Is he a great athlete? absolutely but unfortunately his work ethic combined with his lack of team play make him who he really is, A true Ass. I hope he never gets in and winds up like T.O. as the butt of all jokes.

Roady
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Jerry Rice is the greatest of all time. I don't know if we will see his records broken.
Randy Moss = Loads of talent, lazy, scared of the middle of the field, big mouth.