PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmemorabilia.com GU Items

MaicoSays
02-17-2013, 04:47 PM
I am inquiring about the reputation and feedback some of you may have with Sportsmemorabilia.com.

When you call them, Pat Somerall (Sp?) is the automated recorded personnel you hear for a time being, guaranteeing the authenticity of the products at this business.

I have collected some of their autographed photos (Emmitt Smith, Jay Ratliff, Dez Bryant / Michael Irvin) for decent prices around $100 for 16x20 photos with JSA certs. (Only Ratliff was witnessed; others are opinions)

I am looking to get some of their GU gear but am unsure of how reputable they are in terms of forking over more for these kinds of items. Do any of you guys have feedback or testimonials good or bad about this company?

I have done extensive research on Google and some of the possible negative relations seem to be a bit foggy and not absolutely concrete.

Thanks!

BrianK
02-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Not sure if you know, but most of their game used stuff is also listed on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Game-Used-Memorabilia-/50116/i.html?_sadis=200&_sasl=b-e-collectibles&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_samihi=&_fpos=&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_oexkw=&_sop=10&_nkw=&_okw=&_fsct=&_ipg=50&_saslop=1&_samilow=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_sabdhi=&_udlo=&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_adv=1&_dmd=1

GMEN92
02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I bought some GU cleats and other stuff from them.and and all seem s to be 100% legit

dplettn
02-18-2013, 11:29 AM
It may depend on the particular item, source, or chain of custody. Seeing that they have (and continue to offer) Kevin Freistat / KLF Sports items with issues (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=53200), I personally would have major cause to hesitate. They still offer at least one of the items which at best is missing multiple important disclosures:

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/joey-votto-game-used-2010-all-star-bat-mvp-season-1st-all-star-game-psadna-reds1.html

Its tough for any of us to give any venue the proverbial "thumbs up" to sellers/venues, but in this case I'd suggest looking at the game used offerings much like you'd look at eBay. They are sourcing from at least one seller who certainly doesn't abide by full disclosure. That isn't to say their sources otherwise aren't impeccably straight forward people.

Research and vetting out potentially bad items is always important, and perhaps especially so here.

GMEN92
02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Could be a coincidence but seen a seller on ebay name jhustle1 whos selling ny knicks Gu stuff.. but it seems his background in the photos is same as this guys so probably same guy too.. i could be wrong

cohibasmoker
02-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Not sure if you know, but most of their game used stuff is also listed on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Game-Used-Memorabilia-/50116/i.html?_sadis=200&_sasl=b-e-collectibles&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_fss=1&_samihi=&_fpos=&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_oexkw=&_sop=10&_nkw=&_okw=&_fsct=&_ipg=50&_saslop=1&_samilow=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_sabdhi=&_udlo=&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_adv=1&_dmd=1

I bought an item from these guys and it was NOT as advertised. When I contacted them, they were very courteous and expressed concern their item was not authentic. I sent the item away to PSA/DNA and it was NOT authentic. I sent the item back to them and within a couple of days, I got my money back and an apology.

No complaints from me,

Jim

dplettn
02-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Could be a coincidence but seen a seller on ebay name jhustle1 whos selling ny knicks Gu stuff.. but it seems his background in the photos is same as this guys so probably same guy too.. i could be wrong

More likely it is a situation where the "Sportsmemorabilia.com" business model caters to a seller who wants dual (or more) channels for distribution. That in and of itself isn't nearly the biggest issue, I don't think.

The problem may rear its ugly head because (comments here suggest) Sportsmemorabilia.com has created an aura of legitimacy that would serve the naiive collector to assume all items on its platform are legitimate, as described. It is staking its reputation for the items.... effectively using celebrity spokespeople to "guarantee" items which are marketed under its umbrella. So, are they vetting the items and the completeness of disclosures about them?