PDA

View Full Version : My Updated Davis Collection

EricDavis44fan
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
A few years ago I posted a thread showing my Eric Davis collection. I haven't posted in a while, but I have enjoyed seeing the collections others have shared with the board. Here are updated photo's of my Eric Davis collection which has grown lately. I've gotten a lot of help from members of this forum, and I have learned a lot from this board. This place truly is a great resource!

Thanks for looking!
Dave
(Always looking for Eric Davis gamers)

ChrisCavalier
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
A few years ago I posted a thread showing my Eric Davis collection. I haven't posted in a while, but I have enjoyed seeing the collections others have shared with the board. Here are updated photo's of my Eric Davis collection which has grown lately. I've gotten a lot of help from members of this forum, and I have learned a lot from this board. This place truly is a great resource!

Thanks for looking!
Dave
Wow Dave! That is some Eric Davis collection! Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

-Chris

solarlottry
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
WOW!!! I remember him from his days with the SF Giants and always liked him. That is one hell of a collection you have managed to put together.

He is one of those players that always played fairly well but was never a superstar. I think that helps immensely when trying to put together certain player collections. It makes it just a tiny bit easier for other collectors to part with jerseys such as Davis etc as another one might pop up as compared to superstar shirts. Plus he played for a number of teams thus more of his gamers are out there.

I collect 49er shirts and specific players in the same manner as you collect Davis. I like to buy multiple gamers of single players as well as jerseys from each team they have played for.

An example of a similar player collection would be my Ricky Watters collection in that he was not a superstar, he played for 3 teams and his shirts are somewhat reasonably priced. I am still looking for an Eagles gamer of his though!!!

It is good to know that there are other collectors such as ourselves who love to buy multiple gamers of the same player. Makes me feel less weird as people always ask "why do you need so many jerseys of the same player?". I think it is one of the reasons the hobby is so much fun in that each jersey is different and I really enjoy examining and photo matching them all.

Always buying 49er gamers!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

onlyalbert
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Love those ED Cardinals items! Where did you get em?

EricDavis44fan
02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Chris, thanks for the comment! It's fun tracking the stuff down, and putting it all together!

Paul, I agree with you 100% on a mid level player like Davis. He had a good career, but is not the superstar status, so his jerseys stay moderately priced. I've been a Davis collector since '86, and I like the fact he played for 6 teams. It makes it more interesting having various teams jerseys of the same player. And I like making friends with various team collectors/experts. Everyone knows me as the Eric Davis guy. It's funny, when I'm at a card show, dealers see me and start digging their Davis cards out!

onlyalbert, Thanks for the comment. I bought the Cards jerseys from a Cardinals dealer several years ago. I've photomatched the red jersey. But I really like the home jersey. Shows good use, and gotta love a jersey with blood stains! Lol!

Thanks,
Dave (Always looking for Eric Davis Gamers)

EricTheRed44
02-03-2013, 09:24 PM
I wish I had snagged that Giants glove! Also, that Dodgers helmet looks great with the jerseys and bats.

I will have to make do with my bookend jerseys of his.

Well done Dave. It all looks great!

Murph4Prez
02-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Your collection is amazing!

My best friend growing up was a huge ED fan... we got to meet Davis at a spring game a long time ago, was a nice guy.

I hope to one day have a Murph collection that rivals yours... but I'm not holding my breath haha!

jppopma
02-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Did you pick up that Tigers Davis on Ebay a couple weeks ago? I had a hard time staying away from that one for you. Nice collection.

EricDavis44fan
02-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Joe, I really like the glove, I'm glad I got it. But I'm sure you will find something to pry it away from me one day to go with your Giants stuff!

Murph, hang in there. Stuff always pops up when you least expect it. And Murphy is a great player to collect!

JP, yes that is the jersey that was on Ebay. Thanks for stepping aside for me! The seller says he believed the name and numbers on back were restored, if it is, then someone knew what they were doing. I can't see signs of restoration anywhere. My '93 Davis was restored, but you can see evidence of the restoration.

Btw, the Tigers road jersey, #44, is a 2006 team issued jersey that was issued to Eric. It's not game worn. I got the Jersey and pants (with team tagging) the helmet and hat directly from Eric as a gift for helping out at Redsfest a few years ago. Even though it's not game worn, still a very nice piece to add to the collection.

Dave

arjos
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I really admired Eric Davis as well. I'm a Giants fan and he was a player you had to respect. In the early part of his career I thought he was a can't miss hall of famer. As for the solarlottry (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=4047) the niner collector I just got through reminding a niner fan that if you go look at Waters final numbers they are a hell of a lot more then you thought they were. almost 15,000 total yds from scrimmage. a lot of numbers but not an HOFer in anyone's mind.

rdeversole
02-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Fantastic collection Dave! It's nice that your collection spans his career fairly evenly. I bet it makes for one great display.