PDA

View Full Version : Opinion wanted

cohibasmoker
02-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello sports-fans. I need you opinions. I've attached 2 scans to this thread. Is the face-mask worn by #33 Reggie Rucker white or grey? My opinion does not count and I would say, when looking at the photos, compare the face-mask to the chinstrap and front bumper of Reggie's and other players helmets.

Thanx,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

yosef777
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
He wore both but in the photos you included it appears grey.
BTW, the painted, plastic two bars don't seem to 'hold' the paint like Schutt metal, masks that are dipped in a rubber-like substance.

ironmanfan
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
the top photo is obviously gray, if for no other reasons the Browns never wore white face masks during the time period when the Rams still were using the white horns on their helmets.

the bottom bottom appears to be gray as well whie the rest of the team are wearing white.

cohibasmoker
02-04-2013, 06:30 AM
the top photo is obviously gray, if for no other reasons the Browns never wore white face masks during the time period when the Rams still were using the white horns on their helmets.

the bottom bottom appears to be gray as well while the rest of the team are wearing white.

Terrific observation about the Rams helmets - I never thought about that - thanx

John in KY
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM

the bottom bottom appears to be gray as well whie the rest of the team are wearing white.

Terrific observation about the Rams helmets - I never thought about that - thanx

Ironmanfan - take a closer look at the top photo. Rucker is oviously wearing the 77 - 83 orange pants with the wide brown/white/brown stripes. I think the photo just washed out the Rams player - he has to be wearing the yellow pants and have a yellow horn helemt - the Rams went to that set in 1973; the Browns didn't go to orange pants until 1975 (but the stripes were thin 1975-76). Also the ram horns don't go all the way down to the edge of the shell as they did in the white horn days since they were painted on. The Rams player is just at an angle where we can't see the ram horns on the jersey.

I think in both photos Rucker is wearing a grey face mask - or maybe one where the white paint had already worn off.

John in KY
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Sorry guys; don't know how that got double quoted.:o

commando
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I think the photo just washed out the Rams player - he has to be wearing the yellow pants and have a yellow horn helmet - the Rams went to that set in 1973; Also the ram horns don't go all the way down to the edge of the shell as they did in the white horn days since they were painted on. The Rams player is just at an angle where we can't see the ram horns on the jersey.

John is correct here. The Rams player is defensive back Pat Thomas, who was with the club from 1976 through 1982. He later coached for the Houston Gamblers in 1984 and 1985.

cohibasmoker
02-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the information. I wanted opinions before showing the helmet. Thanx again,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

cohibasmoker
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Just received my Browns helmet. Inside the helmet is a Riddell warranty stamp dating the helmet shell to 1977. The scans I found of Reggie Rucker wearing a grey face-mask and the #33 were dated 1978. So, combined with the warranty sticker, the #33 written on the webbing and scans from Getty images, I am confident the helmet is a legitimate Browns' helmet worn by Reggie Rucker.

Thanx again for the help,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

commando
02-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Hot damn. That thing is nice.

mickeymbz
02-07-2013, 04:20 PM
here is a youtube 1979 game vs cowboys,,with rucker recieving a catch from sipe with grey facemask
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js5T9GwZWfY

cohibasmoker
02-08-2013, 06:51 AM
here is a youtube 1979 game vs cowboys,,with rucker recieving a catch from sipe with grey facemask
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js5T9GwZWfY

Wow - very nice and no doubt now. Mickey, can you send me a email? My address is below.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

commando
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Here are some screen shots from the Browns vs. Cowboys game on Sept. 24, 1979.

Dawg Pound
02-15-2013, 08:41 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/science/index.ssf/2012/05/ex-brown_reggie_rucker_on_foot.html

Its funny how the mind works. When I saw your post I knew I had seen the helmet before. I'm working from my ipad so limited with how to upload pics hence why I included the story from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Pic show a different vantage point from the photos on getty images. There looks to be some distinct scratches above the right ear hole. Maybe that can help you photo-match.

Also, you can see one of the 3's on the back of the helmet. Pretty common that the Browns would put the players number (one on each side of the helmet stripe) on the back of the helmet during that era.

Nice find!