PDA

View Full Version : eBay - Astros Jacket

cohibasmoker
02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
I was checking this item out when I noticed the Wilson tag. To me, it doesn't look right. I emailed the Seller and he have not responded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200886775873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What are your thoughts,

Jim

both-teams-played-hard
02-13-2013, 12:49 PM
The Wilson tag was used after 1978.
Looks like the patches were added after the fact.

The collar and cuff striping don't look like the Astros.

At least, mis-identified...

sox83cubs84
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
offered.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1970-TOPPS-32-HARRY-WALKER-IN-EX-CONDITION-/00/s/MTA5N1g3OTU=/z/ZowAAMXQbXtRCHpC/$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwY4BRCHpCpu5w~~60_57.JPG

sox83cubs84
02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
The previous post shows the style being discussed being worn by manager Harry Walker on a 1979 Topps card (1969 photo). Comparisons can be made to the eBay item from this.

BTW...a former Forum member sent me a link to this as well with questions. He also sent the seller an email denoting the tagging inconsistency, and also has not received a response.

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
BTW...a former Forum member sent me a link to this as well with questions. He also sent the seller an email denoting the tagging inconsistency, and also has not received a response.

You get the euphemism of the night award, Dave. :p Perhaps we should call a spade a spade and say "a member banned from this site for rule violations and/or being detrimental to the collecting community."

both-teams-played-hard
02-13-2013, 11:50 PM
offered.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1970-TOPPS-32-HARRY-WALKER-IN-EX-CONDITION-/00/s/MTA5N1g3OTU=/z/ZowAAMXQbXtRCHpC/$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwY4BRCHpCpu5w~~60_57.JPG

I stand corrected. Thanks Dave!:)

both-teams-played-hard
02-13-2013, 11:55 PM
This Wilson tag was first used used in 1978. Does anyone know the history of this style jacket? Hard to believe that it could have been worn by Bouton.

cohibasmoker
02-14-2013, 06:17 AM
You get the euphemism of the night award, Dave. :p Perhaps we should call a spade a spade and say "a member banned from this site for rule violations and/or being detrimental to the collecting community."

I too received a couple of emails from a past forum member. Just because a member stops posting threads on this site does not mean he/she was BANNED FOR RULE VIOLATIONS OR BEING DETRIMENTAL TO THE COLLECTING COMMUNITY". What would make you assume that?

I don't know who Dave was referring to but in my case, the guy I know stopped posting because of the petty bullshit and personal comments made by forum members against other forum members.

Now, back to the jacket - BTPH brings up a point - the sleeve and collar stripes do indeed look different. So, if the card photo is from 1969 as Dave says and the eBay item is supposed to be from 1969, the eBay jacket does not match-up to the jacket style in the card.

Just some thoughts - hope I didn't offend.

Jim

frikativ54
02-14-2013, 06:34 AM
I too received a couple of emails from a past forum member. Just because a member stops posting threads on this site does not mean he/she was BANNED FOR RULE VIOLATIONS OR BEING DETRIMENTAL TO THE COLLECTING COMMUNITY". What would make you assume that?

I wasn't intending to cause a fight, but it was my understanding that the only way someone becomes a former member is if he is kicked off. Otherwise, under one's status, it would say "member" or "senior member" or whatever. I apologize if I am wrong, but this was my understanding.

Now, back to the jacket - BTPH brings up a point - the sleeve and collar stripes do indeed look different. So, if the card photo is from 1969 as Dave says and the eBay item is supposed to be from 1969, the eBay jacket does not match-up to the jacket style in the card.

As for the jacket, there are not the same number of collar stripes on eBay as there are in the picture Dave posted. And they aren't even the same color, so I would be hesitant to place a bid in this auction.

MikeSharon
02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
If you will look at the photo on the card you will see a texas state flag patch on the sleeve the jacket. Thwe Astros did not wear the flag patch in that era so the photo is of an old colt .45 jacket that had an astros patch added over the embroidered colt 45 logo. The astros were a very cheap team back then ( and some would so today too) and reused just about everything. I have seen several Colt jackets with this astros patch added and the flag patch never removed . Im not going to comment on the tags or the jacket in the auction because i havent seen them but I am 100% certain that the jacket on the card is a Colts jacket that is being reused.

both-teams-played-hard
02-15-2013, 12:06 PM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3055/bou3.jpg

Size tag was used well after the Bouton era.

genius
02-15-2013, 12:14 PM
The striping looks like the Chicago Bears.

cohibasmoker
02-16-2013, 08:41 AM
The striping looks like the Chicago Bears.

My thoughts exactly. I did have a Guinness last evening !!!!!!

I've attached scans of a Astros jacket I recently owned. The label dates the jacket from 1974-77. When comparing the eBay jacket to my jacket, my jacket appears to have different elastic sleeve ends but is similar to the photo that Dave provided.

Jim

sox83cubs84
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Actually, the jacket can be narrowed down further, to 1974. In 1975, the Astros went to the Rainbow design on jerseys and jackets.

Dave Miedema